Surprised by my own answer about LPs

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Surprised by my own answer about LPs
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2020, 03:14 pm »
Like Photon, I've got a sizeable stock of LP's.  If started listening to an album a day, it would take me about 10 years to go through the collection.
Now take that away, and I'd simply do a streaming service.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2020, 03:32 pm »
I’m guessing you haven’t moved in quite a while? There definitely isn’t a tiny house in your future.  :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2020, 03:35 pm »
  For me it is all about the music, meaning the recording. If I have it on LP recorded in Analog no need to buy the CD. If the CD was recorded in DSD or digital I do not buy the LP. Not a fan of up sampled Hi - Rez on CD. If recorded in Hi-Rez [ DSD ] and played through a server capable of that  Hi-Rez, hard to beat. Today most vinyl is recorded in Digital so what is the sense. Buy the CD.
  Having a large collection of 10" mono LPs and a Mono Cartridge it allows me to hear those marvelous recordings that are NOT available. My reference digital comes from Blue Coast Records. IMO the best around. Limited selection but man o man are they well recorded.
  Both formats have their advantage and deserve respect. The big question though is " Cost " Which format cost you less for the best quality ??

charles

Photon46

« Reply #23 on: 21 Apr 2020, 04:21 pm »
  For me it is all about the music, meaning the recording. If I have it on LP recorded in Analog no need to buy the CD. If the CD was recorded in DSD or digital I do not buy the LP. Not a fan of up sampled Hi - Rez on CD. If recorded in Hi-Rez [ DSD ] and played through a server capable of that  Hi-Rez, hard to beat. Today most vinyl is recorded in Digital so what is the sense. Buy the CD.
  Having a large collection of 10" mono LPs and a Mono Cartridge it allows me to hear those marvelous recordings that are NOT available. My reference digital comes from Blue Coast Records. IMO the best around. Limited selection but man o man are they well recorded.
  Both formats have their advantage and deserve respect. The big question though is " Cost " Which format cost you less for the best quality ??

charles

I've got quite a number of titles in both vinyl and cd (or SACD) that were recorded digitally and I've been quite surprised that there are greater differences than one would expect. Often, the comparison is a wash, they're just different and neither is a clear winner. Sometimes, the vinyl is better. I'm hard pressed to think of one time the cd sounded better than vinyl IMO (all this assumes the vinyl is clean and well preserved.)

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2020, 05:05 pm »
If I have it on LP recorded in Analog no need to buy the CD.

I agree with charles  :o :o :o :o :o

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2020, 06:05 pm »
I'm another that sold his record albums (2001)  because of a move. The records had been in a closet for a few years, pretty much unused. It was time to move them to someone who would listen to them. I kept around 100 of them, some for sentimental reasons, others because they weren't worth selling.

No regrets.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2020, 06:18 pm »
I agree with charles  :o :o :o :o :o

Wow John it is a miracle. Be well.

charles

uncola

« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2020, 07:23 pm »
wait.. LP isn't Linear Power supply?  I clicked this thread hoping to see impressions on the linear power supply upgrade for desktop maraschinos

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 21 Apr 2020, 08:02 pm »
 :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 21 Apr 2020, 08:47 pm »
wait.. LP isn't Linear Power supply?  I clicked this thread hoping to see impressions on the linear power supply upgrade for desktop maraschinos

Have a 7 UP to bide your time.  :)

charles

GregC

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2020, 11:34 pm »
Sorry to resurrect a thread that is more than 30 days old, but I had to add in my 2 cents.

All of the amplification for my HT and 2 channel systems is from Tommy.  My Golden Cherry amps with linear power supplies sound mind boggling good. 

My preamp is a Spread Spectrum Technologies Ambrosia Gen 2.

I have a Wyed4Sound 10 Anniversary DAC for digital playback. 

For my vinyl rig I have an Origin Live Sovereign turntable, Origin Live Conqueror 2 arm (with upgraded silver wiring), ZYX Universe 2 cartridge, and a Modwright PH 9.0 phono stage (with an upgraded Wywires umbilical cord). 

Having what I consider high end sources for digital and analog, I can say they BOTH sound outstanding.  But if I had to choose one over the other (excluding convenience), the vinyl sounds better in my humble opinion.  Fortunately I am am archiving my vinyl to digital, so I get excellent sound AND convenience.