Whole lotta rain!!!

EdRo

Whole lotta rain!!!
« on: 3 Jun 2015, 01:17 am »
I hope everyone is safe and sound after all the rain. Maybe someone has used all the rain to listen to their Nimbus or Aurora even more? Whats a person listen to when " The sky is cryin"?

GentleBender

Re: Whole lotta rain!!!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2015, 02:00 am »
Either Jimi or Stevie Ray as long as there is no lightning. If the mood is right Raining Blood by Slayer.  :thumb:

EdRo

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2015, 02:46 am »
Ah yes. Slayer! One of my favorite workout albums was Panteras "Vulgar Display of Power". Gave me that extra bone breaking power on that heavy bag when the song " Respect" started. Nobody riffed like Dimebag! In my humble opinion.

WireNut

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2015, 05:19 am »
The 1st song on Black Sabbaths 1st LP.

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2015, 09:38 am »
Ah yes. Slayer! One of my favorite workout albums was Panteras "Vulgar Display of Power". Gave me that extra bone breaking power on that heavy bag when the song " Respect" started. Nobody riffed like Dimebag! In my humble opinion.
That is my one of my favorite workout albums by Pantera. Loved "This Love" and "Fūcking Hostile" the whole album made you push yourself. It alone may have been responsible for my right rotator cuff to be less than happy. That and super sets... :o

How about some Metallica Ride the Lightning?
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2015, 12:19 pm by GentleBender »

EdRo

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2015, 08:08 pm »
Anyone hear of Mudvayne? Check out Iternal Primates Forever...if you dare!!! I was checking out an OzFest, and I'd never heard of these guys. I was at the 2nd stage, and these guys came on. All I could say was W.O.W.!!!!!! :o I played bass in the heavy alternative band that I was in at the time, and Mudvaynes bassist was doing things to a bass that I didn't think a human could do!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

EdRo

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2015, 08:17 pm »
Mudvaynes "Death Blooms" is the song that the bassist lost his mind on at OzFest. He was playing soo fast that at times his arm from just below his elbow was a BLUR. You literally couldn't see his hand. Amazing. It was so crazy that I fought for 5 minutes to get up to the stage to see the guy play better. I've never seen such a technical player move so fast, with precision!

EdRo

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2015, 08:19 pm »
Could someone with a Nimbus or Aurora crank Mudvayne "Dig" for me???  :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2015, 10:53 pm »

I prefer Far Beyond Driven.  I introduced that to Pete the other day, but don't think he can handle it.  He prefers the melodic faa-laa-laa type Prog "Metal".

GentleBender

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2015, 11:57 pm »
I prefer Far Beyond Driven.  I introduced that to Pete the other day, but don't think he can handle it.  He prefers the melodic faa-laa-laa type Prog "Metal".
  :rotflmao:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2015, 01:41 am »
Ryan's right.  I tend to prefer a recognizable melody during the song rather than just constant gutteral growling.  Some good gut wrenching screams now and then as accents to the music do make sense musically.   

You'll probably laugh, but this cover of Maroon 5 "Maps" is something that I really do like.  The vocalist is awesome and the guitar work is mesmerizing.  Pay attention to the background vocalization screaming.  He really cuts loose with some great screaming at about 2:20.  Ryan wouldn't consider this "metal" because it has recognizable melody.  :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc7yfXOmP-I

EdRo

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2015, 03:03 am »
Pantera doesn't have a "recognizable" melody? WTF does that mean? You just can't hear a melody, or the melody doesn't sound like it's from a soap opera theme song that you recognize? Pete, I think you NEED some testosterone therapy! Listen to Mudvayne "Dig", over and over, until you come to your senses!!! And you have to watch the History Channel Viking series while playing Mudvayne. That'll straighten you out.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2015, 06:24 am »
Pantera doesn't have a "recognizable" melody? WTF does that mean? You just can't hear a melody, or the melody doesn't sound like it's from a soap opera theme song that you recognize? Pete, I think you NEED some testosterone therapy! Listen to Mudvayne "Dig", over and over, until you come to your senses!!! And you have to watch the History Channel Viking series while playing Mudvayne. That'll straighten you out.

That is a quote from Ryan.  He's the one that said if it has recognizable melody, it's not metal.

GentleBender

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2015, 09:43 am »

While I love metal, there are very few bands I like who's lead singers simply scream or grunt incoherently. It has to have some awesome element(s) that makes me want to listen. If I'm working out I don't mind it at all though. :D I would like to understand what they say without Googling the lyrics. Why not just do an instrumental? Like anything else enjoy what you like.
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2015, 12:11 pm by GentleBender »

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #14 on: 4 Jun 2015, 03:38 pm »

While I love metal, there are very few bands I like who's lead singers simply scream or grunt incoherently. It has to have some awesome element(s) that makes me want to listen. If I'm working out I don't mind it at all though. :D I would like to understand what they say without Googling the lyrics. Why not just do an instrumental? Like anything else enjoy what you like.

Dethklok!!!!  Now that's a band.  I love me some Metalocalypse!!!!!

Nathan Explosion, Murderface, Toki Wartooth, Skwisgar Swigelf, and Pickles . . . a band for the ages!!!!

\ooo/   :green:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #15 on: 4 Jun 2015, 03:39 pm »
This is what I was listening to yesterday that Ryan said wasn't "metal."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNWeZmthceM&list=PL-WuS2gOI_5O-TQdNL5a9AN5oAIE6M_QN

I'll let you judge.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2015, 04:46 pm »
That is a quote from Ryan.  He's the one that said if it has recognizable melody, it's not metal.

Typical selective hearing, intentional misrepresentation.  What I said was it's too melodic, different from having any sort of melody.  Most of that stuff you were listening too, that was the theme, happy dance through the meadows melodic overtone with an occasional heavier drop scattered amongst. 

Metal is easy to recognize, if it makes you want to rip someone's face off and wear it as a skin mask, it's metal.  If it makes you want to smile and pick dandelions, it's something else. 

Listen to Rust in Peace, tell me Hangar 18 and Holy Wars don't have melody.  The difference is they sure aren't happy faa-laa-laa melodies. 

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2015, 05:33 pm »
Ryan's right.  I tend to prefer a recognizable melody during the song rather than just constant gutteral growling.  Some good gut wrenching screams now and then as accents to the music do make sense musically.   

You'll probably laugh, but this cover of Maroon 5 "Maps" is something that I really do like.  The vocalist is awesome and the guitar work is mesmerizing.  Pay attention to the background vocalization screaming.  He really cuts loose with some great screaming at about 2:20.  Ryan wouldn't consider this "metal" because it has recognizable melody.  :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc7yfXOmP-I

Sweet find Pete!   :thumb:  Thanks for sharing!!

Meshuggah should check all the "Death" metal boxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc

EdRo

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2015, 07:51 pm »
Pete,  did you try to listen to Mudvaynes "Dig" yet? Let me know if you like it. GentleBender, let me know how that tune plays over the Auroras if you can!

GentleBender

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2015, 09:03 pm »
Wow 2000 seems like just yesterday. Then I watched the Mudvayne "Dig" video and it made me laugh a little, maybe a lot. Just the style of the time I suppose. I really need a DAC, but I will attempt to hook up my Mac Mini directly to the Cyclops and play it through Spotify. Les Claypool is one of my favorite bassists. But Primus SUCKS...