New TOOLS!!!

EdRo

New TOOLS!!!
« on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:37 pm »
Awright guys. I have a confession to make. I know that we all have our issues. I don't seem to have a problem with any of the normal vices, but when I walk into a tool shop...LOOK OUT!!! And when my Bosch Colt trim router literally came apart in my hands, it was time to go to the store. I ended up with Makita! I also couldn't resist a new Makita sander that was calling my name. She was all new and whispering sweet promises of faster production times...(I said I had a problem, right?) These things are the best new purchases that I've made in recent memory!!! After 3 days of shop use, they are great!!! Anyone else have favorite tools that help them build better?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: New TOOLS!!!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2015, 02:47 pm »
I like routers and I cannot lie, those other woodworkers can't deny...to the tune of "Baby got Back".

I have at least 18, no shit, 18 routers. All flavors. I don't much like changing bits...

Sanders? Pneumatic is the cat's pajamas. Started using auto body DA stuff years ago, and then it started trickling down into woodworking as electric tools, but I still like air. Not sure but I may have started the trend...

fex02

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2015, 04:01 pm »
Pete and Ryan go to sanders anonymous!!!!!!!!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2015, 04:15 pm »
I like routers and I cannot lie, those other woodworkers can't deny...to the tune of "Baby got Back".

The fact you know the lyrics to this song put a smile on my face... :D

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2015, 04:51 pm »
Ya... I just got this(video) with some tracks. The one bad thing is you can't use the retractable track with anything that's too short, without first putting something else to back it because of the nubs on the bottom. This is only really an issue when cutting an angle. The reason it comes up is because if you want to cut without having to account for the blade size, it's important. It's not a tracksaw, not quite, I need one of those too. But this guy works great for a lot of stuff, and is capable of some finish quality. The dust extraction is surprisingly good (I use a vacuum on it).

« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2015, 09:30 pm by Folsom »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2015, 07:14 pm »
Pete and Ryan go to sanders anonymous!!!!!!!!
So much so, that Ryans neighbors put their house up for sale. No lie.   :lol:

I like that little finishing/flush trim router Ed. I've been drooling over one of those for a while now.

Bob

EdRo

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2015, 09:23 pm »
The router is 1 and a quarter hp! And the sander takes 1/3 sheets of sandpaper ando the amount of surface area that this thing rips through is amazing! I've heard pneumatic tools are great, but I don't have a big enough compressor. If I found a sander that worked better than this, I just can't imagine. I'd be destroying panels instead of finishing them! Seriously guys, check this sander out if you need one. It's better than my Porters Cable, and I loved that thing.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2015, 09:34 pm »
Ed, I'm holding out for an AC powered Mirka. Expensive, very. But I like the shape.

I've got an old sander that is the same shape but I bet your Makita doesn't cause nerve damage.

For the money Metabo's circular sander is really nice if someone needs one and isn't about to buy something like Festool.

ctsooner

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2015, 11:31 am »
Guys, I build wood furniture for a hobby.  Took it up 5 years ago (hadn't touched wood since HS and I'm 55) and love it.  Building two sets of dining room chairs with a buddy right now.  It's either audio or wood working gear for me.  We've been using nearly all Festool gear for these chairs and I can tell you that nothing is better for NOT creating dust.  The uses is easy and repeatable.  I don't know how I ever sanded before Festool, lol.  I do mostly planing and card scraping with a light finish sand on my projects, but now I'm finding myself pulling out the Festool first and then a light finish sand.  Between that and Oneida gorilla, I don't have the dust problems I've had in the past. I rarely even need the overhead dust unit to clean the air.  My lungs are worth it, lol.  I will be using the Bosch trim plunge router next week to cut some mortises in arm tops for faux tenons though, lol.  Not going to spend the Festool money on a trim router.  I just use big Bosch and PC routers in my tables too as I built my own dust collecting into the tables.