The Rivalry Renews tonight - Yanks vs. Sox

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
The Rivalry Renews tonight - Yanks vs. Sox
« on: 24 Apr 2009, 10:46 pm »
The best rivalry in baseball (sorry Cubs/Cardinals and Giants/Dodgers fans) starts back up tonight with the Yankees at the Red Sox.

Both teams are 9-6 and not exactly lighting the world on fire, but I am sure they will both start catching fire soon.

On paper, it is a good pitching match-up with Chamberlain vs. Lester.  Hopefully Big Papi's whining won't impact the umpires and will allow both sides to pitch inside.

GO BOMBERS!!!

George

MarkM

Re: The Rivalry Renews tonight - Yanks vs. Sox
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2009, 03:37 am »
What a great game....for Red Sox nation.   

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2009, 11:39 am »
Certainly not the ending I was expecting or wanting. 

Hopefully the Yanks rebound and grab today's game.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2009, 05:58 pm »
Beckett vs. Burnett.  Should be good.

rydenfan

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2009, 10:17 pm »
Rare to Mariano to give up a shot like that, but it was certainly an exciting way to start the season.

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2009, 02:44 pm »
What a great weekend of baseball!  I do wish that Becket did not look so bad but ah well what can you do.  Gotta love some young starting/relief pitching getting it done last night.

GO SOX!!! 

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2009, 03:24 pm »
All I can say is OUCH!!!

While it isn't quite the equivalent of the famous "Boston Massacre", it was not a pleasant weekend if you are a Yankees fan.

Not only did the Yankees get swept in three different ways, but they also placed three more people on the DL (Wang, Ransom, Bruney).

Hopefully the Bombers can stabilize things and stay in it until they start getting key people back.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2009, 03:36 pm »
It was pretty cool to see a straight steal of home.  I never saw one live on games I watched until last night.  It was quick.  Speed kills. 

Scottdazzle

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2009, 03:45 pm »
Rod Carew stole home 6 times for the Twins in '69!  I saw a couple of those and Ellsbury brought back great memories.

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2009, 03:45 pm »
yeah that was great. Jacoby has some speed.

rydenfan

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2009, 01:46 pm »
Another great game last night. The Yanks had their chance in the bottom of the 9th but Papelbon was just too much. Certainly a few great duals in the last inning.

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2009, 02:05 pm »
I like the way this season series is going.   

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2009, 02:07 pm »
Another great game last night. The Yanks had their chance in the bottom of the 9th but Papelbon was just too much. Certainly a few great duals in the last inning.

0-4 vs. the Red Sox is not the way I wanted to see the Yanks start things off.   :oops:

Hopefully we can get a "W" tonight.

George

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2009, 12:02 pm »
Another good game with Beckett looking a bit better.

I will say though that Joba throwing at Bay was crap and bush league.  Then he celebrates and fist pumps for the end of the inning?  I would save that for a W.  I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Of course you will bring up Beckett throwing at Abreu which I think was a really stupid thing to do.  Sox were real classy last night with no retaliation to jeopardize the one run lead.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2009, 01:44 pm »
Another good game with Beckett looking a bit better.

I will say though that Joba throwing at Bay was crap and bush league.  Then he celebrates and fist pumps for the end of the inning?  I would save that for a W.  I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Of course you will bring up Beckett throwing at Abreu which I think was a really stupid thing to do.  Sox were real classy last night with no retaliation to jeopardize the one run lead.

I missed Joba throwing at Bay and didn't read or hear anything about it this morning on Sports Center, what exactly happened?

Outside of the 1st half a dozen hitters, Joba was dominate, striking out 12 in less than 6 full innings of work.

Of course, what matters the most is who won the game.   :(

George

sts9fan

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2009, 02:02 pm »
He was for sure dominant.

He threw at Bay his second or third time up after he had hit a homer previously.  Everyone kept their heads which is good.  After that he struckout Lowell and acted like it was a playoff victory.  Grand scheme not that big a deal but nobody was really sure why he threw at him.  bay is not exactly a dislikeable guy.  I think it was to provoke Beckett.

Dan_ed

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2009, 02:38 pm »
Joba did well with a generously expanded strike zone. I didn't really look close enough to see if the ump was giving Becket the same, but they usually do. Becket hasn't really found the control yet so he could use some help from the ump also.

And what was up with giving the Yank pitcher a wild pitch on Monday night when it was obviously a passed ball on Molina?

While we all watch, the Rays are coming up from behind on both of these teams. Should be a great time at the end of the season.

My prediction is that Teixeira will take the payback beaner in Boston.