Most lifelike classical CD you own?

Most lifelike classical CD you own?
« on: 8 Oct 2017, 04:32 am »
What's the most lifelike classical CD you own? Which CD comes closest to sounding like real instrument or singers performing in a real concert space?

andolink

Re: Most lifelike classical CD you own?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2017, 06:06 am »
Great topic!

Here are a couple from my collection that spring to mind--

The Rudolf Lutz Bach-Stiftung Bach cantata cycle recordings are all live and all the ones I've heard are stunningly realistic and without the usual audience noise and creaking chair sounds, etc.

Everything I've heard from the German Wergo label over the past several years is uniformly superbly recorded so I could pick quite a few of my discs from that source as "most lifelike".

andolink

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2017, 06:41 am »
And how could I have forgotten these!--

Each of these is definitely in the category of "most lifelike".  It's impossible for me to say that any one is more so than the others.

Interestingly, each of the above recordings was made by the same brilliant Swiss recording engineer, Christian Sager (http://www.sagersounds.ch/).

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2017, 12:53 pm »
I'm beginning to harbor a dislike for this andolink fellow because of the sizeable dent he CONTINUES to put in my wallet. This morning's damage alone amounted to $110! What fiendish demon be he? This sport well carried shall be chronicled.

andolink

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2017, 02:43 pm »
I'm beginning to harbor a dislike for this andolink fellow because of the sizeable dent he CONTINUES to put in my wallet. This morning's damage alone amounted to $110! What fiendish demon be he? This sport well carried shall be chronicled.

You could just ignore me as pretty much everyone else does.

By the way, I sincerely hope I haven't led you to anything you end up not liking. :(

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2017, 03:23 pm »
No Telarc, my favorite are some Melodya CDs recorded in hi speed tape, other greats are Proprius(15'' tape) SACD and some Pentatone SACDs.

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2017, 03:30 pm »
Interesting selections, andolink, thanks.

andolink

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2017, 04:32 pm »
Interesting selections, andolink, thanks.

My pleasure.  (Hold on to your wallet.)

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2017, 09:26 pm »
You could just ignore me as pretty much everyone else does.

By the way, I sincerely hope I haven't led you to anything you end up not liking. :(

Not very likely, I appreciate your comments. I ordered all of the above including the Rudolf Lutz Bach-Stiftung Bach cantata 13 even though I kept asking myself that after a complete cd set (Koopman/Gardiner combined ) plus the complete Harnoncourt Telefunken Das Alte Werk vinyl set, did I really need to start another. Apparently, yes!

To add, and hopefully continue the op's original conversation, I'll add to the mix, the following: Bach/Morimur, the Hilliard Ensemble with violinist Christopher Poppen. The entire cd is magnificent and Poppen's playing on the Ciaccona (Track 21) will take your breath away.

"In 1994, explains the booklet that accompanies Morimur, Professor Helga Thoene made the surprising discovery that the monumental "Ciaccona" from Bach's Partita in D minor for solo violin was built around various chorale themes hidden in the music. From the texts of these "secret" chorales and other symbolic musical devices, she deduced that the "Ciaccona" was an epitaph for Bach's wife, Maria Barbara. The revelation might have remained an intriguing (and touching) footnote to Bach scholarship if baroque violinist Christoph Poppen hadn't had the bright idea of taking Professor Thoene's discovery off the library shelves and placing it triumphantly in the concert hall. On this disc, his performance of all five movements of the whole Partita (BWV 1004) is interspersed with the various chorales hidden inside the "Ciaccona," sung with breathtaking precision by the Hilliard Ensemble. The double whammy comes at the end when the "Ciaccona" is performed again, this time with the singers bringing out the secret melodies. Poppen's playing is excellent, both sweet-toned and vibrant, while the Hilliards have never sounded better: the combination of the two is spine-tingling. It is as if Maria Barbara's proper epitaph has finally been realized, and a moving and wonderfully stimulating recording created in the process."

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2017, 03:21 am »
In my modest collection Peter McGrath's recording of Nicholas McGegan's Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra playing Handel's Water Music is a contender. I have two versions of this release, HMA 197010 made in W. Germany and HMU 907010 made in USA. The German issue is inferior; you want the "Production USA" issue with a cover that looks like this:

Not like this:

I have no idea why the German issue is inferior. Was it made from a copy of the master tape instead of the original? Something else?

sounddog

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2017, 12:40 am »
andolink, thanks for introducing me to Miriam Feuersinger, who is just a wonderful soprano whom neither I nor my wife (who is a classical musician) had ever heard before. Presto Classical is now several bucks richer.

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2017, 12:51 am »
What's the most lifelike classical CD you own? Which CD comes closest to sounding like real instrument or singers performing in a real concert space?

The demo disc of Auro 3D played on a 14.1 immersive sound system. 2 speakers is simply not up to the task of recreating an orchestra, no matter how big the speakers are. You can upmix any CD in auro 3D for an immersive experience.

http://www.demo-world.eu/2014/10/16/auro-3d-2014-demonstration-disc/

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2017, 01:36 am »
I think it fair to say the OP was asking about RB CDs or maybe SACD.   

« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2017, 01:49 am »
I think it fair to say the OP was asking about RB CDs or maybe SACD.
Ordinary 2-channel 16/44.1 CDs.

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2017, 03:46 am »

https://smile.amazon.com/Respighi-Ancient-Dances-Botticelli-Pictures/dp/B000001GIE

One of the best acoustic instrument recordings I've heard. Performance is great too.

rotarius

« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2017, 03:57 am »
Less eclectic than some of the others mentioned but a fantastic recording.

andolink

« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2017, 07:56 am »
andolink, thanks for introducing me to Miriam Feuersinger, who is just a wonderful soprano whom neither I nor my wife (who is a classical musician) had ever heard before. Presto Classical is now several bucks richer.

You're very welcome. 

She is amazing isn't she.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2017, 01:05 pm »
:peek:

You better hide, Russell.  $80+ for a cd???  :o  I'll swap you for a burned copy.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2017, 03:46 pm »
Any info on how is the recording and SQ in this CD?
What is Mravinsky Live! on the top?
The conductor is Aram Gharabekian.
Ukrainian Symphony on easy repertoire should be great!
Samples:
https://www.allmusic.com/album/prokofiev-tchaikovsky-romeo-juliet-mw0001838536
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2017, 05:49 pm by FullRangeMan »