Bourbon!!!!

G2moscode

Re: Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #60 on: 22 Mar 2007, 10:34 pm »
Re: Bourbon!!!....

Don't get me wrong, I love my single malt scotches, but if I have to drink Bourbon, and there are those occasions,
I highly recommend Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 23 years old.
http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM8C?opendocument

smooooooth.......

G

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #61 on: 27 Apr 2007, 06:22 pm »
I just got a bottle of Bache Gabrielsen FINS BOIS SINGLE ESTATE 1975. That's a 32 year old Cognac.
It's a Bouilleur de cru/Rene Gommet make from the little town Echallat in France.
I have bottle no. 0715 of a total of 1190 bottles.

Ah! No picture exists as of yet, but this is some incredible stuff!
Just sneaked a taste... A mellow fruity flavour, consisting of pruney Peary flavours. Some chanel and nutty flavours to, and a TOTAL absence of edge!!! Smooth like shit!!! Dude! This is some immense stuff!!!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2007, 06:34 pm by Imperial »

bsuhy

« Reply #62 on: 6 May 2007, 03:02 am »
what a great thread.....

i am very new to bourbon, but i have tried wild turkey kentucky bourbon and really liked it. i picked up a bottle of evan williams single barrel 10 year today and am on my second glass of the night. this is one bourbon that i will definitely keep around.

lazydays

« Reply #63 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:40 am »
No Jim Beam Black label fans?

"In a recent independent study, the Beverage Testing Institute rated Jim Beam Black® highest among leading North American whiskeys for its overall nose, depth of flavor and finish. Every barrel is aged 8 years to achieve a full 86 proof and distinctive character that anyone can respect.
Beverage Testing Institute - Professional Tasting - Chicago, Illinois 2003

Wine Enthusiast Magazine rated Jim Beam Black Superb (90-95)/Highly Recommended in the American Whiskey category of the Top 60 Spirits for 2003. "  http://www.jimbeam.com/beam/v5/products/black_label.aspx

I always have at least one bottle of Jim Beam Black on hand. I rate it way better than Jack Daniels. Woodford Reserve is another favorite along with Evan Williams Private Celler (think that's what it called). But when I want to go on a good drunk I drink Grand Dad 101 strait up with some ice cubes to keep it interesting.
    In my old age I've also came to enjoy a good Irish Whiskey (I like Bushmiles), and a couple odd ball single malts. Depends on what mood I'm in.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #64 on: 20 Jul 2007, 06:55 pm »
you know with all this talk about small batch burbons and sour mash whiskeys, I noticed that nobody mentioned Wells 107. Have not had any in eons, but it's pretty good stuff.
gary

jimdgoulding

« Reply #65 on: 29 Dec 2007, 04:47 am »
Had a shoot out recently with a friend.  His pick- Jim Beam.  My pick- Maker's Mark.  His pick won.  Orange rinds were plainly obvious in the Maker's Mark as was a sweetness not present in the Jim Beam.  Made me think of designer liquor.  Jim Beam just tasted honest and mellow.

dullskull

« Reply #66 on: 3 Jan 2008, 07:18 am »
 Allright all you liquor snobs,
 I admit I'm a bottom feeder, and with that said, here's a couple to try that won't break the bank or your palette  for that matter.

Evan Williams 1783 10 year old. about $11.00
 Old Forester Kentucky straight. about $14.00 :drool:

All bourbon is whiskey; but not all whiskey is bourbon!!
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2008, 06:57 pm by dullskull »

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #67 on: 3 Jan 2008, 01:22 pm »
Somehow I missed this thread!

I've had a few sips in my day... :wink:

In no particular order:

Knob Creek small batch
Three Roses
Rebel Yell
Maker's Mark

We go to Louisville on a regular basis to play the ponies. A few weeks ago, we had a very nice dinner and whiskey tasting at the Maker's Mark restaurant on 4th St. Fun time and highly reco'd...

gb

acresm22

« Reply #68 on: 3 Jan 2008, 06:20 pm »
I'll second Tyson's recommendation for the Eagle Rare 10. My bro-in-law and I enjoyed some of that over the holidays...very nice indeed.

loki1957

« Reply #69 on: 3 Jan 2008, 08:21 pm »
Re: Bourbon!!!....

Don't get me wrong, I love my single malt scotches, but if I have to drink Bourbon, and there are those occasions,
I highly recommend Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 23 years old.
http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM8C?opendocument

smooooooth.......

G
I've had 2 shots of this stuff. 25 bucks each and worth every penny. But who can afford a whole bottle? Not only that it's very hard to find. I did drink up a bottle of the 20 year old.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #70 on: 26 Mar 2008, 07:52 pm »
Almost but not quite off topic:

I have recently discovered an amazing beer that would please a bourbon lover.

This beer - Innis & Gunn - is aged in oak bourbon barrels and is truly delicious. It is really a sipping drink.

Check it out - apparently it's available all over New York and New jersey, but not yet in Norway (sorry, Imperial!)

http://www.innisandgunn.com/index.htm

Imperial

« Reply #71 on: 26 Mar 2008, 07:59 pm »
Oh dang!!! :)

Me is in tears!!!  :cry:

:drool:

I's a good thing my brother is in NY (sun valley these days.) His baggage just increased in weight.. :thumb:

Imperial

jimdgoulding

« Reply #72 on: 6 Jun 2008, 04:07 am »
Damn.  I'm tuning in here 3 years after Tyson's monumental study of bourbons but I guess I'm thankful I did.  My wife's Christmas office party is at our house this year and I pride myself on making the best egg nog in these parts.  I'll be on the look out for some George T. Stagg, you betcha.  Don't stone me for mixing it with egg nog.  It won't all be goin there.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #73 on: 6 Jun 2008, 12:37 pm »
My all time favorite bourbon is Noah's Mill.  I don't know if it's still distilled.  I could find it when I lived in GA but since moving up here to the Boston area it is nowhere to be found.  The guys at the liquor shops can't seem to find it for me either.  If any of you guys see this one in your store get it, it's definitely worth experiencing.  Very thick, like Pappy Van Winkle (but half the price), kinda like sucking on the barrel oak itself.

As for the question about Rye whiskey, I don't know what is meant by PURE rye whiskey but there are several brands of rye out there.  Old Overholt is a rye that's quite good and CHEAP.  Jim Beam makes a rye too.  It used to have a banana yellow label but they've recently changed it to parchment colored.  I've had a few others but I forget who distilled them...sorry.

15 year/107 proof Rip van Winkle is another all-time favorite.

Happy drinking!

loki1957

« Reply #74 on: 6 Jun 2008, 12:41 pm »
Sazerak and Van Winkle have some very good Rye whiskeys as well. They can be hard to find at times especially the Van winkle.

Imperial

« Reply #75 on: 8 Jun 2008, 08:57 pm »
Almost but not quite off topic:

I have recently discovered an amazing beer that would please a bourbon lover.

This beer - Innis & Gunn - is aged in oak bourbon barrels and is truly delicious. It is really a sipping drink.

Check it out - apparently it's available all over New York and New jersey, but not yet in Norway (sorry, Imperial!)

http://www.innisandgunn.com/index.htm

Now we have Innis & Gunn here in Norway!
One has to order it online and get it at the outlet later on but still!
Now I'm gonna order some "barrels"  :thumb:
I'll get them in about two weeks I guess!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2008, 11:36 pm by Imperial »

Photon46

« Reply #76 on: 8 Jun 2008, 10:23 pm »
The best low cost Bourbon I've found (to my tastes) is the seven year old J.L. Weller, pretty remarkable for the modest price IMO. Their twelve year old is smoother and more complex of course, and that's not too expensive either.

TRM

« Reply #77 on: 8 Jul 2008, 02:54 am »
this is what I've been drinking lately, http://www.stranahans.com/index.php?q=home

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #78 on: 8 Jul 2008, 02:59 am »
Speaking of Bourbon.... I had almost forgot to post this...... :thumb:

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #79 on: 5 Nov 2008, 11:16 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 04:37 pm by EARGASM »