Where do I (we all) go next in 2009?

LM

• Lyn
Where do I (we all) go next in 2009?
« on: 1 Jan 2009, 07:11 am »
Even though I have limited holidays this Christmas/New Year period, I must still have far too much spare time.  On one hand, I am completely happy each time I sit down and listen to my set-up.  Surely there is little more improvement to be had.  On the other hand, I can always visit Hugh for a coffee as I did a few days ago.

Stupidly, I listen to the Soraya 2 mated to an early GK2 prototype (or whatever Hugh is actually going to call it) and of course the latest iteration of the now fabulous sounding VSonics.  Damn it’s good.  Then maddeningly, the man starts to talk with a far away gleam in his eyes about ‘other ideas’ that he has.  Fingers in the ears don’t help – you have to take them out to drink your coffee!  I feel an awful gnawing at my soul and my self control slipping away.  Here I was, thinking simply about adding the Bob Crump suggested bypass resistors to my TKD GK1 volume control, or perhaps the low noise transistors or even an additional new cap or 2 beyond my previous Platinum and Solens upgrades.  Perhaps even saving up and eventually going the Soraya 2 upgrade path.  But now I realise that even thinking it ‘might’ all stop has been a creative exercise in self-delusion and there are more 'goodies' to come.

So I just wondered if anyone else on this forum has any firm plans on where they are going with their systems in 2009?  Particularly those with a sane and simple approach I may learn from.  I’d love to hear.  aa

DSK

Re: Where do I (we all) go next in 2009?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2009, 08:48 am »
Lyn, the answer lies within your own words .... once you are happy, do NOT listen to any more of Hugh's offerings!!  :duh:

You and I know that Hugh's designs outperform competitors at multiples of their price. Unfortunately, Hugh will never make any money selling his designs as kits as kit buyers are a savage bunch who tend to count up the parts cost and blast the designer if he charges much more than that. They care little about the massive R&D cost and the fact that competitor models cost substantially more. If Hugh is to survive he MUST release some fully assembled products and price them according to the competition. Some of us have been beating this dead horse for a long time now. I believe the GK2 and Soraya/2 will only be available as fully assembled components and will be priced closer to what their performance demands. Hopefully this will break Hugh free of the "kit mentality" crowd and bring him the recognition he truly deserves from the broader audio community.

Unfortunately, times are now tougher than they were not so long ago and my wife cut off my left nut when I purchased speakers a couple of months back. Especially given some upcoming house renovations. So, it will likely be quite some time before I am able to upgrade to Hugh's latest and greatest. The question is, do I go visit Hugh and come away knowing what I am missing, or stick my head in the sand and pretend it just can't get any better?  :scratch:

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2009, 01:19 am »
once you are happy, do NOT listen to any more of Hugh's offerings!!

Ahh, but there’s the rub mate - I CAN’T HELP MYSELF!!

You raise a very good point though as I have a foot in both camps - having both the Soraya as a fully assembled product and the GK1 as kit based.  That’s bad as I have to split my dollars and thought processes between the two camps.

I suppose I had more of a light hearted ‘dream’ approach when I started the thread but you have me rather frightened now with thoughts of nuts going missing.

Tliner

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2009, 01:05 am »
Hi Guys,

I have a fair idea of what Aksaphiles will be doing betwen a full spend up and moderate equipment updates, drooling over Hugh's new creations, :drool: no doubt about that!

Each amp and now preamp update creates problems or rather challenges further down the music delivery chain. The VSonics may have to have an update with no expense spared components to match the system front end. But to date there is not a screaming need for that, but what an exercise for 2009, just to keep up with Hugh.

While Hugh is away why don't some Aksaphiles have a GTG one day at one of the favourite Burgandy St haunts or have an Aksa appreciation arvo? Could make his ears burn a bit I recon with a few accolades thrown in here and there.

I gotta have one of those new pre amps though, it is very high on the must have list even though it is a week or so since I heard it. But the Soraya sounds pretty good without it but has the potential of sounding a hell of a lot better.

Yes LM, we are all on that treadmill of lust or whatever !

Happy listening???

Cheers Tliner

Seano

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2009, 09:59 pm »
I'm interested in what Hugh and his partners in crime come up with in 2009.....for example, I await the VRumble (or whatever Hugh decides to call it) with real intent. For those that aren't aware it's a transmission line bass reinforcement speaker to accompany the Vsonics...(well done, Laurie).

But will I buy?  Probably not.  Despite the fact that I've heard the Soraya and the Vsonics.....I just don't have the readies or feel the need to go further than what I have in terms of electronics. So the Soraya and its future brethren are out - not even under consideration.

But I do have a niggle that some Vsonics might come my way in the next eighteen months or so...plus I also have a light touch over some used Aksonica that might come to some HT buffonery....

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2009, 11:48 pm »
Guys in US have favorable currency rates now, AKSA prices are 30% lower than 6 months ago.

Tliner

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:17 am »
Hi richidoo,

I don't know specifically what Aksa prices are, but most equipment made in Australia use imported components which have prices increase by some 30+% recently. Component importers in general did not reduce prices when the $A was nearly on par with the $US. Every time the $A dips they seem to use the lower $A as an excuse to hike prices out of proportion to the exchange rate variations.

It's all roundabouts and merry go rounds. No one really wins!

Tliner

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:57 am »
I'm just looking at AUD/USD chart. I didn't notice AKSA raising prices in that time. You're right things are in fast flux now with AUD coming back strong at the moment. Bailout borrowing will dampen dollar, so this might be a unique opportunity to buy Australian!

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2009, 03:06 am »
richidoo,

Wish I could get a 30% discount on Aspen Gear at the moment – I’d make hay while the sun shone.  You are right, it may well be an ideal time to buy Aspen.

Laurie, hopefully prices will not have to rise for a bit.  As to that ‘treadmill of lust’ comment, it got me laughing.  I’ve always thought of myself as having ‘upgradeitis’ before, not ‘sonic lust’.

Tliner

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2009, 06:56 am »
LM, At least you have admitted to "sonic lust". But that's pretty pure and acceptable around here. I recon if there was a head count there would be a lot more sonic lusters too!. After all, what drives in many decisions in life from time to time?.

I think that there should be a bit of slack on the prices front in the near future. Although some of my suppliers are making noises about price increases which have originated from manufacturers.

Cheers, Laurie

andyr

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2009, 01:40 am »

While Hugh is away why don't some Aksaphiles have a GTG one day at one of the favourite Burgandy St haunts or have an Aksa appreciation arvo?

Cheers Tliner

Providing there were less than 10 of us - which I expect there would be! - :D I'd be happy to host an AKSA GTG.  I live in Prahran - just between Punt Rd & Chapel St.

You get to listen to:
* a GK-1 which has every tweak except SoniCaps on the input and the upgrade package which West has been putting together (which hasn't arrived yet  :( ).
* stock standard LF100/55/25.
* 3-way active Maggies, and
* a top-flight vinyl system.  (A CDP is available for those who want to hear their favourite silver disks.  :D )

This could be one evening next week (say @ 7:30pm) or the afternoon of Sat 17th/Sun 18th (say, 2pm)?  :D

Regards,

Andy
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2009, 03:02 am by andyr »

Tliner

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2009, 03:00 am »
Hi Andy,

Great offer! (depends which end of the woods you live in though) I would like to listen to the maggies, I've been told a few snippets about them from time to time.

One evening early next week would suit me fine. What do others think?

Laurie

andyr

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2009, 03:03 am »
Hi Andy,

Great offer! (depends which end of the woods you live in though) I would like to listen to the maggies, I've been told a few snippets about them from time to time.

One evening early next week would suit me fine. What do others think?

Laurie

Hi Laurie - I've edited my post to include the fact I live in Prahran.

Let's see who else pipes up!  :D

Regards,

Andy

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2009, 05:05 am »
Andy,

A generous offer and would love to come but it’s not possible for me next week - drat. :duh:  The following 2 weeks would be OK though.  I hadn’t yet gotten around to discussing the availability of my place with my better half as I’ve been a bit busy but it’s a possibility as well.

AKSA

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jan 2009, 01:24 am »
Guys,

I'm sitting uncomfortably at a PC station far too small for me at Sri's family home in Semarang.  I've just read through the comments, and thank you profusely for positive tone.

First up, thanks Darren, yes, I have to build assembled product, and the kitset business was probably a necessary prelude to a solid reputation as this industry is competitive.  Next step has to be a review, if I can find anyone locally.

Next, I don't take all the credit.  There are (fortunately!) many people behind Aspen.  One man can't do it all.  Laurie (aka Tliner), the brilliant designer of the Vsonics, Richard in Mt Gambier South Australia (my home town) who has built many variants of the AKSA and now the GK2 and done extensive listening tests;  Colin Brown, the Canadian carpenter/musician who builds my amps and has been deeply involved with the Soraya;  Siva, a genius level mathematician in Bangalore who has helped with simulations and a close analysis of second order phase lead;  Ron in Kent UK who has built and is presently testing a GK2; and even a few notables on DIYaudio who have abused me big time and prompted me to learn LTSpice, something I'm rapidly coming up to speed with and which has accelerated development greatly, to my surprise.

Since leaving the IT industry in 2001 (this is where my quals lie) I have given my entire work time to audio, and loved it.  I won't be stopping any time soon.  I feel invigorated by my Indonesian trip - it's enervating physically but immensely interesting - and will enjoin the challenges of 2009 with renewed energy, grateful for the luxuries we all enjoy in the cold, distant West.

Andy, your kind offer for a GTG is extremely kind, and I really appreciate it.  Your system has wonderful sound, and will impress all who hear it.  And that reggae version of Dark Side of the Moon is one of the most hilarious pieces of well done musical humour I've heard, up there with Gerard Hoffnung!!

The present AUD/US exchange rate reflects the flight of foreign investment capital back to the US recently but I can't see it lasting, since there are still funds in the US and Europe awaiting investment and I would expect it to move back to the AUD, raising it's price, as interest rates here look like increasing somewhat as inflation begins in a few months, reflecting the huge amount of pump cash injected into the Oz economy by our government.  I doubt it will rise much over US80c but it will not drop further in my belief.  This does make it a good time to buy, particularly as in the next quarter I may be forced to increase prices somewhat to reflect increased inventory costs.

My return to Indonesia after 25 years has given me a unique opportunity to see changes I glimpsed in 1983 and which have seen the rapid expansion of a dynamic middle class, of which my wife's family is a member.  In Sri's family home there now live Sri's elderly Mother, three couples and their children, altogether 18 people and a live-in maid.  There are two Toyota cars, one new, a 1942 Jeep in good condition, and seven single cylinder motocycles.  The house is large, air conditioned, close to central Semarang, a bustling, hilly and dense city of 3 million, and the children - at least two for each couple - seem to be raised by the entire complement of adults.  This tends to even out any deficiences in personality, leading to well balanced individuals.  It is very difficult to convey the warmth and sense of belonging of the extended Indonesian family.  It is roughly similar for me to being raised in a country community surrounded by my cousins on all sides, but not the same because we never actually lived together.  Possessions here are all shared, yet ownership is never disputed, and the harmony, particularly over a meal, is extraordinary.

I estimate the middle class has tripled to 20% in 25 years.  This is now an intensely competitive commercial environment, with huge takeup of modern technologies like motor vehicles, cell phones, computing, and cameras. The cinematography I see on the local TV channels is the equal of anything I have seen in Oz and America, possibly better, certainly more dynamic and fast moving.  The traffic is utterly bewildering, although I have driven some distance across town without incident.  There are literally no road rules, but an exalting cooperation and tolerance, which makes Oz look very aggressive and hostile. Wherever one goes in the cities there is a parking attendant who for 20c or so will guide you in an out to a suitable space with the utmost courtesy.  The roads range from superb, premium tollways where one could drive at 200 kph right down to mud pits (on main roads too) where a 4WD would be most suited.  Stopping at traffic lights can be harrowing;  human spectres with faces like death appear from time to time with hands outstretched, begging for a few rupiah (presently around 7,700 Rp to the AUD).  And yet the shopping malls are the equal of anything I've seen in the West, fully air conditioned, glitzy, and VERY expensive - I paid $AUD4 for a lousy cup of coffee in one recently.  Clearly there are many wealthy people here, around 10% of the population.

I visited a local TV station with Sri to interview a retired Major General who is a candidate for the forthcoming general elections.  His adviser has worked with Taksin Shinowat, and Dr Mahatir, an impressive track record.  This guy was quite a performer on TV, essential here, and probably stands a good chance as his platform is 'justice for the poor people'.  But his opponents are formidable since they will fight for the status quo which raised them to power and wealth.

I've found the weather not too bad.  I've almost acclimatised with about five days.  I do not find it too hot any more, but am relieved to sleep in an air conditioned room.  This is the rainy season;  there are two or three downpours each of 25 mms in the late afternoon and evening;  but temperatures are seldom more than 28C. 

Not much English is spoken.  I've had to trot out my rusty Indonesian, but it's coming back to me finally.  People have been marvellous, and many try their schoolday English and most middle class Indonesians and business people have passable, understandable English.  But there are many other languages, too, including three distinct Javanese languages, which are widely used within the family.  My comprehension is difficult, but I can always get my point across.  Last night I chatted with a serving LTCOL in Army Intelligence over dinner for more than an hour and managed to convey something of life in Australia, which really interested him (of course!).  Generally, the Indonesian mentality is dynamic, yet unconcerned with the rest of the world, so an Australian might as well come from Europe, or America - we white faces tend to be lumped together.

In all families there are the bright ones.  Sri has a nephew and a niece who are both very clever, but because of administrative issues largely related to insufficient funds cannot proceed with their education.  In this competitive society, everything has a price, but exactly what that price is is often not conveyed, if you get my drift.....  This sort of thing frustrates me, and I can see a bit of help is needed.  We have helped out with the family before, and look forward to doing so again.  The concept of Indonesian family has really been brought home to me, and I really do enjoy it.

Tomorrow we fly to Jakarta, then on to Pekan Baru in Sumatra to see Sri's brother and his family.  After three days we return to JKT to stay with a retired General, his wife is a close friend of Sri's and two of his children were educated in Melbourne.  Then we return home by Singapore Airlines around 20th.

Seano, I look forward to getting you into a VSonics kit on return!!

Cheers, and thank you all for your interest and support, and here's hoping 2009 is not the ridiculous recession the pundits would have us all believe,

Hugh 

andyr

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jan 2009, 01:35 am »
Andy,

A generous offer and would love to come but it’s not possible for me next week - drat. :duh:  The following 2 weeks would be OK though.  I hadn’t yet gotten around to discussing the availability of my place with my better half as I’ve been a bit busy but it’s a possibility as well.

No problem, a week night during the w/b 19th would be fine.

Is that OK with you too, Laurie?

Any more takers?  :D

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan 2009, 02:10 am »
No problem, a week night during the w/b 19th would be fine.

That would be wonderful.  Thanks Andy.   :drool:

Tliner

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jan 2009, 02:35 am »
It's great to hear that Hugh is having a good time reacquainting with the Indonesian way of life. Things certainally do change over time!

Andy,
The evening of the 19 or 20th would be fine by me. The 21st is the first meeting of the Melbourne Audio Club at Nunawadding Civic Center for the year, so that night is out for me.

Cheers,
Laurie

andyr

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan 2009, 08:11 am »
OK, Lyn & Laurie ... how about Tue 13th?   :thumb:  EDIT: Tue 20th!    :oops:

Is 8pm OK ... or would you prefer 7:30pm?   :D

Address is: 63 Greville Street, Prahran ... off Punt Rd between High St & Commercial Rd.  Phone: 9510-5268.

Bring whatever CDs you'd like to hear (but my CDP is no great shakes ... a H/K CD-R20 which I mainly use for recording my vinyl).  :D

Any other takers ... c'mon Marty - get off your backside!  :lol:

Regards,

Andy
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2009, 08:56 pm by andyr »

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2009, 08:43 pm »
Andy, has to be the ws 19th for me.