Re: Just saying hi => Omega questions => Super 7 XRS on the way! => Now Here!!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Just saying hi . . . now Omega questions!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2014, 10:41 pm »
Having obtained two sets of speakers from Louis, my opinion is that he is in the best position to help with a decision like this. Give Louis your priorities and other considerations, then ask him which is best for you based on your criteria. You're not asking him which is a better way to go in generic terms, but rather what would he do if he was in your shoes with your priorities / preferences. Just my 2 cents.

My current speakers are Super 6 Alnico Monitors with Deep Hemp sub. They are a few years old now, and Louis may have some new and improved solution now, but at the time they were the speaker that Louis felt best met my needs. They sound fantastic, so I've never looked back.

K

You don't want more?  You always do!   :wink:

Seriously, thanks for the vote of confidence.  Consulting with Louis is what got me to my choice so far.  Just doing a last, "Am I overlooking something?". 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2014, 10:47 pm »
You don't want more?  You always do!   :wink:

Seriously, thanks for the vote of confidence.  Consulting with Louis is what got me to my choice so far.  Just doing a last, "Am I overlooking something?".
Hey pstrisik. I have complete faith in Louis, and no one knows Omega speakers like he does. Maybe a I need to change my screen name now that I'm getting older... I'm actually learning to enjoy and be thankful for what I have.  8)

pstrisik

« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2014, 11:07 pm »
......Maybe a I need to change my screen name now that I'm getting older... I'm actually learning to enjoy and be thankful for what I have.  8)

I hope I'm getting there.  :shake:  We'll see with these speakers.  I'm set with DAC, Pre, Amp.  Source is in flux as are speakers.  I have two preamps and two amps.  I will have two sets of speakers.  So I can do switching around or set up a second system. 

The ones that go together are:
1) Cary SLP05 => CJ Pr11A => AR2ax
2) Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 (ordered) => Dennis Had Inspire KT150 => Omegas.

Can mix 'n match, but those combinations make the most sense.  Doesn't look like it, but I feel like I'm circling in to stability!  Of course, there are still more tubes to try!   :bomb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2014, 11:24 pm »
By definition to be a true audiophile you almost have to "alwayswantmore."

pstrisik

« Reply #24 on: 24 Feb 2014, 09:03 pm »
Order is in!

Super 7 XRS in bubinga with both drivers, ie, second set for driver rolling!  8)  Ferrite with whizzer and alnico without.

Very excited!

seikosha

« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2014, 09:15 pm »
Congrats pstrisik,

I and I'm sure many others here will be very interested to hear about the speaker rolling once you've got both sets broken in.  That's going to be a lot of fun.

pstrisik

« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2014, 06:21 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Louis is kind enough to make the grill whatever size I prefer.  I did some mock ups and wonder what others think about these options:

.       .       .         .     

Edit:  Fifth option is ~8.5" x 13.75" grill.  Size calculated with golden ratio.

.........Peter

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2014, 10:00 pm by pstrisik »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2014, 06:54 pm »
I'd prefer either of the taller/narrower ones.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 25 Feb 2014, 07:39 pm »
Something like #3... did you try the golden mean proportions for the grill?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

pstrisik

« Reply #29 on: 25 Feb 2014, 09:22 pm »
Something like #3... did you try the golden mean proportions for the grill?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Interesting!  I used to be a math wiz, but I just get dizzy looking at those formulas now! 

I wonder if using a preferred ratio like that would still be appropriate if the speaker face itself doesn't adhere to the same ratio.  Another way to say it:  Should the proportions of the grill match those of the cabinet?

If it did, the grill would be ~8.5 x 19.5" (cabinet is 14 x 32).  Louis' standard for this cabinet is 8.5 x 20, so he was sticking close to proportionate.  I don't think I would like the grill covering more than half of the face though.  Particularly with such pretty finish (Bubinga... the mock up isn't bubinga, btw.  Ebony I think). 

Anyone good enough with math to calculate what length grill would result if the width was 8.5" under the golden ratio?  I'll google and see if there's a calculator available.

Edit:  Ok, found a calculator.  If I use 8.5" width, I get 8.5" x 13.753".  Now I'll see if I can create a mock up with that size grill.  (Fun project!)

Edit:  Added fifth option above with golden ratio based grill size.

pstrisik

« Reply #30 on: 25 Feb 2014, 10:05 pm »
That golden ratio option doesn't do it for me for some reason.  I'm leaning towards either #2 or #4.  Both of those are wider than the 8.5".  Probably about 9.5.  If I calculated golden ration based on 9.5, it would extend past the vertical midpoint, which I don't prefer.

gab

« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2014, 10:11 pm »
#4 for me as well

beowulf

« Reply #32 on: 25 Feb 2014, 10:14 pm »
I would prefer something wider and even longer than #4.

pstrisik

« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2014, 10:27 pm »
I appreciate the opinions.  I started preferring #1.  Bouncing this around helps a lot.

Here's one that is half way between #2 & #4 in length.  Actual grill size would be 9.5" x 11".

And here's one for you Beowulf!  10.9" x 15"  - I actually like this one, too.  Thanks!

beowulf

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2014, 08:26 am »
I appreciate the opinions.  I started preferring #1.  Bouncing this around helps a lot.

Here's one that is half way between #2 & #4 in length.  Actual grill size would be 9.5" x 11".

And here's one for you Beowulf!  10.9" x 15"  - I actually like this one, too.  Thanks!

Yes, the  10.9" x 15" does it for me as well ... nice choice! :thumb:

pstrisik

« Reply #35 on: 27 Feb 2014, 04:09 pm »
Well, I've asked Louis to change finish to Zebra Wood and to make the grill 11" x 13.5" as in mock up below.  I'm waiting to hear if the grill size will work on a practical level with how he mounts the driver.  Mostly if there is space enough at the top edge to match the sides, ie, grill edges 1.5" from top and side edges.

Thanks again for the help processing my thinking about it.

jorgen

« Reply #36 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:17 pm »
Looks very nice! I didn't think about grills when I ordered. Since they are modified 3xrs I guess they will be in the 3xrs style.. In retrospect I'm sort of glad, all the choices... And a surprise when they arrive. Ordered zebra as well.

pstrisik

« Reply #37 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:35 pm »
Looks very nice! I didn't think about grills when I ordered. Since they are modified 3xrs I guess they will be in the 3xrs style.. In retrospect I'm sort of glad, all the choices... And a surprise when they arrive. Ordered zebra as well.

The curse and blessing of audiophile OCD.  :wink:

Have you posted and pics of your zebra wood 3's?  If not, would you?  I'd love to see what it looks like in a similar cabinet.

Thanks.......Peter

edit:  I just realized that you are waiting for yours to arrive (I think) !

jorgen

« Reply #38 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:08 pm »
Yeah I'm waiting for them to arrive. Emailed Louis yesterday and asked if had an idea when they are to be shipped. Hope he don't think I'm too impatient.... I'm just looking forward to listen to music. The amp is ready and on its way from Decware. Guess shipping will be a couple of weeks including customs and stuff. Louis said he will send some pics when done, when I get them I'll post them. I believe he said something about putting them on his website, but not sure

They will be 35" x 11" x 9", 32 liter zebra wood and black bases

pstrisik

« Reply #39 on: 27 Feb 2014, 09:11 pm »
Yeah I'm waiting for them to arrive. Emailed Louis yesterday and asked if had an idea when they are to be shipped. Hope he don't think I'm too impatient.... I'm just looking forward to listen to music. The amp is ready and on its way from Decware. Guess shipping will be a couple of weeks including customs and stuff. Louis said he will send some pics when done, when I get them I'll post them. I believe he said something about putting them on his website, but not sure

They will be 35" x 11" x 9", 32 liter zebra wood and black bases

Cool.. I'm looking forward to seeing them.  New amp and speakers!  Where are you located?  I'm up in Alaska.  :)