Further upgrades to my MGIIIa

simoon

Further upgrades to my MGIIIa
« on: 15 May 2018, 02:23 am »
I posted about a year ago about a pair of MGIIIA's I bought from a local seller for $300.

I replaced a blown tweeter, built new stands, relaminated some areas, put new socks on them, and built my own stands. The stands made a nice sonic improvement.

So, just this week, I upgraded the crossovers with some substantially better quality caps than the original ones. The original ones, even for their time, were somewhat inferior to what was available. Yeah, I know, Magnepan tries to deliver a great sounding product for a reasonable price. And they consistently succeed. But, my upgrades just show that Magnepans are capable of more than the deliver from the factory.

All the existing cap values measured exactly correct, so I don't believe the improvements I heard were just due to old caps being replaced.

I replaced all capacitors, in the external and internal crossover, with Erse Pulse X caps. High quality at reasonable prices.

The difference was not subtle. The kind of thudy sounding mid bass these are known for almost disappeared, depth improved, detail improved, ambient information improved, there was more air around instruments. They sound like a different speaker.

I still can't believe they don't offer an improved stand/suport (like Mye stands) option. Everyone out there with a pair of unsupported Magnepans, is not getting the full capabilities out of their speakers.