BDP-1 REVIEWS

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
Re: BDP-1 REVIEWS
« Reply #80 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:23 pm »
My own 2 cents, I thought it was a good review.  I did not get that there was trouble loading files, although he did go into details, but did say it was simple, twice.

I think a very good review would have been a much better review if he would have talked a little bit more about other software interfaces available for running the BDP-1.  James did an excellent post listing them.  It is my opinion that people will run into the brick wall of acceptence if they don't know what software options are available to them to run the device with.

One think I loved about the touch was that it had an interface built in to the device which made it incredibly easy to work it.  However, the audio was no where near the BDP-1 and in the end my choice was for better audio and was willing to struggle through finding software that worked.

But like anything else, it's a work in progress and so far for me the BDP-1 has been what I needed to take my rig to the next level.

mr_bill

« Reply #81 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:24 pm »
This is what I was referring to (the bold below):  Maybe I am reading too much into it.  I just thought you copy files over to the thumb drive.

It is true that you have to organize your music files in a certain way on a FAT32 or NTFS-formatted volume (i.e., a thumb/flash drive, a magnetic hard drive, a solid state drive, anything that uses a USB connection); but that's all right, because it's really easy to do. It goes something like this:

1. Drive

2. Main Music Directory/Folder

a. Artist

b. Album

c. Song (s)

d. Cover Art

…and repeat until you've added as many artists, albums, and songs as you like.

terrycym

« Reply #82 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:28 pm »
Hi-Fi Critic review
It seems the reviewer who gave such a bad write-up for the BDP-1 designs CD players for Naim Audio.
He didn't mention this conflict of interests in his review!

You may be interested in this thread, especially post 87:
www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54140&page=6

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:35 pm »
This is what I was referring to (the bold below):  Maybe I am reading too much into it.  I just thought you copy files over to the thumb drive.

It is true that you have to organize your music files in a certain way on a FAT32 or NTFS-formatted volume (i.e., a thumb/flash drive, a magnetic hard drive, a solid state drive, anything that uses a USB connection); but that's all right, because it's really easy to do. It goes something like this:

1. Drive

a. Artist

b. Album

c. Song (s)

d. Cover Art

Yes seems a little excessive - I just copy the files from whatever program on to the thumbdrive or harddrive and all is fine including CD rips.

I think maybe because he was using iTunes as his reference things where different than he expected???

james

mr_bill

« Reply #84 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:52 pm »
Thanks James,
Doesn't douse my desire to have a BDP-1 and this is a a very glowing review!
Bill

BrysTony

« Reply #85 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:59 pm »

1. Drive

a. Artist

b. Album

c. Song (s)

d. Cover Art

This appears to be complicated but in practice it just happens.  If you use a CD ripper such as dbPoweramp or download from HDTracks, Linn, etc. the 2a thru 2d structure is created automatically.  It really is simple and nothing to be concerned about.  The BDP-1 is great in that you then have instant access to your music collection.   :thumb:

Tony

Alpha10

« Reply #86 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:22 pm »

I just thought you copy files over to the thumb drive.

You can and just play them, any other structure is up to you and how you want your music organised. On my main drives it is just ordered as it comes out of dbpoweramp and I am happy with that.

I also have a drive with some favourites on it which is just a bunch of tracks, no structure at all...

It is your choice, not mandatory.

Cheers

mikemalter

« Reply #87 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:28 pm »
Are you guys ripping as FLAC or WAV?

Thanks.

Alpha10

« Reply #88 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:33 pm »
Are you guys ripping as FLAC or WAV?

Thanks.

FLAC for me

terrycym

« Reply #89 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:35 pm »

saveloy

« Reply #90 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:15 pm »
Flac for me, too. With no issues.

A guy from the hi-fi shop compared Flac versus WAV on a CYRUS streamer.
He said the WAV files were definitely better, sonically.  I know it has been written here that both are comparable on the BDP-1.
So perhaps it is a computing power issue with the CYRUS.

Kyri

mikemalter

« Reply #91 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:26 pm »
I'm asking, not because I am concerned with audio quality as I am convinced that WAV and FLAC are sonically the same on the BDP-1, but because FLAC is supposed to have better support for tagging.

Is anyone making use of advanced tagging that is available to FLAC?

Thanks.

terrycym

« Reply #92 on: 14 Jul 2011, 08:54 pm »
I'm asking, not because I am concerned with audio quality as I am convinced that WAV and FLAC are sonically the same on the BDP-1, but because FLAC is supposed to have better support for tagging.

Thanks.
I use mp3tag and I tend to use all the available tags plus embedded album art.
Dead easy to use and works just great. Just right click on the containing folder and it appears in the context sensitive menu

Alpha10

« Reply #93 on: 15 Jul 2011, 06:35 am »

Same as Terry for me, using dbpoweramp it does most of the hard work populating the Tagging data, but anything you want to add is a simple right click away. It is a massive plus for me over WAV.

Cheers

mikemalter

« Reply #94 on: 15 Jul 2011, 08:34 am »
Same as Terry for me, using dbpoweramp it does most of the hard work populating the Tagging data, but anything you want to add is a simple right click away. It is a massive plus for me over WAV.

Cheers

Can you elaborate a bit.  I am using dBPoweramp, and in the Meta section, I can add tags for WAV.  There does not seem to be a difference.  Can you point out what tagging you can do in FLAC that cannot be done in WAV?

Thanks.

brucek

« Reply #95 on: 17 Jul 2011, 01:58 pm »
Can you point out what tagging you can do in FLAC that cannot be done in WAV?

Tagging an uncompressed WAV file is accomplished in a separate file, while in FLAC the metadata tag is embedded. If you took the FLAC file and placed in on a CD and played it in your car, the data is available since it's embedded in the file. Not so with the WAV file - there would be no tag data.

mikemalter

« Reply #96 on: 17 Jul 2011, 02:35 pm »
Tagging an uncompressed WAV file is accomplished in a separate file, while in FLAC the metadata tag is embedded. If you took the FLAC file and placed in on a CD and played it in your car, the data is available since it's embedded in the file. Not so with the WAV file - there would be no tag data.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and in helping me understand the differences in output formats.

I looked at the fileset created by dBpoweramp and there is not a separate file with tagging information, but my tags are actually embedded in the wav file.  I know this because I have inspected the output folder.  In addition, when inspecting any wav file created with dBpoweramp, I can see that album art has been imbedded along with other tags directly into the file.

Am I missing someting?

brucek

« Reply #97 on: 17 Jul 2011, 03:11 pm »
WAV doesn't natively support tags but I believe some programs (dBpoweramp) support the WAV ID3v2 metadata container that write a limited set of fields in a block at the end of the WAV file. I don't know how many players support this protocol though.

mikemalter

« Reply #98 on: 17 Jul 2011, 03:36 pm »
WAV doesn't natively support tags but I believe some programs (dBpoweramp) support the WAV ID3v2 metadata container that write a limited set of fields in a block at the end of the WAV file. I don't know how many players support this protocol though.

Ok, now I know what is going on.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Everyone kept telling me that FLAC was superior to WAV because of WAV's lack of tagging support.  However on my end, all of my tags were there, and I did not realize that dBpoweramp's support for WAV tagging was more than normal.

I also get that even though dBpoweramp writes the tag, not all media players can see the tag, which could complicate issues down the road.

Right now I'm using the BDP-1 as my player with the Gnome player as my interface.  I'm basically a play it on random guy so WAV without tagging works for me.

At any rate, thank you for clearing this up for me.  I understand better what is going on now at least.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #99 on: 27 Jul 2011, 10:40 am »
-----Original Message-----
Sent: July-27-11 4:04 AM
To: Bryston
Subject: Media coverage - Bryston reviews

James

Included with this month's What Hi-Fi? magazine is a supplement, The Ultimate Guide to High End, in which the BDP-1 and BDA-1 are featured. Please find enclosed scans of these two reviews. Very few products are selected to feature in this publication, so to get two reviews published in one issue is a real result.

kind regards
Phil