Budget audio racks

artur9

Re: Budget audio racks
« Reply #20 on: 31 Aug 2018, 11:23 am »
I used a small Ikea rack for around $18 to hold a few components.  Spray painted it glossy black and bob's your uncle.

djbnh

« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2018, 11:41 am »
Ikea used to make a Norden side table with 3 drawers and three levels, now discontinued.

Went for $299 and less, holds tons of gear, nice to have the drawer storage.

artur9

« Reply #22 on: 1 Sep 2018, 12:48 am »
I just gave one of those away to charity.  The top held my 5-6 crates of LPs perfectly.

kbuzz3

« Reply #23 on: 1 Sep 2018, 03:35 pm »
I’m thinking about this one at $220...although wire management will be an issue

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdx/trent-austin-design-marissa-50-tv-stand-tadn8502.html

[/img]

artur9

« Reply #24 on: 1 Sep 2018, 08:20 pm »
There are all kinds of tricks for wire management.  In for the above I'd run the wires along the back of the shelves and legs.  But that might bust the budget for wires.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2018, 03:30 pm »
Even a small end table can work.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2018, 03:32 pm »

sunnydaze

« Reply #27 on: 12 Sep 2018, 10:46 pm »
$225 at the local TJ Maxx:

Joe Frances

« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2018, 03:37 am »
The Pangea in rosenut finish is superb. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #29 on: 20 Sep 2018, 03:41 am »
$225 at the local TJ Maxx:

I can't find it on the website.

sunnydaze

« Reply #30 on: 20 Sep 2018, 03:47 pm »
I can't find it on the website.

It's not there.  When shopping at TJM I notice that it has lots of one-off pieces that are not part of their regular website inventory.  TJ is part of a corporate group that includes Marshalls, Home Goods, and Sierra Trading Post. 

When in the stores I notice many of the same items circulating across TJ and the first 2, with Home Goods having the more "upscale" feel.  My sense is that when an item sits and doesn't sell at HG, it gets moved to the move down-market Marshalls and TJM.  But I could be wrong.   Maybe checking their websites will be worthwhile?

After I bought it a few buddies liked it and inquired about it.  I checked the store tags and for markings on the rack itself.  No mfr name, model, item # etc could be found so I was not able to search and locate it online.

Unlike most consoles / TV stands at this price point, it does appear to be solid wood and has greater weight / sturdiness / stability.  My only complaint is that the middle shelf (13 inches) is not as deep as the others (17 inches), and the rear metal cross braces can get in the way of gear connectors and cabling.

Wayfair and Overstock have a big selection of decent looking ones in the $200 - $300 range, but almost all are particle board and have a way low weight capacity that just won't do it for heavy audio gear.   Search on "TV stands".

Sorry I can't be of more help.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #31 on: 22 Sep 2018, 06:06 am »
I bought this unit a couple of years ago at Ikea as a temporary solution. It works well because of how long it is and the two shelves hold a lot of gear.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50228034/

twitch54

« Reply #32 on: 22 Sep 2018, 12:19 pm »
I bought this unit a couple of years ago at Ikea as a temporary solution. It works well because of how long it is and the two shelves hold a lot of gear.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50228034/

looks nice, although good cable management would be a must !

twitch54

« Reply #33 on: 22 Sep 2018, 12:21 pm »
I’m thinking about this one at $220...although wire management will be an issue

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdx/trent-austin-design-marissa-50-tv-stand-tadn8502.html

[/img]

turntable location is ridiculous !

dB Cooper

« Reply #34 on: 22 Sep 2018, 02:18 pm »
It doesn't appear to be connected to anything, so does it matter?
Oh, it's a catalog pic. Never mind. Where are all the LPs lying on the floor that they usually have in ads and catalog photos though?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #35 on: 22 Sep 2018, 06:16 pm »
  If $500 is over cheap and cheerful limit remove post. SGR Audio Rack entry level $500. If you are a DIY person buy 75% solid concrete blocks and 18" wide solid core wood doors and stack away. Fill voids in block with sand. Use viscoelastic door bumpers for leveling door on block.

charles

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #36 on: 22 Sep 2018, 06:28 pm »
  If $500 is over cheap and cheerful limit remove post. SGR Audio Rack entry level $500. If you are a DIY person buy 75% solid concrete blocks and 18" wide solid core wood doors and stack away. Fill voids in block with sand. Use viscoelastic door bumpers for leveling door on block.

charles

https://www.sgrhifiracks.com/collection/signature-model-1-hifi-rack.html

Is the Level 1 $590 for a three level? It's confusing with their terminology. It says $590 a level. Is a "level" each shelf or a set of three shelves?

Do you sell it or something?

twitch54

« Reply #37 on: 22 Sep 2018, 07:54 pm »
Where are all the LPs lying on the floor that they usually have in ads and catalog photos though?

in the wire rack to the left ......

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #38 on: 23 Sep 2018, 11:07 pm »
double post

Mudslide

« Reply #39 on: 24 Sep 2018, 03:25 am »
I'm partial to Sanus...good quality, good pricing.  Fine audio racks for well under a hundred bucks.

Here is an A/V rack for 2 Benjamins... 

http://www.audiogurus.com/sanus-afv48b-widescreen-tv-av-stand.html