SWL 9.0SE , Denon 3910 and Modwright service, experiences

skippy

This turned out long (and its way late, sorry Dan I meant to do this ages ago), but it might be helpful to a lurking buyer I hope. My whole extended buying process is in here, so if you want the opinion on the preamp/source, jump to the end (hint: they are wonderful).

I bought one the 9.0SE last October, together with a modified Denon 3910. Originally I wanted just to upgrade my source, so I sent off a 3910 to Dan to be the prototype for the very first tube modded unit.  During the process of the tube mod creation my old preamp (an Audio Experience Symphonies) started blowing tubes and I didn't want to trust it with my new baby, so I asked Dan about the linestage, wondering if I should go with a new preamp instead of new source (a stock Denon 2900 was my source at that time).

At this point I was in the middle of a "second generation" upgrade. My first foray into audio was the HT receiver/sub/speakers route, which turned into 2CH appreciation, followed by separates, better speakers, etc (the typical first upgrade cycle). I was now in the middle of the next cycle: speakers went from Paradigm Studios to Dynaudio Contours, and (potentially) everything else was up for grabs.

So I wanted to go far enough that I would be happy and not looking to upgrade in year (yeah yeah I know, naive, but what do you know, it worked). I knew from my limited experience and lots of showroom visits that a) expensive gear doesnt always sound good /taste is subjective and b) I didnt have to spend the price of a new car to get good sound if I chose wisely. What I wanted was to get (hopefully well) past the point of diminishing returns at reasonable cost.  At that point I was a firm believer in used gear, so I wasnt sure of the value proposition on buying new. I figured Dan could give me the best of both worlds: sound equal to more expensive gear that I could buy new instead of used, and receive the service and security that comes with it. And the fact that I was getting a discount for providing the demo unit didn't hurt, I figured if I didnt like it I could sell it. Call me interested and hopeful at that point, but still skeptical.

I have to rave about Dan's customer service at this point.  He emailed me and spoke to me on the phone any number of times, keeping me first informed on the tube mods as they were developed, and then helping me work through the "what should I buy now" process. He always replied promptly, and even wanted to check with me on the phone to make sure I was me (women in audio are rare apparently, and the only other woman who had ever bought from him had had her credit card misappropriated). Yes, it made sense for him to do that as a businessman, but that wasnt why he did it (or not the only reason anyway, he was looking out for me too). We had a nice chat about the differences between men and women in how they listen, and he legitimately wanted to get to know his customer. At that point I felt confident that Dan really knew what he was doing, that he wasnt a guy with a soldering iron who was blundering through the audio world, and that Modwright was an upstanding company that I'd be happy to deal with. As a professional I believe in experts, but I am not quick to grant trust in someone else's judgement over my own. In this case I decided to trust Dan and follow his recommendation. Not that I disagreed at all with his suggestions.

I decided to go with the solid state mod to the Denon instead of the tube mod on Dan's recommendation (despite the fact the tube mod was essentially complete, and is more expensive, Dan swapped it out), and couple it with the 9.0SE. I knew I wanted a tube sound, and had been hesitant about a SS machine being a little harsh for me. With the tube preamp though, I get the best of both worlds. Turns out the Denon is not even slightly harsh. Neutral, yes, and not tube like obviously, but very very nice.

But on to the linestage. Its amazing. As a lark I tried it with a cheapo DVD player (old panasonic). The sound? Not what I would choose to listen to longterm, but better than expected. A litte dull, and compressed, no bass to speak of etc, but it was still music. I had a stock Denon 2900 before the 3910, and it obviously sounded much better than the panasonic: much more detail, good bass and highs, and liveliness (I found my toe tapping, and thats what I want from music - a visceral reaction). I could have lived with that combo for some time (or if I had never heard the modded 3910, maybe indefinitely). Even the comcast receiver box sounds pretty good piped through it for watching TV. Bottom line: it makes crappy sources bearable, and good ones shine. I feel like it hasn't hit its ceiling yet, even with the modded Denon. I did change the stock jan phillips tube for a cryo'ed tungsol, that gave me some extra warmth which I wanted.

Add the modded 3910 and I am really, truly satisfied. The player is long on detail, very clean neutral sound. The highs and lows are better than I've ever heard. I am not much on audiobabble jargon, since I listen more holistically and I am not that practiced with them yet in any case, but the noise floor dropped away, and the music is just clear. If I did not have the SWL I think I would want the tube modded 3910, since I do like the tube sound, but in combination I think the SS mod with the tube linestage sounds just right.

I guess the biggest compliment I can give is that I have no urge to change either the source or the preamp. The amp, on the other hand... (tube monos were a mistake, back to SS I think).

Anyway, if you are considering the 9.0SE and are in a position similar to mine (wanting that next big step up but hesitant about all the choices and concerned abut value) I definitely recommend pulling the trigger. And ask Dan first about your situation, he'll give you a straight answer.

Anyone in Maryland who wants to come listen to the units, btw, is welcome to. The gear speaks for itself better than I can. Just drop me a note.

modwright

Thank You.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2005, 03:45 am »
Thanks for sharing your impressions.  I am glad that you are enjoying both pieces.  If you are looking for new amps, I would highly recommend giving Dusty Vawter (Channel Islands Audio - www.ciaudio.com) a call and checking into his D-200 Class D monoblocks.  They are 200W/CH, $2300/pr. and are my Reference amplifiers.

The play EXCEPTIONALLY well with our preamp and the combination is truly magic in my opinion.

Let Dusty know that I referred you and ask about their synergy with the ModWright SWL 9.0SE.

We showed with Channel Islands at RMAF 2005 and will be showing with them at CES 2006.  We will be pairing our preamp with their D-200's of course.

Take care and enjoy the music,

Dan W.

mca

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2005, 05:58 am »
Anyway, if you are considering the 9.0SE and are in a position similar to mine (wanting that next big step up but hesitant about all the choices and concerned abut value) I definitely recommend pulling the trigger. And ask Dan first about your situation, he'll give you a straight answer.

This is good to hear, Skippy. I just took the plunge and ordered a 9.0SE. It will be my first "real" preamp, as I have always used my pre/pro for both movies and music. I am looking forward to getting it!

skippy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2005, 06:43 am »
Quote from: mca
This is good to hear, Skippy. I just took the plunge and ordered a 9.0SE. It will be my first "real" preamp, as I have always used my pre/pro for both movies and music. I am looking forward to getting it!

You are in for a treat. I had no idea how good music could sound at home until I moved away from a receiver (mid-range Harman Kardon). Just a modest tube preamp with a HT amp was a big step up, and the SWL is another leap altogether. I find myself listening to music now much more than I ever used to. Funnily enough, it was buying an HDTV that turned me into an audiophile.

Chris_B

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2005, 12:35 pm »
Skippy,

I had a very similar experience as you.  Adding the 9.0SE made a huge improvement in my system. Shortly after, I added a Modwright 999ES and I now feel very little need to upgrade (for now  :lol: ).  

I also tried a tube amp a while back but dynamics suffered too much.  This taught me how important the amp/speaker synergy thing really is.

skippy

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2005, 07:15 pm »
Chris_B

It sounds like we are on the same path :lol: . What amp did you go with in the end? Dan has recommended the CI D200s, I think they will be my next stop, but I'm curious to know what you ended up with.

Doug_B

Re: SWL 9.0SE , Denon 3910 and Modwright service, experience
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2005, 10:04 pm »
Interesting story Skippy. I have wondered whether it was "overkill" to have a tube-output source as well as a tubed preamp. I still own a Wright-modded Pioneer universal player (tube-modded) after 2 years and still love it. Within a few months after it was modded, I purchased an Odyssey Tempest pre, which is SS but has the reputation of providing warmth and an organic sound similar to a tube unit and without detriment to clarity (give me some slack here, Dan, as this was before the Linestage was available  :wink: ).

In short, I didn't notice much of a change with the output of the tube-modded Pioneer unit with the Tempest in the path (versus my HT preamp in bypass mode prior), but my stock Sony CD/SACD player (555ES)benefitted greatly from the Tempest, producing a sound that had many similarities to the Pioneer unit.

Thus, I can buy in to the possibility that the Linestage (which must sound awesome; love to hear it sometime) can be mated successfully with a SS source, and it's probably advantageous to go with a tubed pre vs a tubed source due to the obvious added flexibility in it supporting multiple sources (all other things being equal - which is never truly the case, though  :roll: ).

Doug

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2005, 10:42 pm »
skippy:
   I took Dan Wright's advice and bought the D-200 amps. Great amp. You can't go wrong buying them.

Cheers
                          Charlie