I84 With passive speaker kit

Alex_K

I84 With passive speaker kit
« on: 1 Oct 2007, 06:00 pm »
Hello Boris

I [finally] completed my TB full range speaker project  for my I84 amp.
So far I only have 6 hours of burn-in time on them but already I can say that it seems to be a god match.

Keep you posted
Alex

Audiovista

Re: I84 With passive speaker kit
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2007, 01:37 am »
Hi Alex,

Didn't know you're into speakers too. Cool!  :thumb:

Tell me more about the speaker - vented, sealed, frequency range, efficiency....any pictures?

How does it all sound?

Ok,ok, I'll slow down now  :oops:....I just love speakers and my total lack of woodworking skills makes me even more eager to see what others do.

Boris

Alex_K

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2007, 06:41 pm »
Well

Speaker is a 3" full range driver [Tang Band] and the enclosure is based on a quarter wave transmission line project.
I do not have handy more detail specs at this time but I will post them tomorrow.

So far I am a happy camper. It seems like a very balanced sound. Sound stage was right there. One might say that this was expected as it is a full range driver  but still it was noticeable at first without spending hours on positioning the speakers. Lower frequency range was the biggest surprise for me. There is no lack of it. Note should be made that I mostly listen to jazz & classical music.

Alex

Audiovista

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2007, 10:26 pm »
So, what is your estimate of how deep the speakers can go? What are the box dimensions? Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Thanks,
Boris

p.s. is this your personal project or you are selling them?

Alex_K

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2007, 06:39 pm »
Hello

As promised below are some more detailed specs for the enclosure & Driver

Enclosure construction: quarter wave transmission line
Enclosure dimensions
Height :  33in & 3/8
Width :  5in & 5/8
Depth :  6in

Weight: 30 lb [for a par of speakers]

Speaker: Tang Band W3-593SF 3" driver

Speaker Manufacturer’s specific data
Power Handling: 12 watts RMS / 25 watts max
Impedance: 8 ohms
Speaker Frequency range: 110-20,000 Hz
SPL: 86 dB 1W/1m

Alex_K

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2007, 07:06 pm »
And the picture [took me a while to figure this one out] :)

Audiovista

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2007, 03:38 pm »
Nice job Alex  :thumb:

I'm curious about the bass performance, the i84 can go prettly low but the speaker specs state 110Hz min.... :scratch:

Have you tried different speakers?

Boris

Alex_K

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2007, 07:56 pm »
Hello

So far, just by listening, it seems that they could do better than 110Hz. Do not forget that the data is for the speaker. For sure enclosure is extending that number. I will do some measurements to see what is the actual number.

I do have plans to try another 3'' speaker that looks interesting after I do some more listening of this ones so, to answer your previous question, they will be for sale in the near future.

Alex

Audiovista

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2007, 06:26 pm »
Any ideas about the price?

Alex_K

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2007, 10:16 am »
Hello Boris

I did put some more "mileage" on my speakers this weekend & had a chance to introduce them to some of my friend. Response was very god. We used I84 / Musical Fidelity CD player combination.

What now? Well, I am eager to start building another pair of speakers so these ones will be for sale. Price? For this pair I am thinking 180-190$

Alex

Audiovista

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2007, 11:03 pm »
Hi Alex,

That's an excellent price. If you're selling as a private person you can post an ad to the TRADING POST. If you're selling as AudioLimits, then go to INDUSTRY ADS. Ads are free on AudioCircle, hopefully you'll get funds quickly to continue experimenting.

Good luck!

Boris

Alex_K

« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2007, 03:39 am »
Hello Boris

Speakers sold in 1.3 days for asking price [180$]. Thank you I84. Now I can go & manufacture my next project.

Yes it is a TB 3' project based again.  Anyone with a better suggestion is welcomed to comment

Later
Alex

Audiovista

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2007, 11:14 am »
Alex,

Keep us posted!