Buffering Delays with DSD/ISO using JRiver on HAL and Oppo 105 as DAC?

ACHiPo

I finally got my HAL M3 music server hooked up.  JRiver is decoding DSD files just fine, but about every 20 seconds the music pauses for buffering.  I've changed the pre-buffering and buffering settings with no success.  I've tried both the WASAPI and kernal Oppo drivers, with no difference.

Redbook up to 24/192 works flawlessly.

Any suggestions?

Phil A

I could be wrong but wasn't the Oppo 105 (vs. the 105D) one where you could not pass DSD via the USB - see - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_768BDP105/Oppo-BDP-105-Black.html?tp=27

Phil A

Here's what Oppo has about the 105D
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105D-Features.aspx
"USB Asynchronous DAC
By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the BDP-105D turns any computer into a high performing multi-media source by converting digital audio to analog through the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC. The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input."

If you go to just the 105 page - https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105-Features.aspx
"USB Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM"

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Congratulations on getting the used HAL MS-3.

I would have JRiver tell you how to make the software run as a memory player and set the buffer size to 2GB for DSD files.  They are huge and require very large buffers to keep the machine from stuttering.

Even though Foobar2000 does not play DSD ISO it will play DSD DFF files.  I set the buffer size to 2GB for just this reason.

This does create a load time increase for the track, but I find that much better than drops.

ACHiPo

Thanks Rich and Phil!  I'll check into increasing the buffer size.  The Oppo will definitely decode the DSD/ISO files--it's just stuttering as Rich says.

*Scotty*

Try setting your buffer to the maximum of 20 seconds, select playback from memory also under the device settings, set the buffer to the maximum of 200 milliseconds. These two settings might help with the problem.

Phil A

The Oppo will definitely decode the DSD/ISO files--it's just stuttering as Rich says.

If you are using the USB DAC input per the manual it does 24/192 PCM and not DSD

ACHiPo

If you are using the USB DAC input per the manual it does 24/192 PCM and not DSD
Hmm reading the manual.  What a concept. :duh:

Thanks.  I'll try down converting to PCM and it should work, as I can play 24/192.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
ACHiPo,
Also try 24bit/176.4KHz PCM as that is a straight downsample rate of DSD's sample rate. 

Phil A

The Oppo 105D will do DSD via the USB DAC input (that's what I said in the other thread).  I believe they don't make the 105 any longer, just the 105D.  You want to convert to 176.4 as it is an even number division to the DSD (instead of playing with more digital conversion, etc.) sample rate of 2.8224MHz.

Phil A

Rich beat me to it - was typing at the same time as his reply.

ACHiPo

Trying 176400 now and so far so good!

Ok, I've played 5 tracks from 3 iso files with no buffering issues.  I reset the buffers to the recommended settings (6 sec prebuffer and 0.5 sec buffer) and still no isssues.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! :thumb:

Thanks!

ACHiPo

Interesting update--while the mods above fixed the buffing issue for nearly all files, I've found a couple that still exhibit the same symptoms.  One is an audiophile sampler release (Red Rose?) DSD that just won't play more than a few seconds at a time.

Big Red Machine

When I had those problems with the Chord, Ted had me put JPlay into the mix and that remediated almost all issues. Now with the Bricasti I don't have any issues at all.

ACHiPo

When I had those problems with the Chord, Ted had me put JPlay into the mix and that remediated almost all issues. Now with the Bricasti I don't have any issues at all.
I'll have to research JPlay.  I'm not familiar with it.

Nick77

Wheres Ted??  :scratch: