What to cover sound absorption material with?

Hirst

What to cover sound absorption material with?
« on: 21 Nov 2018, 12:11 am »
I sit about 24" from my back wall.  The wall consists of drywall over 1" hard foam over brick.  I have used Rockwool Safe n Sound with my bass traps and absorption panels and I am quite pleased with the results.  I plan on putting two layers of 3" rockwool below and above the rad, with one layer over the rad.  This will allow me to have a straight wall as the rad sticks out 3".  I intend on doing the entire wall to make it look more symmetrical but just 3" from the ceiling to allow air flow out of the rad if it is in use.   I will build a slot under the rad so cold air can be drawn up, heated, then exit through a slot in the top.  The slot on the right hand side trap is to have access to the radiator valve.  At its hottest the rad gets to about 90F.

My question is this, what material should I cover this with?  Should I use drywall, plywood, fabric (as with the traps)? 

Paul

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: What to cover sound absorption material with?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2018, 12:00 pm »
Someone has taken Einstein’s oft-misquoted remark, “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk?” to heart.

Drywall and plywood will eliminate the benefit of the rock wool for sound absorption.   But I wouldn't just slap rock wool on everything anyway, you may end up with a too dead room.   It's possible diffusion might better, I'd consult a professional to find out what would work best.  Finally, radiators need space around them to work properly,  they "radiate" the heat,  it's not like a forced air system.   I wouldn't enclose it in anything.

Hirst

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2018, 01:51 pm »
Yes, the desk need some "attention" to reach a balance between messy and productive.

Thank you for your suggestions.  I am not concerned with the rad as it has been turned off for years.  It is literally 10Xs too big for the room.  In 30 years I have cracked it open a tiny amount just twice.

My room is small with a low ceiling and is a bit of a bear to tame.  I have two 50" bass traps in the opposite corners behind the speakers (GR -Research wedgies with dual sevo subs) , first and second reflection absorption panels as well as a carpet covering 90% of the floor and the room is just starting to settle down.   Difussers will arrive in a week or two and Greg from PI Audio suggested they go in front of the bass traps behind the speakers as well as stacked vertically between the speakers.   My concern with difussion on the wall behind me is the lack of clearance between my sitting position and the wall.  I planned on making a nice DIY wooden difusser but there just is not enough room.

Paul

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2018, 02:57 pm »
I covered my DIY bass traps and absorption panels with speaker grill cloth that was close to my wall color of choice.

Blends OK.  Works perfectly.  Cheap at the local fabric place once I was able to explain what I wanted.

Then my kids picked a zany leopard print for the "back" and several of the pieces ended up with that fabric out!  So slightly less effective at the highest treble frequencies, but more fun for visuals!

I'd say use what suits your eye - in the end most of the audible frequencies will pass assuming you're not using hard surfaces on your traps.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2018, 03:25 pm »
I suggest you try acoustic wallpaper available at any premium paint wallpaper store.  It is abut 1/8 inch thick and comes in a variety of colors and patterns.

I have the walls of my sound room covered with this material and it is outstanding for killing high frequency and midrange reflections.

I can demo its effectiveness over the phone (really) if you call me at 651-330-9871.

Frank Van Alstine

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2018, 03:58 pm »
Been on here for years and never heard of that!!! Excellent!!! Sounds like the WAF would be far better than some of the 'audiophile' solutions I've seen too.

Hirst

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2018, 08:33 pm »
Thank you for that suggestion Frank, is this the product you are referring to?

https://www.crownwallpaper.com/product.html?2ATR-05

I going to put my head down and see what I can come up with for the radiator.  I cringe every time I see it in the picture. 

Paul

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2018, 09:16 pm »
Yes, that is the stuff my walls are covered with.  The ceiling with thin Sonex foam sheets

My over the telephone sound test is really simple.  I have one covered wall that turns a corner into a non treated wall.

Rap on the untreated wall, loud and hard sounding klunk, klunk, klunk.  Rap on treated wall,  dull thud thud thud.  Big difference and the overall sound room improvements are more that you can achieve in an untreated room with better cables, electronics, and probably speakers too.

Call me at 651-330-9871 for the "thump test".  Easy to hear over the phone.

Frank

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2018, 12:52 am »
That's more attractive than the burlap I usually use! :oops: :thumb:

Wig

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2018, 04:13 am »
Would the Crown wallpaper work on the ceiling nearing my listening position? I know the Sonex would be more efficient but would be noticed too easily by the wife and the Crown is very thin and maybe unnoticeable.

Thanks,
Wig