which phase plug to use in fostex fe206e's w/oris 200 horns

doug s.

• makin' music
hi all,

i am considering phase plugs for the fostex fe206e drivers residing in my oris 200 horns (which are crossed over to 15" drivers in beefed up klipsih lascala bass bins.. anyone have comments about the decware phase plugs &/or planet 10 phase plugs.

thanks.

doug s.

mcgsxr

Re: which phase plug to use in fostex fe206e's w/oris 200 horns
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2008, 03:49 pm »
I cannot speak to the specific plugs for that driver, but I use the Planet10 phase plugs on my OB Visaton b200's, and have been very happy with them for about a year now.

They noticably reduced beaming, and were not that tough to install - mostly the gut check around taking a scalpel to my drivers!

meby

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2008, 04:34 pm »
Doug how do you like your Oris horns?  I am considering purchase but have never heard them in person.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2008, 07:03 pm »
Doug how do you like your Oris horns?  I am considering purchase but have never heard them in person.

i have limited experience w/horns.  i heard avantgarde 2's when the first came out, at dejavu audio in mclean, va.  and, i heard jadis eurythmie's at a s'phile show in nyc a long time ago.  i loved what i heard both times.  so, when the opportunity availed itself, i jumped on these.  and, i am not disappointed.  nice staging, great detail & dynamics.  and, no issues many folks say that horns have , re: "shout", honkiness, etc.  not sure if it's cuz this horn design is better than others, but it likely is partly due to the fact that my speaker system is eq'd w/a deqx 2.6 pda.

another thing you need to realize - the end results can be widely diwergent, depending on what driver you use.  and, depending on what bass binn you use...  the guy who sold me mine has a double-oris set-up, w/150's & 200's, as well as the klipsch lascala bass bins.  and, the driver's he's using - made by aer - cost more per pair than what i paid for my complete oris/driver/bass-bin set-up!   :o  but, if this is true, then these really are a freaking good walue, as the fe206e's are some of the least expensive full range drivers around, & it still sounds fantastic, imo...  i have heard of more than one avantgarde duo/trio owner who sold their system & switched to oris-based systems after hearing them...

another thing is you will do better w/a lot of room.  my listening space is ~18x40, which is great, but since it's a studio apartment, the layout is such that i am only about 8'-10' from the speakers.  i think this is about as close as you can be & still get good results; further would likely be even better.  (if you like headfones, &/or an extremely narrow sweet spot, closer is ok, imo.)

pics from the gallery.  (note the tad super tweeters are not connected, & they don't need to be, either.):

doug s.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2008, 08:41 pm by doug s. »

bacobits1

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2008, 07:18 pm »
I also use Planet 10's Phase Plugs for Fostex 167E. I lke them and as mentioned they cut some of the beaming and help on piano in particular.These are in Brines FT600II's. Easy install, but steady hand no slips!!!!!! Make sure all particles left behind if any are removed. follow instructions if you go this route.

D

meby

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2008, 08:03 pm »
I am currently running Mini voight pipes that have Enabled Fostex drivers and I love the sound.  But I also would like to get a more full range speaker to do the bottom end as I like all types of music.  I am leaning towards either vintage Altec 604s in an OB design or possibly Oris as I have always loved Avantgarde sound but could never afford them even at their used prices.
  Doug that set up looks sweet! Enjoy. :thumb: