Need Advice on Crossover for 3.6

ajzepp

Need Advice on Crossover for 3.6
« on: 28 Feb 2019, 08:34 am »
Over the last five years or so, I've primarily used headphones for music, and my Maggie 3.6 are mainly for HT duty. After getting a tube preamp back in the mix and realizing just how amazing Maggies are for music, now I have the itch to bi-amp them with an external crossover again. I have no desire to change my amp - a Butler 5150 tube hybrid - but I'd like to upgrade from the stock 3.6 crossover and use two channels per speakers like I used to.

Here are my two questions: 1) is the Marchand still the best active crossover option for the 3.6 if I don't want to break the bank? 2) Are there any used options you guys can suggest aside from the Marchand that would be worth considering?

My budget is $1250ish, give or take.

Thanks in advance

ajzepp

Re: Need Advice on Crossover for 3.6
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2019, 01:19 am »
Well, I guess I just answered my own question...sort of.

I was looking through my past email exchanges with Phil Marchand, and he suggested his XM9 as a less expensive option than the XM44.

Sooo, I may look into that. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again

66mgb

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2019, 08:39 pm »
I use a First Watt ( Pass Labs ) B4 crossover to biamp my 3.6's. It is very good build quality, does not impose and sound on the source very neutral. It is one of the most flexible for setting crossover slopes and frequency, easily done by the jumpers on the board. Recommend it highly. Reno Hifi is one source, Its where I bought mine.
Russ

66mgb

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2019, 08:46 pm »

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2019, 05:28 am »
A visitor!! It's been like a ghost town up in here lately...

Thanks for the feedback, Russ...added it to my list!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2019, 10:21 am »
Here is a thought:
For $1250 (give or take), why not sell the 3.6s and pick up a pair of used 3.7s or the later 3.7i?

You wouldn't be able to biamp but you might not miss that.

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2019, 05:11 pm »
There is no need for an active high pass section. It can be done with a simple capacitor in each channel. The low pass is really not that critical, it is a rather straight forward 4th order filter that can be a DIY project. I am using a miniDSP for that section with my 3.6. I have some analog filters too but I have not felt any need to change yet. Of course, you can do a lot other things with a DSP but that can upset the timing of the low and high pass legs. The processing of the DSP will take its time to some degree. Going active certainly gives you a few more options to tailor the speakers to your setup.

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2019, 12:01 pm »
There is no need for an active high pass section. It can be done with a simple capacitor in each channel. The low pass is really not that critical, it is a rather straight forward 4th order filter that can be a DIY project. I am using a miniDSP for that section with my 3.6. I have some analog filters too but I have not felt any need to change yet. Of course, you can do a lot other things with a DSP but that can upset the timing of the low and high pass legs. The processing of the DSP will take its time to some degree. Going active certainly gives you a few more options to tailor the speakers to your setup.

Well, the main problem is that I understood about 14.6% of what you just said lol. I did speak with miniDSP about their "SHD" product. I like the idea of it, but when I went through the manual I realized this is just a massive blind spot for me in audio. When I did the Marchand crossover previously, I just gave him the factory crossover settings for the 3.6 per the manual, and he installed them into the crossover. It was just plug and play on my end.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2019, 12:03 pm »
Here is a thought:
For $1250 (give or take), why not sell the 3.6s and pick up a pair of used 3.7s or the later 3.7i?

You wouldn't be able to biamp but you might not miss that.

I wouldn't get much for my 3.6's probably since I scuffed up the top of one of the wooden rails. I like how you think, though, my friend. I would love to upgrade to the 3.7s.