Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

gary

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #800 on: 21 Feb 2011, 12:27 am »
Avett Brothers in Geneva NY. Technically I haven't seen it yet, I'm standing in line waiting to get in (and freezing my ass off).

gary

vinyl_lady

« Reply #801 on: 21 Feb 2011, 03:36 am »
Great pics Laura :thumb:
I saw The Decemberists at The Beacon Theater ... it was a dynamite show!
But after the show...UGH! I drove back from Manhattan to Long Beach in a wicked blizzard  :o
it took four hair raising hours to get home and I had to get up for ework the next morning. That'll learn me for not taking the train  :duh:

Great to see a post from ya. :thumb: You have had some wicked weather. I used Hilton Honor points and stay at the Portland Hilton about 2 blocks from the concert hall because I didn't want to drive after the show. Glad you made it home safely.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #802 on: 21 Feb 2011, 06:20 pm »

Motorhead headlining a three-band bill supported by two bands from the US: Valiant Thorr and the inimitable Clutch. Show was in a sold-out 1600 soft-seat hall from the vaudeville era where I've seen most of my favorite shows - really beautiful room with good acoustics. Haven't seen such a hard-drinking crowd since seeing the Drive-By Truckers but a lot of that drinking was getting done on stage  :wink:...
Well-paced 70-minute set from Lemmy and the boys covering their catalogue from Bomber to The World Is Yours, their most recent record.

Not for everyone but those who like them like them a lot. A straight-up blast of no-nonsense heavy music. As Lemmy says matter-of-factly at the outset of every show:
 " Good evening. We are Motorhead...and we play rock n' roll."

And there's nothing wrong with that.

D.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #803 on: 27 Feb 2011, 03:27 pm »
We saw Tommy Emmanual at the Clayton Center, in Clayton, North Carolina. 10 rows back in a very small venue compared to most concerts. Tickets were $28 each. The concert was AWESOME.

Short Review:
Just got back 3 hrs long. one word AWESOME.

Tommy can play the guitar VERY,  VERY Well...

He makes it sing.

A real gentleman and was very appreciative of his talents, what life has brought him
and made the audiece feel like they were special.

Funny, quick witted and a really enjoyable person.

He allowed us to see into his very special world...he is blessed with talent.

No real pictures, I was so amazed at his playing....I will always remember this concert.

We were about 50 feet from him....

Going to bed!! Still vibrating from the music!

If your ever get a chance to see this man play you will be amazed at his talents. He is a guitarist. I have seen Joe Satriani and other greats, Tommy is in a class by himself. You dont see this kind of emotional playing often. He is a human dynamo, full of energy for being 56 yrs old.

He is a real musician that can play anything. He is from Australia. Has been playing for 5 decades, doesnt read music, listened to Chet Atkins when he was playing for about 5 years and learned to master his craft.

The Clayton Center seats around 400 in the lower level and about another 100 in the upper level. Its like an old time movie theater redone and used for small performances.

It makes for an enjoyable experience, if you get tickets early you really get to see the performer very well without using a telescope, NO jumbo TV screens needed!

Check out his youtube videos and go see him!!

All the Best
Alex

http://www.tommyemmanuel.com/

vinyl_lady

« Reply #804 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:57 am »
David Gray at the INB Performing Arts Center in Spokane WA on March 5, 2011. It was a great show. Excellent musicians in a concert hall with outstanding acoustics and a new sound system. :thumb: David showcased his new album and played a lot of old favorites. A young Irish lady, Leslie O'Neill opened. She reminded me of the 60's troubadors like Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell, but her songs were more whimiscial.

mmurt

« Reply #805 on: 9 Mar 2011, 06:10 pm »
Going to see David Gray tonight, Spreckles Theater, 10th row orchestra section in down town San Diego.  Can't wait.  Saw him last summer outdoors with Ray Lamontagne and it was a great show.  Thanks for the review.

ltr317

« Reply #806 on: 9 Mar 2011, 06:37 pm »
David Gray at the INB Performing Arts Center in Spokane WA on March 5, 2011. It was a great show. Excellent musicians in a concert hall with outstanding acoustics and a new sound system. :thumb: David showcased his new album and played a lot of old favorites. A young Irish lady, Leslie O'Neill opened. She reminded me of the 60's troubadors like Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell, but her songs were more whimiscial.

:thumb: :thumb:  I want to catch his show when he comes to the east coast.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #807 on: 13 Mar 2011, 01:51 am »
:thumb: :thumb:  I want to catch his show when he comes to the east coast.

Do it Paul. It was a great show with a great band

mjosef

« Reply #808 on: 14 Mar 2011, 03:55 am »
Caught some great performances a week ago...well worth the considerable mulla'.  :thumb:

NYTimes review:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/03/arts/music/03payton.html
Nicholas Payton Big Band at Dizzy's Club

charles28722

Caught them live at my favorite music venue last night in Asheville, NC.  If you have the opportunity to see her, I highly suggest you make the time.  There were eleven vocalists and musicians on stage, including saxes, trumpet and bongos. The musicians were excellent and Sharon Jones puts on a high-energy, entertaining and well orchestrated performance.  I was expecting a good show - it was much better than that!

Charles

wje

« Reply #810 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:24 am »
Al di Meola - A few nights back at the Barnes at Wolftrap.  Located just west of Tyson's Corner in Northern VA.  Great Show !!!

*Scotty*

« Reply #811 on: 31 Mar 2011, 01:54 am »
Just got back from the reception held at The Washington Plaza Hotel commemorating The International Year of The Forest.
  Chuck Leavell and The Second Amendments played some classic rock tunes including Already Gone and Brown Sugar to name a couple. Very good musicianship,very tight playing. Chuck also did a solo set on his electric piano. Good tunes and three open bars plus very good hors d'oeuvres.

Nothing like the real thing to recalibrate your ears.
Scotty

bauzace50

« Reply #812 on: 31 Mar 2011, 02:59 am »
Hi,
this WILL happen next Sunday, April 3rd. The graduate students of the" San Juan Free School of Music" will present Grieg: piano concerto, and Liszt: "Les Preludes".  It will be good to hear live music making, again, and re-calibrating the ears with the real stuff...perfect occasion.

Wonder how "The Old Ashmolean Marching Society of Students Conservatory Band" would sound like?  :)  Some other day...

bauzace50

vinyl_lady

« Reply #813 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:27 pm »
Elton John at a sold out Spokane Arena, April 8. It is his definitive hits tour. He played for just under 3 hours with only a 2 or 3 minute encore break. Nigil Olsson has been his drummer since day 1, 42 years, and lead guitar Davey Johnson has  been with him since 1971. A high energy concert. The only negative was the mix was a little too bright, at least from where we were sitting. One of ladies singing backing vocals is an original member of Sly & the Family Stone :thumb:

putz

« Reply #814 on: 10 Apr 2011, 03:08 am »
Saw John Mayall at the Ukranian Cultural Center in Whippany, NJ on Monday. 77 years young and still going strong. I have some cell phone shots but nothing worth the effort of uploading. He's retired the Bluesbreakers. Has a 4 piece band and the other 3 were all outstanding. So John's playing his electric Piano with one hand, blowing his harp with the other and singing away. The old ladies were selling pierogis and kielbasy with onions and sauerkraut over in the corner of the room and best of all I took a whizz with John before the show. We almost crossed swords. Sorry no cell phone shots.

He's touring all over the US and Europe so check out his website for future dates. And he just released his 57th album of which Pumpkinman has 55 I believe.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #815 on: 10 Apr 2011, 04:54 am »
...best of all I took a whizz with John before the show. We almost crossed swords. Sorry no cell phone shots.

Best news I've heard all day !  :)

D.D.

low.pfile

« Reply #816 on: 22 Apr 2011, 08:39 am »
Tonight in Oakland was the kick off the 6 stop concert tour called the Railroad Revival Tour. It is named so because the tour is entirely by rail-- mid-century California Zephyr, looked original to me. The concert tour is Mumford & Sons, Old Crow Medicine Show and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I am not a jam band fan, but it was pretty cool when they played in each other sets and the finale with about 20 musicians jamming on stage. Great energy by all of the bands and a fun night to kick off this years outdoor concerts.

Keeping an eye on that M&S, they are very talented!

The sound was very good for outdoors (not including the temporary bad mic for ESMZ)

No big cameras were allowed for the spectators. So, I only had my point and shoot which seemed to have problems focusing in the dark at a long distance. But I was much further back from the stage than normal--my friends are not "up close" people.

sts9fan

« Reply #817 on: 22 Apr 2011, 12:30 pm »
On Tuesday night I saw Iron & Wine at the HOB in Boston.  He put on a great show and the band he has now was really good.  Everything still focused on him and his voice but witht he added texture of the band.  Two mellow thumbs up!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #818 on: 22 Apr 2011, 01:14 pm »
Nigil Olsson has been his drummer since day 1, 42 years,

Except for the small break he took in the early '90's.  He's a super super nice man.  I had the pleasure of dealing with him for a couple of years.  Great guy!

low.pfile

« Reply #819 on: 22 Apr 2011, 06:18 pm »
On Tuesday night I saw Iron & Wine at the HOB in Boston.  He put on a great show and the band he has now was really good.  Everything still focused on him and his voice but witht he added texture of the band.  Two mellow thumbs up!

Nice up front spot! I really want to see them. sold out here. but still looking for tix that aren't 2-3x!