Nirvana 100+ PS caps

fishmalt

Nirvana 100+ PS caps
« on: 21 Mar 2010, 07:27 pm »
I did a search but didn't find as much as I thought I would . . . could be my "search" skills. . .

I built the AKSA Nirvana 100+ a few years ago and I want to experiment with different caps in the PS.  I currently have the 8 x 4700uf 63v Nichion Gold Tune electolytics that came with the upgrade. . . .

What else are others using out there?  I realize different isn't always better but I would like to experiment with this and let my ears be the final arbiter . . .actually probably my emotional system . . . (I guess my Limbic system mediated by my frontal lobes will actually make the decision . . . :)) . . . okay a bit of a tangent . . .so I would like some feedback from those who've experimented with their Nirvana 100+ power supplies . . . or what caps in the Nirvana 55 would also be helpful . . .

BTW I can and have built many kits and upgrades over the years but my electronic knowledge base is a bit slim so please keep the language somewhere along the lines of "electronics for dummies (or reasonably intelligent people with limited electronic intelligence) . . ."

Thanks for the help in advance. . .

Regards,
Mike

fishmalt

Re: Nirvana 100+ PS caps
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2010, 07:14 am »
I guess I'll respond to my own question so I don't feel dissed . . .:-)  Hugh responded to my personal e-mail stating that using the LF power supply in the Nirvana 100+ will:

"give you a palpable improvement in sound quality because it isolates rectifier charge pulses to the first cap near the rectifier block, and voice coil return earth currents to the second cap, closest to the amp."  I will use the Hugh recommended caps for this change, the Nichicon 4700uf 63V Gold Tune

So the design changes in the PS may be all I need, I'm also getting a second board to try another set of caps. . .  maybe the Mundorf Mlytics . . . just for comparison sake. . . .

Also, I was going to switch out a few resistor types (maintaining the same values) to see how they impact the presentation . . .

Based on the lack of response to this post this must be an area people have not done a lot of capacitor experimentation.  I recognize different doesn't necessarily mean better but I'm interested in letting my hearing be the final arbiter of what gives the best experience in my system, in my room, etc.

Thanks Hugh for the amazingly quick response to my inquiry and ideas regarding the PS.

Mike
Anchorage, Alaska 

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2010, 12:36 pm »
My pleasure Mike,

Your package sent two days back now......  here's hoping it makes it to the top of the US of A real quick.

I must say I smile approvingly when people say they will let their ears be the final arbiter.  All this faith in the Audio Precision One has led many people up the garden path.....  there's more to it than thd!

Cheers,

Hugh

hybride

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2010, 01:01 pm »
Hi Mike,
I have some experience with PS cap's. It's impossible to say this is good and this is bad. My personal experience is that the ESR characteristics of elco's does influence the sound. I have the LF100 amp and did some little experiments by adding different elco's to the PS, just to challenge the reference. Adding Panasonic FM's (2000uf with ultra low ESR)) had audible effects in the upper high tones, they became more dynamic, but also a bit harsch and unnatural. In the end i came to the conclusion that the Nichicon gold tune, which Hugh uses are perfectly matched with the amp (not really a suprise ;-)). At the moment i added 4 same Nichicon Gold tune, the same as Hugh used. I get slight more control, without changing the sonic character of the amp.         
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2010, 03:52 pm by hybride »

stvnharr

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2010, 08:07 pm »
I did a search but didn't find as much as I thought I would . . . could be my "search" skills. . .

I built the AKSA Nirvana 100+ a few years ago and I want to experiment with different caps in the PS.  I currently have the 8 x 4700uf 63v Nichion Gold Tune electolytics that came with the upgrade. . . .

What else are others using out there?  I realize different isn't always better but I would like to experiment with this and let my ears be the final arbiter . . .actually probably my emotional system . . . (I guess my Limbic system mediated by my frontal lobes will actually make the decision . . . :)) . . . okay a bit of a tangent . . .so I would like some feedback from those who've experimented with their Nirvana 100+ power supplies . . . or what caps in the Nirvana 55 would also be helpful . . .

BTW I can and have built many kits and upgrades over the years but my electronic knowledge base is a bit slim so please keep the language somewhere along the lines of "electronics for dummies (or reasonably intelligent people with limited electronic intelligence) . . ."

Thanks for the help in advance. . .

Regards,
Mike

Mike,
You might also like to consider swapping out the philips diodes with schottky's, 16CTQ100PBF.  They are drop in replacements and available from digikey for not too much.  I've used them and recommend them.

fishmalt

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2010, 08:33 pm »
Thanks for the responses! 

Anybody (including Hugh . . . :eyebrows:) try using a slightly larger cap in the PS such as the Nichicon Gold Tunes 6800uf 63v in place of the 4700uf's.  I've always had difficulties getting my bass "just right" which of course is difficult for many systems due to room environments, speaker matching, etc.,

I use room treatments (as much as my spouse allows) as my listening room is "our" living room.  I really noticed an improvement in "tightening" up my bass response when I increased a few caps in my Audio Note DAC 3.1 kit power supply and have wondered if this strategy would possibly generalize (I recognize there are no guarantees) to my amp.

My system currently is an Audio Research CD-2 used as a transport with and XLR connection to my Audio Note DAC 3.1.  I currently use a Convergent Audio technology SL-1 Ultimate preamp and have modded my WAD 300B PSE mono block amps to match the input impedance and gain of my AKSA Nirvana 100+ and use these in a horizontal bi-wired arrangment.  My attempt to get the SET magic on top with SS bass control on the bottom. . .

Rhythm Willie

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2010, 11:15 am »
I just added 4 Nichicon Goldtunes(1 per rail) to the new power supply as I have large speakers that can get down to 17Hz (highish current demand) and the new amp modules once "run in " have plenty of control on the 2 bass drivers per channel. Wonderful "feel it in the chest, can't hear it but I can feel it" bass.

Tonight I had a bit of work "stress relief" after a hard week and have just now enjoy listening to music.

I was so relaxed and inspired that I connected up my Hughes and Kettner valve amp and my Parker Guitar and just played along with Dire Straights  "On Every Street".

I now feel so happy with the amps that I can't thank Hugh enough. My best purchase ever.

PS Will bring some nice deep black Barossa Shiraz to drink with you next time I'm in Melbourne.

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2010, 11:24 pm »
Wow, Dennis,

That's real nice, thank you, the best I can manage is Air Guitar Hero, a spectacle so comical the family laughs for days......

Mike, the rendition of bass in amps and speakers is often related to topology as well as cap choices.  I found that the differential input pair typically used actually reduces bass impact;  the Lifeforce has a modified input stage which actually promotes strong bass, and the Soraya has a series differential input stage (rather than the parallel, conventional LTP) which enhances bass further still.  Caps are certainly important, but they are not the only factor.  It's all a bit strange.....

I will drink Barossa's finest with you Dennis, thank you Sire, bring on your next Melbourne visit!

Hugh