Experience with D100

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Experience with D100
« on: 10 Mar 2006, 02:46 pm »
Greetings everyone,

I recently received a pair of D100 amplifiers to experiement with in conjunction with the Bella loudspeakers. With the higher efficiency of these speakers, I felt the 100 watt D100 should be plenty.

I now have them driving a pair of my Musica Bella SP/AV-2 speakers (96dB / 4 ohm) and pleasantly surprised with how musical, yet refined the presentation is. It was apparent after only a few moments of listening. Excellent resolution, inner detail and transparency. The dynamics of this combination is exceptional as well.
 The noise level is non-existent with these very high efficient speakers which is one of my initial concerns with any amplifier.  I am using the ModWright 9.0SE in front with a Custom Level II Jolida JD100 CD player and my RAM CD25 (Highly modified Music Hall CD25 which Dan Wright  designed for me a few years back with his tube output stage). I can't wait to get my vinyl rig up and running. The table is here, Music Hall MMF-9, just waiting for a phono stage to arrive.

Power cords feeding the amplifiers are VH Audio Flavor 4 with Jam'n Audio PRO14S feeding the preamp and source components.  Interconnects are Eichmann eXpress 6 and speaker cables are Unity Solid Link.

Next week, I will switch the Bella 2 for the Bella 1 at 90dB/8 ohm.

In all fairness, I do not have other similar designs to compare to at this time but it doesn't take long to realize good music when you hear it and I am convinced already that these amps are an exceptional match with my Musica Bella speakers.

Nice job Dusty.

StevenACNJ

Experience with D100
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2006, 02:57 pm »
After reading the results from the recent digital amp comparison event, it appears that the UCD based digital amplifiers like balanced power.

If you have a balanced power conditioner, perhaps you could do a comparison.

Thanks

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Experience with D100
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2006, 03:26 pm »
If you have a balanced power conditioner, perhaps you could do a comparison.

Nope, that I don't have. You have to remember, I'm a tube guy 99.9% of the time.

Charles Calkins

Experience with D100
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2006, 03:33 pm »
I prefer to run my D-200's directly into a wallwart. My ears seem to tell me when they are run through a lineconditioner they seem to have a veil or something like that. Whatever it is it's subtle.

Cheers
                            Charlie

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Experience with D100
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2006, 04:32 pm »
I personally do not like to run ANY amplifier through a line conditioner. When I can avoid it, I don't use a line conditioner at all. Wait a minute, I don't own one.
 The D100s are plugged into an Eichmann eXpress power bar being fed by their own power cord. I am only doing this to be able to accomidate all the components within the system.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Experience with D100
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2006, 06:25 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
I prefer to run my D-200's directly into a wallwart. My ears seem to tell me when they are run through a lineconditioner they seem to have a veil or something like that. Whatever it is it's subtle.

Cheers
                            Charlie

Charles,
What do you mean by "straight into a wallwart"?  Is there a wallwart like device that the CIA D200's use?  I assumed an iec connector, a decent aftermarket pc and into the wall, unemcumbered.  Thanks,
Ted

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Experience with D100
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2006, 06:39 pm »
Yes, the CI Amps do have an IEC where you can use your power cord of choice. As mentioned in my original post, I am using VH Audio power cords. Maybe what he ment by "wal wort" was the AC recepticle at the wall?

Charles Calkins

Experience with D100
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2006, 06:40 pm »
ted-b:
 I guess I should have said just a regular electric wall socket.

Cheers
                     Charlie

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Experience with D100
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2006, 06:46 pm »
Well, my fancy dedicated outlets with cryoed Porter plugs sure stick out like warts.  :wink: Bill, Wouldn't unlimited regenerated pure AC power be like Mana to tube amps?