looking to upgrade speakers

sophie999

looking to upgrade speakers
« on: 7 Jan 2019, 03:22 am »
Greetings,

I know this is a difficult question to answer, but any opinions are welcome.

Here is my situation. I listen mostly to pop and classical, including many symphonies, low-to-moderate volumes. About 15x25 feet (5x8m) untreated room. 20wpc Decware amp currently driving 15 y/o LSI 15 polks. Polks are doing fine, nothing wrong with them. I am the 2nd owner.

I am considering an upgrade to my speakers. Would like to have full (or near full) range speakers, no sub, strongly prefer something made (assembled, not just designed) in the US, with 2-3k budget.

One option is to refurb/upgrade the Polks. About 1k gets me new premium crossover, new damping material, full inspection, and cleaning with some cosmetic finish work at a local well regarded audio shop.

The other option is buying something new. I plan to keep the system for at least 15-20 years, so need something well built, with solid fit/finish, and good internal electronics so I do not need to recap for at least 15 years.

Prefer new but will consider lightly used option if find something specific I like.

Have been looking lately at Tecton DI and Impact towers. Some posts mentioned that they do not measure very well, but I did not see any charts on the forums or on their site. Mostly great user reviews,
Other options are Ascend Acoustics Sierra towers, Klipsch Reference, SVS ultra towers. I think those are all US made. Spatial audio has great reviews, but not sure how well they handle complex classical music.

Can you please provide comments/suggestions? Any other options worth considering. I am not much of DIY person.

Thanks much.

walkern

Re: looking to upgrade speakers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2019, 03:53 pm »
I'm pretty sure Klipsch Reference speakers are made in China.  If I'm not mistaken only their Heritage speakers are still made here. Not 100% positive, but pretty sure so please check before you buy if "made in the U.S.A." is an important consideration.

Delta77

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2019, 05:36 pm »
"Have been looking lately at Tecton DI and Impact towers. Some posts mentioned that they do not measure very well, but I did not see any charts on the forums or on their site. Mostly great user reviews"

I use Tekton (seas Pendragon's) with my Decware Equipment , and can reply that they work well together..
I just ordered the D.I.'s for myself 2 days ago, to pair with my ZMA.. So if your anywhere near me ( central Cal.) I would be happy to demo for you..
Not to mention My Seas Pendragon's are going in the closet, or to a good home.. I will not sell to someone whom has no idea what there getting..

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2019, 06:46 pm »
  Omega, Rethm and JBL as well.

charles

sophie999

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2019, 08:36 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2019, 11:05 pm »

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2019, 11:58 pm »
There are several well regarded internet direct companies that may meet your requirements:  Tyler Acoustics, Selah, RBH, Salk.

Here's a somewhat out of date listing of some: https://www.audioholics.com/how-to-shop/internet-direct-comparison

jaylevine

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2019, 07:08 am »
I'm pretty sure Klipsch Reference speakers are made in China.  If I'm not mistaken only their Heritage speakers are still made here. Not 100% positive, but pretty sure so please check before you buy if "made in the U.S.A." is an important consideration.

You are correct re: Klipsch. They are assembled in China but designed in U.S. (according to the box).

I just purchased a pair of RP 160M to compliment my VTA 120 Tube amp. Still a little rough around the treble edges, but I've only got like 5 hours on them and I expect they will smooth out as they wear in (or my ears adjust).

That said, they are only $400 new in box from Crutchfield with a full 30 day return if not happy (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP160ME/Klipsch-Reference-Premiere-RP-160M-Ebony.html).   

The Klipschs replaced a pair of Legacy Studio HD monitors, which are a very nice monitor indeed but 4 times the cost new (still wish I hadn't sold them on impulse). Regardless, IMHO for the money the Klipsch are a solid low-cost alternative speaker for near-field listening when coupled with a lower power tube amp.

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2019, 02:19 pm »
Decware DNA Horns and Omega.