Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #80 on: 6 Nov 2008, 07:12 am »
Added Black Maple Hill 16 to the list.

acresm22

« Reply #81 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:23 pm »
Just enjoyed some Basil Hayden 8 yr. old for the Holidays. Very, very nice.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #82 on: 9 Jan 2009, 09:56 pm »
Bache-Gabrielsen Pure & Rustic FINS BOIS Echallat Single Estate 1975 (René Gommet, 35 years old) I decided to go with 2 of these...

Bache G continues their Pure and Rustic series of extremely limited numbers ca 7-800 bottles per series.
I also have dibs on a bottle of Bache Gabrielsen Sérénité Très Vieille (Made by: Jean-Philippe Bergeier, Cognac is ca 35 years old...)

Getting these babies soon, any day now. On order! (These are priced very moderate by Bache, $70 - $75 I think). Normally this old Cognac would be very pricey!!
This is the only Cognac I like. Anthing else I just think is to mellow. (I'm more of a whisky fan...) But this series is really something!!

Update:
Tasting Sérénité:
This is a Cognac with a mix of 50 year old and 35 year old parts of Ugni Blanc and Folle Blanche.
Smooth! Oh so smooth!!! Typical grande champagne (a bit of a bite at the end..)
Finite body, meaning it is like a decaying note on a piano... It slowly but firmly sets into a sort of cask taste.

Imperial

« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2009, 06:30 pm by Imperial »

DeanSheen

« Reply #83 on: 14 Jan 2009, 02:25 am »
My story.

Been drinking Irish whiskey, scotch and tequila for years.  Every year around the holidays I get a whiskey related gift.  Last year it was Michael Jacksons Whiskey book, this year it was a pair of proper Waterford crystal tumblers and a copy of Whisky mag.  Also my in laws in England always send me a bottle of Scotch for Christmas.

Anyways I've always stayed away from Bourbon except for the last year when I have occasionally sampled around.

Was down in South Beach over New Years hanging out at our hotel which had no Irish whiskey and a lousy scotch collection.  Id already had the only tequila I was interested in so the bartender suggested some Woodford Reserve.  Ok, fine, I'll have a bourbon.  Tasted it and was immediately reminded of Red Breast which I love.  After I got home I researched it and found out that Woodford is a pot still like Readbreast which accounts for the similarities but it's 20 bucks a bottle cheaper which is nice.

So I ran down to the store today and grabbed a bottle of Woodford.  The store I go to in Cleveland here didn't have any of the bourbons I had been reading about so I had to come home and order a couple off the net.

I am eagerly awaiting bottles of:

Van Winkle Family Reserve, 13 Years Old

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/van_winkle/whisky4354.html

&

Bernheim Original Straight Wheat Whiskey

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/bernheim/whisky3121.html

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #84 on: 15 Jan 2009, 11:02 pm »
Kentucky bourbon facts..... Three Sheets - Kentucky....... :thumb:

ecir38

« Reply #85 on: 8 Feb 2009, 07:04 am »
Old thread and just briefed through it and not sure if this has been mentioned yet but every bourbon lover should put this on his list to do.

http://www.kybourbonfestival.com/

The latest bourbon I have been enjoying is eagle rare 17 yr. old.

BR

DeanSheen

« Reply #86 on: 8 Feb 2009, 03:51 pm »
^^

How many other BTAC do you have from this year?  I've been enjoying the ERSB 10 yr old alot.

I'm going to go down for the Bardstown sampler this year.

ecir38

« Reply #87 on: 8 Feb 2009, 05:22 pm »
Over the past year:

Russell Reserve to me is one of the better Wild Turkey's

Blanton's

Jefferson Reserve

to name a few

Ocasionally I will buy a bottle and keep it on the end table in the living room and sip on it a few times a night until all is gone. Not getting drunk just enjoying the flavor :green:.

BR

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #88 on: 22 Feb 2009, 10:02 pm »
Woah!

This one arrived finally! Talk about late delivery!!!
Over a month "missing" in transit!
But now I got it.  :o Norwegian postal services lost my first two bottles... (uhm, somebody nicked em?)
But I got two replacements!
Gave one away (present) and now I've tried the other one.
And seriously!!!
Cognac at it's finest for a price one can pay without having to cry about it!
Very suave stuff!
Mmmmmm!!!
Bache-Gabrielsen Pure & Rustic FINS BOIS Echallat Single Estate 1975. 35 years old liquid amber!!!

Definitely a connoisseurs Cognac this!

Here is how one drinks this:

1 cup of coffee, 1 glass of water, a measure of cognac.. in a nice glass. alternate between these vessels...
Ah! great stuff! You won't get drunk, but you will sip in life and smile!!!  :drool:

Impression:
Golden with an effervessent and greenish tinted hue. Wood is the starter here, cask, light leather, unsalted butter and a smoothe mellow apricot flavour. The aftertaste is a warmer and still warmer mix of wood and apricot that mellows out to a sort of oak taste.
My opinion: Dilute it with ca 2-3% water per volume.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2009, 11:39 pm by Imperial »

navi

« Reply #89 on: 10 Mar 2009, 07:30 am »
I Just had the The yamazaki 12yr old single malt by Suntory- It is bloody good!!! $86AUD it's better than a lot of 12 yr old single malt Scottish whiskies..... sweet and smooth with a beautiful after taste....

Who else likes it?

DeanSheen

« Reply #90 on: 10 Mar 2009, 01:16 pm »
Arghh!  This was recently on sale in CAN @ the LCBO for $40 USD and I missed it.

I Just had the The yamazaki 12yr old single malt by Suntory- It is bloody good!!! $86AUD it's better than a lot of 12 yr old single malt Scottish whiskies..... sweet and smooth with a beautiful after taste....

Who else likes it?

navi

« Reply #91 on: 15 Mar 2009, 03:51 am »
I recommend it!!!! it's worth it!!! even if you pay full price

I also just had the Lark Distillery Single Malt http://www.larkdistillery.com.au/our_products/overview.php

It's not bad (smooth) ...Bloody expensive ($120 AUD) But I still prefer the Yamazaki.

ctviggen

« Reply #92 on: 15 Mar 2009, 01:44 pm »
This is a rye whisky, but I have to say it's outstanding (I'd rate in the low to mid 90s out of 100) and only about $60 ("only" means that many scotches in this range would cost much, much more):

http://www.internetwines.com/rws23903.html

Sazerac Rye  Whisky, 18 year old. 

navi

« Reply #93 on: 16 Mar 2009, 12:27 am »
This is a rye whisky, but I have to say it's outstanding (I'd rate in the low to mid 90s out of 100) and only about $60 ("only" means that many scotches in this range would cost much, much more):

http://www.internetwines.com/rws23903.html

Sazerac Rye  Whisky, 18 year old. 

Sounds good!! I don't think I will be able to get it in australia .... would love to try it.

I haven't had any American whiskies as of yet -apart from some bad experiences with Jack Daniels and Jim Beam when I was younger

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 16 Mar 2009, 07:39 pm »
My personal favorites have been Wild Turkey Rare Breed (the first bottle I had, not the second, even though they were both from the same batch) and the old bottling of Bakers.  Though not Bourbon, Wild Turkey Rye belongs in my list of faves. 

The second tier of things I've tried includes things I find interesting, but not all around wonderful: Evan Williams Single Barrel (1997), W.L. Weller Antique, Eagle Rare 10 (I haven't had the old 101 proof, just the newer 90), Wild Turkey 101 and Old Forester Signature (100 proof, not to be confused with the commonly available 80).

My third tier includes things I find good, but not that interesting: Buffalo Trace, Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark and George Dickel (not a Bourbon, I know, but a better Tennessee Whisky than JD).

And strangely, Blanton's was my most disappointing purchase.  Single Barrel bourbons vary greatly (I got a great Evan Williams SB, for example), and this one was just pretty sorry.  Too bad it is also the most expensive I've every bought.

I think it is unusual that I don't like Buffalo Trace products as much as most people.  You'll notice several in my second tier.  They are by far the biggest maker, they have a huge variety of products and folks seem to love them.  Most days, though, I'd take a Beam product (especially Knob Creek, Bookers or Bakers) or any Wild Turkey whiskey (well, not the 80 proof) over most any BT offering.  Weird, huh?

pj

Ericus Rex

« Reply #95 on: 28 May 2009, 12:11 pm »
I've introduced a number of friends to Noah's Mill and everyone is totally blown away by it.  I have only found it in Georgia.  Since moving to Boston I've been SOL.  If you find it, buy it.  I like it better then Pappy Van Winkle.  BTW, the 107 proof Rip Van Winkle is very excellent too!

keenween

« Reply #96 on: 29 Jul 2009, 02:50 am »
I moved to a new house and so I decided to throw down for a properly stocked liquor cabinet. I have a few scotches but I've been starting mostly on bourbon's. I usually just add a splash or two of distilled water, but I'm still experimenting. Here are some thoughts.

I haven't opened this bottle yet, and I think its going out of production. I always found it a really great bottle for the price, but its been to long to give any real notes of its flavor.

Bakers 7
This just smacks me with fruit...and sometimes fig, almost tastes like punch sometimes upfront. It rounds out with a nice oaky finish.

Basil Hayden
This is my favorite so far. I gave it to my friend who is not so much into bourbon and he really liked it as well...its a bit more scotch-like. Its got honey and vanilla along with orange and oak, all very seamless and what tastes just right. I may change my notes after a few more tastings, I'm trying to spread my enjoyment of this bottle out over time.

Bookers
This will put hair on your chest. I agree with Tyson's notes on this one. Thick, intense and really really long layers of oak just wavering in the finish. I have to add a bit more water on this one. Not much to fault here.

Jim Beam White Label
I haven't had this much since college, but I drank plenty then. Probably won't pick any up...but this is where my whiskey journey began. I always enjoyed the woody profile, and drank if in quantity, would fire me up something special.

Makers Mark
I haven't had this for a while, I always really enjoyed its intensely sweet caramel and balanced vanilla profile.

Old Granddad (101 or 120 proof?...don't remember)
This is strong stuff best for maybe drinking in quantity or using as a mixer. It is really sharp with a lot of orange flavor in its profile.

Old Rip Van Winkle 15
I'm not sure what to think of this one yet. Its got kick, its got complexity, but I'm not sure I like it. I'm still working on what I really think is going on in its complexity, but I get a highly maple syrup taste going on at times which somewhat turns me off. Need some more time with this one.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #97 on: 29 Jul 2009, 11:49 am »
Please note that Jack Daniels is a whiskey, not a bourbon. Go to the Jack D web site, or better yet take the distillery tour, to get more related information. As an aside, when I was on the tour, it was interesting to hear how Mr. Daniels temper and a safe worked to end his life.

JD can't call it bourbon b/c it's distilled in Tennessee.  Kentucky has all legal rights to the classification "bourbon".  JD's recipe, though, would qualify it as bourbon if it were distilled in Ky.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #98 on: 18 Mar 2010, 05:39 pm »
It's Fightin' Cock if you tailgate at Williams Brice.

ctviggen

« Reply #99 on: 18 Mar 2010, 05:45 pm »
You should also consider Ryes.  A $60 bottle of Rye blows away most scotches or bourbons.  The Sazarac Thomas Handy and 18 yo are both outstanding and are some of the best whiskey I've had.  Easily in the top 10 if not the top 5.  The Old Potrero ryes are great too, but hard to find and completely different from the latter ryes.