BMC PureDAC now available

avta

Re: BMC PureDAC now available
« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2013, 08:45 pm »
there is some info on this page:     http://www.bmc-audio.com/index.php/PureDAC-EN.html

harley52

« Reply #21 on: 23 Sep 2013, 10:27 pm »
Does anyone know where these are made? It may temper your gushing. :nono:

avta

« Reply #22 on: 23 Sep 2013, 10:43 pm »
The company's headquarters is in Germany.

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 23 Sep 2013, 10:48 pm »
As long as it is well made and not exploiting workers...

wisnon

« Reply #24 on: 24 Sep 2013, 07:27 am »
The Dac is made in China, but designed in Germany.
Seems very well made.

tdangelo

« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2013, 06:44 pm »
I have had one for about a week burning in. It sounds very nice and functions perfectly. I had an Exasound E20 but wanted a larger display for volume that I could see from my listening position - the BMC certainly has a larger display BUT I wish I could turn it off ;) A couple things I've run into is using JRiver 19 on a Win7-64 machine the ASIO driver isn't available to JRiver so I use WASAPI which works fine - supposedly this problem may be fixed at the end of October with a new driver release. Funny thing is that Foobar finds the ASIO driver fine and it works good too.. Sound wise it's very similar to the E20 but maybe a slight bit more detailed - hopefully that won't hinder long term enjoyment. I use it direct into my Carver 180 tube amps and it works as well as the E20 with no bit decimation and plenty of dynamics.

Tony

santacore

« Reply #26 on: 9 Oct 2013, 09:08 pm »
Thanks for the update Tony! I would love to hear more about how it compares to your Exasound.

Have you used it as a preamp? How does it compare to what you had in previously? What connections are you using from source and to amp?

John

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #27 on: 9 Oct 2013, 09:13 pm »
Thanks for the update Tony! I would love to hear more about how it compares to your Exasound.

Have you used it as a preamp? How does it compare to what you had in previously? What connections are you using from source and to amp?

John

What he said. 

I am leaning towards the Auric Vega, but this does look very intriguing.

George

santacore

« Reply #28 on: 9 Oct 2013, 09:19 pm »
George, I have the Vega in house and it sounds even better then the Lynx Hilo I own.

The BMC sure looks tasty for the price.

PeteG

« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct 2013, 12:35 am »
George, I have the Vega in house and it sounds even better then the Lynx Hilo I own.

The BMC sure looks tasty for the price.

The price does make it appealing, will one be at RMAF.

tdangelo

« Reply #30 on: 10 Oct 2013, 07:49 pm »

John
hi John, I think it's still burning in because it's still changing it's sound daily, or maybe its just me ;) I have only used it as a PRE as I did the Exa. With the Exa I tried a couple highly regarded preamps and it sounded worse to me. I had the Mytek 192 before the Exa and it didn't sound good as a pre - I had the AMR integrated amps at the time so I used them for volume. I have different amps now(Carver 180) and they work perfectly with the BMC as did the Exa direct (also to the Pass 100.5 amps)- no loss of dynamics or loss of resolution at lower volume. I use RCA out to the Carver since they only accept RCA and balanced to my speakers which have the Hypex DS8 plate amps for the woofers. So far to compare, the Exa is a little more laid back and the BMC a little more resolved - they are pretty similar but I would say the BMC is a little more exciting with a little better PRAT. It will take me more time to think about the perceived differences.

santacore

« Reply #31 on: 11 Oct 2013, 03:15 am »
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

My Hilo sounded better running through my Audio Research preamp, but the Aurelic Vega sounds better going directly to my NCore's, both running balanced. Interesting stuff!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #32 on: 11 Oct 2013, 03:34 am »

My Hilo sounded better running through my Audio Research preamp, but the Aurelic Vega sounds better going directly to my NCore's, both running balanced. Interesting stuff!

Very interesting.

I have Ncore amps and an Atma-Sphere MP-3 preamp.

George

tdangelo

« Reply #33 on: 11 Oct 2013, 01:24 pm »

hmm. Interesting - I was thinking about the Vega too but read that it drops bits when using the volume at less than 100% - has that changed?

I got a couple song samples from BMC of 24-352 DXD and my goodness does it sound sweet! The free 2L DXD samples have lots of hiss for some reason - Carlos from BMC said they had transcoding errors that mess with the ESS chip.

thanks

Big Red Machine

« Reply #34 on: 11 Oct 2013, 01:33 pm »
So Tony, have you heard a Lampizator 4/4?  Maybe we could share dacs before you go selling this one off??

tdangelo

« Reply #35 on: 11 Oct 2013, 01:35 pm »
So Tony, have you heard a Lampizator 4/4?  Maybe we could share dacs before you go selling this one off??
Hi Pete, haha ;) No I haven't heard the Lamp. From what I gather the DSD version doesn't play PCM? That sounds like a bit of a hassle to me IIC.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #36 on: 11 Oct 2013, 02:50 pm »
Mine is not dsd. It is spdif and USB up to 24/192

mav52

« Reply #37 on: 11 Oct 2013, 03:35 pm »
Does anyone know where these are made? It may temper your gushing. :nono:

From what I read, all of their products are Designed in Germany and manufactured in China

"To maintain costs under strict control, only the design and head offices are based in German. All manufacturing takes place in their wholly owned Chinese factory. Headed by Carlos Candeias the firm has sufficient multi-cultural and cosmopolitan backgrounds to efficiently manage all sides of their global business model."  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bmc3/1.html

This DAC looks really promising and the price ain't bad either and from what i read over at Head-fi, George from BMC notes the DAC used is a Sabre 9016 DAC

tdangelo

« Reply #38 on: 11 Oct 2013, 05:08 pm »
I was skeptical about how good the quality could be but I'm really impressed - the unit has a luxurious feel and operation is all I could want. The volume responds quickly and the unit is dead quiet NO noise through the tweeters. I don't know how they do it at the retail price.

jackman

« Reply #39 on: 11 Oct 2013, 05:28 pm »
I was skeptical about how good the quality could be but I'm really impressed - the unit has a luxurious feel and operation is all I could want. The volume responds quickly and the unit is dead quiet NO noise through the tweeters. I don't know how they do it at the retail price.

Any comparisons to the Mytek and Exasound?  I'm interested in the BMC and the price is right.  Thanks!