Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

Sparky14

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #700 on: 20 Mar 2014, 03:24 am »
Refresh the screen maybe, for me, that page also says the monitors are sold out again.  My monitors just arrived today!  :green:  Haven't had time to open the box yet.

dvzzz

« Reply #701 on: 20 Mar 2014, 05:28 am »
Refresh the screen maybe, for me, that page also says the monitors are sold out again.  My monitors just arrived today!  :green:  Haven't had time to open the box yet.
Hope to hear your feedback. I know they are excellent with full mod, light mod is just not flat enough I take it. Since monitors are for my main room 2-channel stereo listening, I prefer full mod to only cap/vifa one. Was so happy to see good speakers for my budget and looks like floorstanders will replace monitors permanently. I wonder if I can ship 22s to Dennis to get full mod? 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #702 on: 20 Mar 2014, 02:04 pm »
This is entirely a guess, but Dennis has expressed two things on these pages.  One, he doesn't make any money on modding the 22's, in fact he may lose a little bit because he doesn't figure shipping correctly and values his time way too low for the project.  And two, because of One, he doesn't want any more orders on the 22's.  He's a great guy and may relent if a few more orders are placed, who knows, it's how much can he put up with.

I would hope that he would do two things.  One, price the 52 mod high enough that he makes money on them, and two, raise the price of the modded 22's so he can afford to keep doing the modification.  All of the above in both paragraphs are entirely supposition and conjecture, all subject to what Dennis wants to do.

dvzzz

« Reply #703 on: 20 Mar 2014, 03:20 pm »
I can see that Dennis was not making money on 22s. My tough luck was that the day I emailed him for order Affordable Monitors his main page was saying 22s are still available and next day that page has changed to out of stock for 22s.
52s will be fine speakers for the money, I am sure, first reports are confirming that, but for my stereo listening I prefer monitors by a large margin. For HT floostanders are perfect, no doubt.

WaldenPond

« Reply #704 on: 20 Mar 2014, 09:45 pm »
Hi, All.

New to the thread, but hope to clarify.

I just bought a pair of Dennis's modded '22s and they are en route via FedEx as of 3/19/14.

Here is the trajectory according to an email from Dennis last Sunday evening (I am assuming that he is OK with my posting. My intention, at least, is to help him. If not, sorry, amigo, 30 lashes for me. His communication is great, BTW with a great sense of humor.)
- - - - -
Hi Ken  I'm taking orders again on the 22's.   Turnaround time would be something like one week.  The mod for the 52 is finalized.  My plan is to sell out of my current supply of stock 22's, and then discontinue them in favor of the floor stander.  However, the 52's will probably cost twice as much as the 22's, and I probably won't be able to start on those for another month, depending on how quickly I sell the 22's.    Cheers, Dennis
- - - - -

Please note that it looks like this is likely the last run of 22's in favor of the 52's in case you are waiting / hesitating.

Hope that helps.

Ken

dvzzz

« Reply #705 on: 21 Mar 2014, 04:05 pm »
Thanks for the update. I am sensing this is the case. I am just surprised that I sent Dennis emails from 2 of my email accounts thinking maybe his Spam filters are blocking my domain but have not heard back. At least I would like to hear back and see if I can send a pair of 22s to him and get them upgraded with me paying for all costs and the upgrade as well.

Sorry to hear that fully modded 22s are discontinued, was really hoping to get them for my 2-channel setup.

Hi, All.

New to the thread, but hope to clarify.

I just bought a pair of Dennis's modded '22s and they are en route via FedEx as of 3/19/14.

Here is the trajectory according to an email from Dennis last Sunday evening (I am assuming that he is OK with my posting. My intention, at least, is to help him. If not, sorry, amigo, 30 lashes for me. His communication is great, BTW with a great sense of humor.)
- - - - -
Hi Ken  I'm taking orders again on the 22's.   Turnaround time would be something like one week.  The mod for the 52 is finalized.  My plan is to sell out of my current supply of stock 22's, and then discontinue them in favor of the floor stander.  However, the 52's will probably cost twice as much as the 22's, and I probably won't be able to start on those for another month, depending on how quickly I sell the 22's.    Cheers, Dennis
- - - - -

Please note that it looks like this is likely the last run of 22's in favor of the 52's in case you are waiting / hesitating.

Hope that helps.

Ken

WaldenPond

« Reply #706 on: 21 Mar 2014, 05:04 pm »
Hi, All.

I should have added to my previous 3/20 note that Dennis will continue to modify the Center Channel speaker per his email to me.

Cheers,

Ken

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #707 on: 21 Mar 2014, 11:57 pm »
Thanks for the update. I am sensing this is the case. I am just surprised that I sent Dennis emails from 2 of my email accounts thinking maybe his Spam filters are blocking my domain but have not heard back. At least I would like to hear back and see if I can send a pair of 22s to him and get them upgraded with me paying for all costs and the upgrade as well.

Sorry to hear that fully modded 22s are discontinued, was really hoping to get them for my 2-channel setup.

Hi dvzzz     I'm not aware of any emails that I haven't answered.  I've crosschecked with my sent file, and there's a match for everyone received, so I don't know what the issue is.  I just can't keep up with orders for the 22's--I got 7 new pairs of stock 22's  in on Monday, and they were gone the next day. 
I'm going to give the 52's a try, since I think the relative improvement is greater, and I suspect the demand will be more manageable.  I still have to work out pricing. 

dvzzz

« Reply #708 on: 22 Mar 2014, 12:09 am »
Thank you for your response. I just tried PM to make sure it goes through. Hope it reached you.

Hi dvzzz     I'm not aware of any emails that I haven't answered.  I've crosschecked with my sent file, and there's a match for everyone received, so I don't know what the issue is.  I just can't keep up with orders for the 22's--I got 7 new pairs of stock 22's  in on Monday, and they were gone the next day. 
I'm going to give the 52's a try, since I think the relative improvement is greater, and I suspect the demand will be more manageable.  I still have to work out pricing.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #709 on: 22 Mar 2014, 12:39 am »
Affordable Accuracy Towers is a great name for your version of the Pioneer 52s, Dennis.

If I simple fire them up first thing in the morning when going into the sound lab and forget about turning on my "big" speakers (Philharmonic Threes and Salk HT3s) I can forget about them and just enjoy the music with the little towers.

Meanwhile, my B&W801s  are languishing in the back room.  For sale, $2000 for the pair, in great condition but no shipping cartons.

Keep up the great work, Dennis.

Frank Van Alstine

Sparky14

« Reply #710 on: 22 Mar 2014, 03:02 pm »
I finally got the wife and kids out of the house for a bit last night, so I got to test out Dennis' modded 22s against (1) the original 41s, and (2) Selah S6.

The 22s are much closer to the S6 than the 41s. The 41s sounded lifeless compared to the 22s. The S6s had more detail and imaging. The modded 22s were very smooth and easy to listen to. I've spent more time with headphones, and I would tend to call the 22s a Sennheiser HD580 type of speaker, a bit laid back but something extremely comfortable that you could listen to for a long time without getting tired of it.

Kudos to Andrew for the 22s, and Dennis for the mods, they produced an amazing budget speaker.

afterlife2

« Reply #711 on: 22 Mar 2014, 03:17 pm »
Does the mod get rid of sibilance?

srb

« Reply #712 on: 23 Mar 2014, 04:56 pm »
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR on sale again at several vendors all with Free Shipping (USA Lower 48) as of Sunday 3/23/2014:

Amazon:  $86.99

B&H Photo:  $89.99

Newegg:  $89.99

Best Buy:  $90.99

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer also on sale
all with Free Shipping (USA Lower 48):
  Amazon:  $106.99
  B&H Photo:  $109.99
  Newegg:  $109.99
  Best Buy:  $111.99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2014, 07:59 pm by srb »

afterlife2

« Reply #713 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:14 pm »
Does the mod get rid of sibilance?

Anyone?

ltr317

« Reply #714 on: 24 Mar 2014, 08:38 pm »
Anyone?

Shhh.  Sorry, couldn't resist. 

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #715 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:41 pm »
Yes, of course Dennis Murphy's rework of the Pioneer 22 does get rid of the excess sibilance.  He does install a new tweeter and a much revised crossover.

His work on the Pioneer 52 is even more amazing, he takes this speaker from unlistenable to damn good.

Frank Van Alstine

afterlife2

« Reply #716 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:56 pm »
Yes, of course Dennis Murphy's rework of the Pioneer 22 does get rid of the excess sibilance.  He does install a new tweeter and a much revised crossover.

His work on the Pioneer 52 is even more amazing, he takes this speaker from unlistenable to damn good.

Frank Van Alstine

Thanks Frank! Hopefully we can get the prices from Dennis soon?

Brad

« Reply #717 on: 25 Mar 2014, 02:35 am »
Hopefully Dennis prices the '52 to allow himself at least minimum wage for his efforts.  :wink:

WaldenPond

« Reply #718 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:11 pm »
To Afterlife2 regarding sibilance:

In addition to the much admired & trusted AVAHifi reply:

Frank Van Alstine

Dennis was kind, considerate and thorough enough to email me the before and after frequency response graphs, before and after for my particular samples of his work. Wow!
After Dennis's work: Looks smooth & Happy, no indication of stridency or sibilance.

Before, as stock: 5 Db Suckout between 2k & 7k with a 5 dB rise starting at 10k - Screeeeech!!

My pair should arrive in the next day or two. Hearing will tell, but it sure looks like Mr. Van Alstine's comment are corroborated by the data.

Happy listening,

Ken

afterlife2

« Reply #719 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:38 pm »
Ken thanks for sharing. 8) Now I really want the mod. :thumb: The 52's sound good mostly, but the sibilance bothers me on certain songs like the new George Micheal CD Symphonica. I emailed Dennis yesterday and am anxiously waiting for a responce. This is my second pair and I remember some of the Beatles stuff had crazy sibilance on my first pair, which drowned in the storm sadly. Can't wait for your impressions Ken. Did you order the 22's or 52's?