no sound on TV and need recommendations on new TV

Nick B

no sound on TV and need recommendations on new TV
« on: 11 Oct 2021, 07:01 pm »
The volume on my 2015 40 inch Samsung (U640D?)  TV is not working as of this morning. I have unplugged the TV and then gone into settings and also done a volume reset. It is not on mute function on either the Samsung remote or the Roku TV remote. I am out of ideas and it looks like maybe a new TV is in order.

If I am buying new, I would sure appreciate some advice. I have bought the last two TVs, both from Samsung, from Costco and bought the extended warranty. So that gave me a total of five years protection. I’d like to do that again if possible. Costco‘s extended warranty is hassle free. A tech will come out and if the TV isn’t fixable, they’ll replace it with a new one. I subscribe to Hulu live and I’m fine with that. I’d like to keep the price at $600 or less and at 43 inches or less. The TV is used in a very small room and I may be 8 feet from the screen. I don’t know much about video, but I may as well get 4K capability and a refresh rate of at least 120 Hz and the most important thing is a user-friendly interface. Thanks

eduke55

Re: no sound on TV and need recommendations on new TV
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2021, 09:33 pm »
First Nick,
Would you consider adding a sound bar if you are happy with the video performance? I'm assuming that model has audio outputs that a sound bar would need. If you opted for a sound bar make to purchase it from a place with a good return policy, just in case in doesn't work because your tv's audio is completely shot.
 If you made up you mind to buy new there are many options and I recommend you look up reviews on TVs that meet your desired options. Start with size (or price?), price, options (really have a list of must haves), and lastly the ratings of the establishment you are going to purchase if from. I am not going to get into the current technologies, OLED, QLED, etc., because if you read reviews they will probably explain it better. I would also play good attention to the audio quality rating too. Lastly, check out out owner reviews for the models you are thinking about and use them also as a guide. The internet has made this research easier but the truth is looking at the picture in person should be the final step before purchase. So if possible check out the TV in the store or showroom. Good Luck!

Nick B

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2021, 10:53 pm »
First Nick,
Would you consider adding a sound bar if you are happy with the video performance? I'm assuming that model has audio outputs that a sound bar would need. If you opted for a sound bar make to purchase it from a place with a good return policy, just in case in doesn't work because your tv's audio is completely shot.
 If you made up you mind to buy new there are many options and I recommend you look up reviews on TVs that meet your desired options. Start with size (or price?), price, options (really have a list of must haves), and lastly the ratings of the establishment you are going to purchase if from. I am not going to get into the current technologies, OLED, QLED, etc., because if you read reviews they will probably explain it better. I would also play good attention to the audio quality rating too. Lastly, check out out owner reviews for the models you are thinking about and use them also as a guide. The internet has made this research easier but the truth is looking at the picture in person should be the final step before purchase. So if possible check out the TV in the store or showroom. Good Luck!

Thanks for your thoughts. It’s a 6 year old unit and not worth adding a sound bar imo. Very little room on top of the small cabinet and it looks like most, if not all of the sound bars I just looked at, need to be separately powered…so more wires and connections. The newer TVs also have wide mounted feet rather than a simple central pedestal and I’d prefer not to have to buy a wider cabinet. I was just at Costco and will take a look at Amazon. There’s a Walmart in town as well.

I’ll check out reviews as you suggest. Video isn’t that important to me compared to my audio system 🎶

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2021, 11:05 pm »
Our spare TV crapped out 3 weeks ago and I bought a 43" Samsung.  It is an entry level QLED.  Its picture is  very good but HDR is just ok. It has good brightness on HD quality.  It is the SS QN43Q60AAFXZA.  It lists for $599 but Best Buy puts it on sale for $550 every few weeks.  You will need a sound bar as the sound quality is crap.

Stay away from the Samsung UN43AU8000FXZA.  We took it home and returned it the next day.  Total junk. It's picture is too dark and HD sucks and don't even think about HDR.

If you can spend a little more money, this Sony looked great.  KD43X85J.  It lists for $899 but BB has it on sale for $749.  It is well worth it to move up to over the SS. Stay away from the Sony XJ80.  The SS Q60A has a brighter picture.

If you haven't checked out this site for TV reviews and calibration, do so.  It is spot on for at least the TV's we looked at or considered. And their calibration settings are very good and you can tweak them to your liking. By the way the cheap TCL, Vizio and Hisense TV's are crap compared the the SS and Sony models I listed.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60a-qled

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x85j

One last thing to note is that these  cheaper TV's have relatively poor viewing angles.

Larry

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2021, 11:07 pm »
I recall reading an article (don't recall where) several years ago that Costco electronics, i.e., TVs, cost less because the parts are cheaper. The model numbers are slightly different than models one would find at other electronic stores because the parts are not the same. So you may want to check the particular Costco model you are interested in against the model at at a Best Buy or other electronics store. If the numbers are the same, then all should be good. I like OLED TVs from Sony and LG. I would also concur with getting a soundbar with a subwoofer, as TVs become ever thinner, the sound quality tends to diminish. Good luck.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2021, 11:13 pm »
I recall reading an article (don't recall where) several years ago that Costco electronics, i.e., TVs, cost less because the parts are cheaper. The model numbers are slightly different than models one would find at other electronic stores because the parts are not the same. So you may want to check the particular Costco model you are interested in against the model at at a Best Buy or other electronics store. If the numbers are the same, then all should be good. I like OLED TVs from Sony and LG. I would also concur with getting a soundbar with a subwoofer, as TVs become ever thinner, the sound quality tends to diminish. Good luck.

Costco does not have much for 43" TV's and they don't carry the SS Q60a or the Sony XJ85 in the 43" models.  We had to go to Best Buy.  Best Buy is great for returning TV's.  We returned that first  SS AU8000 and no questions were asked.  The salesman did say that that is one of their most returned models which speaks for itself as far as picture quality.  And stay away from the older TU8000 which is worse.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2021, 11:18 pm »
Nick,  you won't get a  Samsung 120hz 43" TV for that price.   Even the Samsung TV that I listed is native 60hz.  The Sony XJ85 is native 120hz so you may need to jump up to it if 120hz is important to you.

Nick B

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2021, 01:14 am »

Could be as to cheaper parts. It’s pretty disappointing to have a TV conk out at 6 years. There is a Best Buy in town. It’s a 10 x 10 room, so no need or space for a sub. I owned a Sony TV years ago and currently have an LG washer and dryer that work flawlessly.

Nick B

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2021, 01:53 am »
Larry,

Thanks for all the info and links. I’m fine with a Samsung as long as it’s a decent model. I’ve always thought highly of Sony as well. As to the refresh rate, I don’t know much about that other than I thought a higher rate like 120 was better for watching sports. I basically watch TV for sports and a little Netflix.

I’m going to try and be budget conscious on this as I’ve spent money recently on an AVA SET 120, Supratek Chardonnay and some Wywires cables. All were well worth the money.  Audio will always be my first priority  :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2021, 02:07 am »
Have you seen these? I don't know if either applies in your case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUWAdjXvuFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViEmCcZQDc8

Or search for Fix Samsung TV volume

I take it that you can't change the volume directly by using the buttons on the TV?

Me I would look at the LG or Samsung at Costco. Under $400 in a 43".

Nick B

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2021, 03:16 am »

I take it that you can't change the volume directly by using the buttons on the TV?

Your post is very intriguing. Probably four or five years ago, I had a problem with this very same Samsung. My nephew did an online search and referred to Tom’s Guide. Whatever the issue was at that time, it was partly or completely resolved by unplugging the TV for 30 seconds or more. That’s why I unplugged it this time. As to your question about adjusting the volume on the TV, there are no buttons on the unit. It is all controlled via the remote. I have yet to be able to find out how to uninstall any apps. My hunch is that this is a software related issue and I’ll continue to work on it this evening.

Nick B

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2021, 03:51 am »

The sound works just fine by going into:

1) Menu
2) Support
3) Self Diagnosis
4) Sound Test

To be continued  :popcorn:

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2021, 04:03 am »
Maybe I missed it but believe from your post speaking of the volume of the TV, does that mean you are using the built in speakers? If so, have you tried output from the 1/8 inch headphone jack? If audio is there, using a mini jack to RCA would open play back possibilities.

Nick B

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2021, 05:37 am »
Maybe I missed it but believe from your post speaking of the volume of the TV, does that mean you are using the built in speakers? If so, have you tried output from the 1/8 inch headphone jack? If audio is there, using a mini jack to RCA would open play back possibilities.

Yes, the successful self diagnostic sound test defaulted to the built in speakers. I just found some notes that I spoke with the Costco concierge support dept a couple of years ago about resetting the remote control volume settings. That’s in addition to the other problem that my nephew helped resolve.

I don’t have headphones or external speakers to test further. But it sure seems like a software issue now.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2021, 01:33 pm »

Those TV's have crappy pictures and don't get very bright, especially when compared to  the Samsung Q60A and the Sony XJ85.  You get what you pay for.  I checked out all those TV's.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2021, 04:03 pm »
Nick, the 60hz refresh rate on the SS Q60A handles sports well.  There are settings to control Judder and motion blur.  But unless you jump up to that Sony I listed you just aren't going to find a TV that is 120hz for under $600.  The Q60A is about the best you are going to get.  It is a 4K QLED TV with a very good picture and color.  The non QLED TV's below it can't compete in picture quality, color palette and brightness.  I looked at all the 43" TV offerings at Costco and Best Buy. Nothing has as good a picture quality as the SS Q60  and the Sony XJ85.  Also, at least a my Costco, all the 43" TV's are not calibrated well and have poor signals. All the  TV's 50" and above are calibrated and have 4K-8K signals.  Costco wants you to  buy the larger TV's, more profit for them.

Nick B

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2021, 06:10 pm »
Larry,

My issue is resolved, but I’m saving your recommendations on the Samsung and Sony TVs just in case…. Thank you

1) I called Costco concierge tech-support regarding the old volume issue on the Samsung remote, but they respectfully declined due to it being an out of warranty issue. They did give me the Samsung tech support phone number

2) called Samsung support (in the Dominican Republic) and the young lady assumed remote management of my TV. That was pretty straightforward. She did the same self diagnostic mode that I did last night. She also asked me to unplug the HDMI cable, but that had no effect

3) The issue was resolved by simply unplugging the power supply to my Roku box. How that could have any effect on the volume up and down function of my Samsung remote control is beyond me, but it worked.

So thanks, guys, for your input and I just saved a minimum of $400  :thumb:

eduke55

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2021, 07:27 pm »
Glad your issue was resolved Nick! :)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2021, 08:50 pm »
Glad to hear that you fixed the issue!

Nick B

« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2021, 09:01 pm »