STA100 question

ricardojoa

STA100 question
« on: 11 Mar 2014, 05:10 pm »
Just got this amp, also with the avp18.
Got a question on the amp though. Should i leave the amp on all the time, or should i swicth it off? The swicth is on the back, that seems a odd place if is desinged to be swicth off when not use. I have found that leaving it on, the unit is actually slightly warm to touch.

John Casler

Re: STA100 question
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2014, 05:18 pm »
I would suggest that if you use your system daily to leave it on.

Also make sure it has plenty of ventilation and space around it.  It should actually be warm.  Best performance will be achieved at operating temperature.

ricardojoa

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2014, 01:53 am »
Just wanted to see if it is normal to have a background hiss from these amps? I could actually hear a static and hiss noise when turning on the amp. The static seems to go away but the hiss remains. The hiss and static can be hear with no RCA connection and only speakers connected.
I'm running 85 db sensitivity speakers.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2014, 06:49 am »
Not that I have heard.  Unless you have super efficient speakers, they should be almost dead silent.

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2014, 05:08 am »
Thank you,
What could cause hiss noise? Im running 85db speakers.
I have tried a diiferent power source with not much help.
The hiss is not bad, but you will always want to achieve the quiet background.

ziv

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:32 am »
I have an MCA-18 which appears to be quite similar (but 8 channels instead of 2) and I also have a permanent noticable background hiss.

I asked my reseller and a second MCA-18 is on the way to see if this is a defect from a specific copy of the model or a consequence of its rather low SNR (89dB for the MCA-18, 91dB for the STA-100).

If it is also there on the second copy, I will replace it by another brand...

Unfortunately, I found a testimony on a French forum that another MCA-18 also had some kind of background hiss so I am quite pessimistic on the results.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2014, 10:31 pm by ziv »

Sovos

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2015, 07:42 pm »
I have exactly the same problem with a nuforce sta120 connected to a dac-80, a high and constant "white noise" on my speakers, even with audio level at zero.
I'm really disappointed, and hope it´s not due to a bad design.
If you have any solution, it would be really great :)
Sorry for my approximative english, i'm french.

Genez

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:43 pm »
My STA 100 had a slight hiss to it while new out of the box.  A year later I hear nothing...