Where do I (we all) go next in 2009?

kyrill

Re: Where do I (we all) go next in 2009?
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jan 2009, 10:31 am »
Hi Andy,

Yes all set.  I may have to come straight from work but if I can look after them OK during the day, I may bring some vinyl as well as a CD track or two. :D

Hugh, that 'synergy' (or at least 'compatibility') aspect between components I find very real.  I'm just so happy that my speakers and CD player go so well with your kit though at least we knew they (Soraya and GK1) worked well together and nothing was selected without a lot of listening.

Incidentally, every change/improvement I've made over the years has relied on a lot on such patient listening and then they have pretty much been incremental in degree.  I suspect that this may be part of the problem with Theo's DEQX set up.  It is a system capable of implementing complex/compound variations at the press of a button and I find myself rather bewildered and without an adequate aural reference base very quickly after a few rapid changes.  Even for a single change, it often takes me quite a while to come to grips with all aspects of it - hours, days or even longer.
  That's why I tend to only change one thing at a time if possible on my system and why I struggle with coming to grips with mass change such as a DEQX can bring.
:duh:

Maybe i am too simple for the complexities of DEQX as i dont experience them. DEQX automates it all given a good measurement My whole focus is on getting the measurements right. After measuring I choose for instance
3 different cross over freqs. I dont play too much with the slope between mid and trebble. I keep that 60 db/oct
with the 3 diff Xovers i can switch in a second after some listening  and choose my best. Then i keep the bass/mid x over constant and play with 3 different slopes and play with the measurement windows. Within 2-3 days of calm listening i have my "best" setup. Room EQ is also easy but it need some work with the mic at the listening position. Ah well this is not a thread about DEQX, but the transparency it gives as soon as normal xovers are out of the way, makes DEQX perfectly unmissable for me

gerado

« Reply #41 on: 18 Jan 2009, 01:27 pm »
Hi Andy,
if there is not too big a crowd I will be there :thumb:

I will just bring my ears and enjoy.

With regards to the other issue, high expectations are a large part of my problem. Nothing to do with individual components but a lot to do with that unmeasurable synergy and what I expect. How many of you would say that your system does "the lot". That is not the same as saying that you enjoy your system and that you are quite happy living with it. I may be unrealistic? I want that earth shattering base when its in the music, one that I ca feel more than hear, a midbase that just swings you along, a midrange that just sings and a liquid relaxed top end. Above all, the whole lot integrates and just draws you in. All systems must be a compromise, and must reflect the priorities of the owner where the strengths lie. I just found that when I tried to be uncompromising I failed. I learned a lot, I still had fun, but did not end up where I wanted. The DEQX allows great flexibility, but like all things powerful can be misused. For me the DEQX is a "keeper" but getting back to the subject of the original threat I feel I need to go simple, set up a system to do few things really well rather than all things average. Go back to where it all started, a GK a CD player  a Life Force and a simple pair of good sounding speakers, but not my current pair :deadhorse:

Tliner

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jan 2009, 12:07 am »
Hi All,

It is very interesting to note that most on this thread understand that after all the numbers have been crunched final tuning of a system is done by ear. When I first heard one of Hugh's systems and had a good discussion with him I was pleasantly surprised that he developed his amps in a similar way as I develop speakers. I use the word synergy when I try to design speakers to suit the upstream components.

Everything must work in harmony, with the signal flowing from component to component without enhancement. This process may seem a long journey to to achieve the result. It is!. But the results are rewarding even though Hugh continues to bring rabbits out of the design hat. But that is all in the process after many hours of listening. Likewise the speakers are then tweaked to be as articulate as possible in faithfully delivering "the sound".

Tliner

AKSA

« Reply #43 on: 19 Jan 2009, 12:24 pm »
Andy,

Like Arni, I'M BACK.....

Can I come tomorrow night, please?

Hugh

gerado

« Reply #44 on: 19 Jan 2009, 01:17 pm »
I PM you details if you want a lift

T

andyr

« Reply #45 on: 19 Jan 2009, 07:20 pm »
Andy,

Like Arni, I'M BACK.....

Can I come tomorrow night, please?

Hugh

Haha ... no problem, Hugh.   :D  So you've completely recovered from your travel debilitations?

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #46 on: 19 Jan 2009, 09:14 pm »
Thanks Andy,

A listen to your system is always a great experience, thank you.....

Not completely, but almost.  At 37C today I decided not to resume my exercise regime, perhaps tomorrow I shall start jogging again.  Man, am I out of condition   :scratch:

Hugh

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #47 on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:55 pm »
Andy,

I’m sure I speak on behalf of all the others but thanks for your hospitality and the chance to hear a great system last night.  For my part, everything was good but hearing the fabulous sound stage and your vinyl components working so beautifully were probably the aural highlights.  :beer: Thanks for the lift Theo and good to see Hugh back safe and meet Laurie.  :wave: As vinyl is clearly one area I could improve in my system, I now have something further to think about re where I go in 2009.  Damn. :banghead:

gerado

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:37 pm »
Thank you Andy for your hospitality once more,

a very enjoyable evening once again with a man with the best vinyl set up in the West :guns:

that sound stage ohhh that sound stage.
And its just going to get better with the new upgrade on the maggies

Good to meet you finally Laurie

And Hugh, considering your new little treasures I heard briefly before going to Andy's, you deserve another holiday as a reward! All you AKSAfiles will not know what hit you. Wow is it good!

T

andyr

« Reply #49 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:49 pm »
Thanks, guys - it's always a pleasure to display my wares!  :thumb:

And Hugh, considering your new little treasures I heard briefly before going to Andy's, you deserve another holiday as a reward! All you AKSAfiles will not know what hit you. Wow is it good!

T

Wow!  What is this??   :o   :o   :D

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #50 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:26 pm »
Andy,

Thank you very much for your hospitality last night.  It is always a pleasure to see you in your home!

Ah, and the system sounded wonderful!  That sound stage......  I really think the Maggies sing in your listening room, something to do with the gable angle, too.

Talk later about the new stuff.  A new product line, nothing more......

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #51 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:43 pm »

That sound stage......  I really think the Maggies sing in your listening room, something to do with the gable angle, too.

Thanks, Hugh.

Yes, I've always thought that I did the right thing, sonic-wise, 22 years ago when I specified that pitched roof ... particularly with Maggies being so tall (although I hadn't envisaged I would be getting some when I designed my "listening room"!  :lol: ).

The gable angle was specified as 100 deg ... which, if you draw floor-to-ceiling reflections on a sheet of paper, maximally disperses the sound "rays".  (90 deg would produce never-ending reflections.)

A new product line, nothing more......

Cheers,

Hugh

Oh is that all, Hugh ... I had assumed it was something much more exciting!  :green:   :P

Regards,

Andy

Tliner

« Reply #52 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:55 am »
Hi All,

What a wonderful system you have Andy. It really makes vinyl live and the Cd's were superb too! I would kill for your dedicated "listening room". A lot of good design work there. Your Maggies are the best I have ever heard and the slam and definition of the bass surprised me, it really did! I was amazed the way the sound attenuation tubes changed the sound stage, bringing it right forward.

I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and being able to put faces to the names was the icing on the cake. Thanks again Andy, really appreciated.

When will we have another appreciation evening?. I'll be down the Mornington Peninsula next week, but will be on the loose the week after.

Andy, when will go to Hugh's you will experience that "something more exciting" without a doubt.

Theo, thanks for being the cheaufer in your limo, made the evening.

Yes Lyn, I must revive my vinyl too. But what a goal Andy has set.
Regards to all,
Laurie

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #53 on: 22 Jan 2009, 05:05 am »
Laurie,

Been thinking about vinyl for sure but how far to go is the question.  I'd only have about a tenth the albums that Andy has and could not afford to emulate his TT and cartridge but something above what I have now would be good.

Pity you are at the Peninsular next week as that is the only week I have free (weekdays) for the next month.  I could still accommodate my place next Tuesday as an option though. :D

gerado

« Reply #54 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:07 am »
Mmmm if there is a crowd Im in.

Now Im getting the urge to set up again in return. But will definitely not be my previous rig.

andyr

« Reply #55 on: 22 Jan 2009, 08:02 am »

Hi All,

What a wonderful system you have Andy. It really makes vinyl live and the Cd's were superb too! I would kill for your dedicated "listening room". A lot of good design work there. Your Maggies are the best I have ever heard and the slam and definition of the bass surprised me, it really did! I was amazed the way the sound attenuation tubes changed the sound stage, bringing it right forward.

Regards to all,
Laurie

Thank you, Laurie.   :D  It's great for me that other people feel my efforts have been worth it.  :thumb:

Re. "the slam and definition of the bass surprised me" ... IMO, that comes from 3 things (which not many Maggie owners do):
1.  A braced stand which holds the panels rigid.  (Newton's law at work ... the stock Maggie feet are laughable.)
2.  Replacing the stock MDF frames with custom-made hardwood frames (that was a bloody huge effort!  :( ), and
3.  Going active, so the LFs are able to exert an iron-fisted control over the large bass drivers (with no coils "in the way")!  :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

Tliner

« Reply #56 on: 22 Jan 2009, 11:16 pm »
Hi Lyn,

I'm going to clean up the TT, re lube it and check the belt etc and the pick up arm gimbals for free movement. That done, I will have to clean up the remaining vinyl. Unfortunately I gave a lot of the Lp's away and now only have about 100. Fortunately I kept some very old and collectable Miles Davis, Monk etc. Hey there is even a Herb Albert Lp somewhere. I think that escaped the purge.

I'm not going to spend a cent on the vinyl set up as it was a fairly good setup when I changed to Cd's. The amp is a Luxman 507X, Grace arm and Stanton 681EEE cartridge with a Garrott stylus. The TT is a JH with a light weight platter. The platter when oiled sits on an damping air bubble on top of the spindle so cushioning the platter from the base, works very well even though it is very simply. The speakers are KEF transmissionlines. The vinyl system is 100% vintage and although it sounds reasonable it is not in the same league as Hugh's Soraya amp and the VSonics.

Andy, hard work pays off particularly when  tuning a system. I dipps me lid sire!. As far as speakers go there is nothing like a solid box or in your case a substantial frame. The box or frame should not transmit any vibrations at all.

Cheers,

Laurie

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #57 on: 25 Jan 2009, 11:41 pm »
Laurie,

I've done exactly the same with my vinyl rig - quite original but in my case I do run it through the GK1 and Soraya and common speakers.  So strictly in the context of this forum, its simply an alternative source to my Arcam CD player and something that could potentially gobble up funds as an alternative to any Aspen upgrades.

By the way to those that have expressed an interest, I'll be home Tuesday night just listening so if you want to pop around, just let me know.  PM if you need an address. :|

gerado

« Reply #58 on: 23 Feb 2009, 01:12 am »
Could not stand it any longer.
Had to have some music again.
I have chosen to go to the other extreme this time and go as simple as I could. Got a Fostex full range driver 206E, ported box, LF100, CD drive with volume control.
No passive crossover to worry about and all the advantages of active amplification without an active crossover. The Lifeforce direct injecting the full range driver is quite startling.
For a living area system it is very satisfying on many levels. The GK once finsihed with the mods should add an added level of warmth (I hope).

Anyone else using a full ranger with Aspen equipment?

T

Tliner

« Reply #59 on: 23 Feb 2009, 03:42 am »
Hi Theo,

Last year a friend brought speakers with Fostex full range drivers connected to my LF100 amp. I can't remember what the model of the Fostex was though. The speakers sounded very smooth although lacking slightly in the top end and the bass was typically bass reflex. For general listening they were far superior to a lot of commercially available multi way speakers. We later fired up the VSonics but they are in a different league. SEAS has a top end full range driver out in their range. And all reports say it is very good but the price is over $A1200 each without a box etc. Here is a un researched comment but I feel has some substance. Full range drivers of quality are not cheap. A similar quality tweeter and mid woofer configuration with a two way cross over can offer more performance at a slightly cheaper cost. But if time of building a full range speaker with xover is taken in to the equasion it could well work out cheaper for lack of xo parts.

Cheers,
Laurie