Hypex NCore question and answers

firedog

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #620 on: 30 Mar 2013, 01:53 pm »
Ran into an amp builder/upgrader who has looked at the NCore and the SMPS for it. He claims the PS is nothing special and he could put together a MUCH better PS based on good quality off the shelf parts, including Teddy Pardo regulators.

I have no knowledge of these things, what do you guys think?

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #621 on: 30 Mar 2013, 02:07 pm »
Ran into an amp builder/upgrader who has looked at the NCore and the SMPS for it. He claims the PS is nothing special and he could put together a MUCH better PS based on good quality off the shelf parts, including Teddy Pardo regulators.

Anybody can claim pretty much anything. The Teddy Pardo regulators are linear regulators for reasonably low-power devices such as preamps and DACs.

I suggest you tell him to go ahead and put together his own PS, and ask him to publish ABX results against the smps600.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #622 on: 30 Mar 2013, 04:00 pm »

I'm quite sure with proper training and the right vehicle, Fred Flintstone could give the current reigning GP Champion fits around a GP circuit...or as Madonna once said several decades ago on SNL before she moved to GB and learned a horrible fake British accent: "Maybe monkeys will fly out my butt."

Possibly the "amp builder/upgrader" to which you refer may know less than he implies.

To owners of properly built NC400: Is NC400 image placement the best you've heard?  If yes, quantify the margin of superiority.  My answer: yes.  I can't quantify the margin because no direct A-B.  For me, closest competitors are AKSA Naksa 100, Atma Sphere OTL, Linn Majik (Chakra, which is IC version of Quad's Current Dumping circuit from the 60s-70s). 

Julf

« Reply #623 on: 30 Mar 2013, 09:22 pm »
To owners of properly built NC400: Is NC400 image placement the best you've heard?  If yes, quantify the margin of superiority.

5.7 :)

Rclark

« Reply #624 on: 30 Mar 2013, 09:42 pm »
Imaging is rock solid and maintains no matter the distance from speakers or seat position. I haven't heard those amps listed but good to know these amps sit at that level.

medium jim

« Reply #625 on: 30 Mar 2013, 10:07 pm »
I'm quite sure with proper training and the right vehicle, Fred Flintstone could give the current reigning GP Champion fits around a GP circuit...or as Madonna once said several decades ago on SNL before she moved to GB and learned a horrible fake British accent: "Maybe monkeys will fly out my butt."

Possibly the "amp builder/upgrader" to which you refer may know less than he implies.

To owners of properly built NC400: Is NC400 image placement the best you've heard?  If yes, quantify the margin of superiority.  My answer: yes.  I can't quantify the margin because no direct A-B.  For me, closest competitors are AKSA Naksa 100, Atma Sphere OTL, Linn Majik (Chakra, which is IC version of Quad's Current Dumping circuit from the 60s-70s).

Again, how much do you charge to build a pair of Ncore 400's?

Jim

Bubbleboy76

Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #626 on: 5 Apr 2013, 07:07 pm »
Looking through this thread again, I note that very few builds are using the recomended grounding-scheme from Hypex. Almost everyone is connecting IEC-ground to chassis.
My build is done in that way as well. Some day I will disconnect the IEC-ground and see what happens.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Re: Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #627 on: 5 Apr 2013, 08:26 pm »
Looking through this thread again, I note that very few builds are using the recomended grounding-scheme from Hypex. Almost everyone is connecting IEC-ground to chassis.
My build is done in that way as well. Some day I will disconnect the IEC-ground and see what happens.

Please do try it asap and post results.   :thumb:

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
« Reply #628 on: 5 Apr 2013, 08:50 pm »
This looks like something i could do :)

Just have to think of cool case to make.....  :D

Do you order the modules and PS's direct or is there another way?

Matt

sfox7076

« Reply #629 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:04 pm »
Matt,

You have to order direct from Hypex.  It sure looks like something you could do based on your other work.  They would look awesome I am sure.  My cases are ho hum, but for DIY, not bad (for a lawyer anyway).  Yours would be amazing.

Shawn

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #630 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:05 pm »
Can you use a single ended input on these 400 modules?

Matt

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #631 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:07 pm »
Hypex is the only source for Hypex.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #632 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:09 pm »
Matt,

You have to order direct from Hypex.  It sure looks like something you could do based on your other work.  They would look awesome I am sure.  My cases are ho hum, but for DIY, not bad (for a lawyer anyway).  Yours would be amazing.

Shawn

Thanks for the reply Shawn!

I thought about doing these last year but never got into it. Really want to give it a go.

I've made a Class D Audio SDS-224 amp and made a few B&O ice 125w amps before that. They run really cool and sound great, i am sure these will be just as good or better.

Hmmm maybe 1/2" or 1" thick plate, what to use  :D

Matt

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #633 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:12 pm »
Hypex is the only source for Hypex.

SiliconRay in China sells two precut Ncore chassis, one mono block smps600, one for stereo or bridged single ps (2x amps + 1x smps1200 ps) or dual mono stereo or bridged dual ps (2x amps + 2x smps400).  1200 ps has 400W higher capacity vs. two 400s.

Unless you're a wizard with metal or wood precut chassis seem like the only way to go.

I'd make my own case.

A case i've made for my phono amp (MM)

Matt

Don_S

« Reply #634 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:28 pm »
Matt, Really dumb post. And dangerous too.  Now everybody is going to want a case from you.  I want one and I don't even have anything to put in it.  :lol: :thumb:

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #635 on: 5 Apr 2013, 09:32 pm »
Matt, Really dumb post. And dangerous too.  Now everybody is going to want a case from you.  I want one and I don't even have anything to put in it.  :lol: :thumb:

HAHAHA  :green:

I know for sure i want to make the case as dummie proof as possible, why? Well all you need to do is drop everything in, wire this, wire that, solder a bit and bam done. Maybe i'll make a few extra cases and could sell em on here (without the modules and such).

Matt

Rclark

« Reply #636 on: 6 Apr 2013, 05:13 am »
I'd make my own case.

A case i've made for my phono amp (MM)

Matt

Are you going to finally build some? I'd love to get your impressions against your stock XPA-1's.

Julf

« Reply #637 on: 6 Apr 2013, 07:47 am »
Some day I will disconnect the IEC-ground and see what happens.

Just be aware of the safety implications.

Julf

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #639 on: 6 Apr 2013, 05:44 pm »
Just be aware of the safety implications.

I am puzzled by this.  Indeed, one would think risk increases of electrical shock if the case is not earthed. 

I presume +V wrongly/accidentally shorted to earthed chassis immediately opens the internal power supply fuse and/or opens my home's circuit breaker, hence no more +V present at chassis to ruin one's day by fire and/or shock. 

I was surprised to read Bruno's instructions that unearthed chassis meets electrical wiring code.  I ignored his advice to not earth the chassis.  I earthed chassis of all eight NC400 I built.   

I presume Ncore would not contaminate other components in reasonable proximity, but I also suspect external sources could contaminate Ncore, and that earthed chassis minimizes contamination in both directions. 

Possibly, Bruno clearly knows every potential current flow fault, and NC400 and all Hypex power supplies would instantly sense such fault (including +V to chassis) and immediately default to error mode, opening (stopping) the mains current flow.  BTW, the protection I describe above may be lacking with non-Hypex power supply.   

But this still does not address the potential of outside sources degrading and/or contaminating Ncore, and potential for earthed chassis to minimize such. 

If unearthed chassis only improves audio performance with absolutely no increased risk of danger and no increased risk of contamination either direction, then there is every reason to follow Bruno's advice.  To the same degree I suspect the first item is true I suspect the last two are not.