Toe in for Omegas

CJ Paul

Toe in for Omegas
« on: 7 Mar 2006, 03:01 pm »
I am wondering what people are using for toe in for the Omegas, especially the ones with the largest drivers like the A8s and Hemptone 8s.  I think the little setup guide that came with my Hemptones recommends a LOT of toe in like having them cross in front of the listener.  I didn't try that yet but I did have them toed in to where they met AT the listener and the sweet spot was way too small.  If I moved my head six inches the sound totally collapsed to one speaker.  Maybe that would be taken care of I crossed them IN FRONT of the listener as the sound we be spreading back out by the time it reached me.  Instead though, I decreased toe in and the sound stage got a lot wider and the sweet spot became a lot larger and less finicky.  Last night I toed them in even a little less so now they are just 1-5 degrees in from pointing straight forward.  This changed the sound but I haven't decided if for the better or not yet.

So how much are you toeing in your Omegas and as I said, especially large driver Omegas?

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Toe in for Omegas
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2006, 03:45 pm »
Like you, I've been playing with toe in and placement of my A8s since I got them. Right now I've got them pointing straight ahead, 15" off the floor and angled up slightly. I've got some 24" stands on the way and plan some playing with those. Luckily its easy enough to experiment with placement of the A8s and will likely do so until I'm satisfied I've wrenched the last bit of performance out of them. I'm of the opinion that there is a perfect spot for a particular room and it takes a little work to find it. Keep experimenting and let us know what you find.

CJ Paul

Toe in for Omegas
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2006, 05:31 pm »
I feel like having them pointing too much straight forward takes something away from the stage.  It was as if the center fill was 7/8 of the amplitude of the sound coming directly from the speakers.  This of course made the speakers disappear less.  The change was not 100% negative though which is what makes it tough to decide.  Whatever I do will create some level of compromise.

onemug

Toe in for Omegas
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2006, 01:22 am »
I got my A8's about 3 months ago. Really love them. I started out with them pointing straight ahead. Less treble energy while they were breaking in.  Now they are pointing just behind my head. Make sure whatever angle you choose, that both speakers are exactly the same. You should have them the same distance from your ears to.  All the things single drivers are noted for benefit from those 2 things. On stand height, I have a pair of Skylans for my Super 3rs that are 24" tall. I thought this would be too tall. I know Louis recommends 12" or 20". I oriented the A8s on their sides, in effect lowering the stand. That was fine, but I ended up with them vertical.  Pay to experiment. These are wonderful speakers. Good luck.

CJ Paul

Toe in for Omegas
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2006, 01:54 am »
I'm also using 24" stands.

CJ Paul

Toe in for Omegas
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2006, 03:50 pm »
I toed my Omegas back in a bit.  The problem I described where I felt like there was plenty of center fill but the speakers were not disappearing as well was too great so now they are toed in a bit more.  Still not pointed right at the listener.  I think I read somewhere where an audio reviewer described toe in as 0% being pointed straight ahead and 100% being pointed right at the listener.  This always made sense to me and even allows for describing a situation where they are toed in to cross in front of the listener as 115% toe in etc.  Using that metric I think I'm at about 50% toe in.

onemug

Toe in for Omegas
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2006, 01:43 am »
CJ Paul,  How far are your speakers from the side walls?

CJ Paul

Toe in for Omegas
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2006, 02:39 am »
My speakers are 43" each from the nearest sidewall and 41" from the front wall.  This picture is before I got the Omegas but when I say nearest sidewall, the left speaker is 43" to that halfwall at the stair.  There is probably another 3' to the wall to the left of that but the baffle of the speaker is slightly in front of that stair half wall so I measured from there.

Louis O

Toe in for Omegas
« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2006, 02:22 pm »
Hi CJ Paul,

These are great recommendations and experimenting is very important.

What I do in my room that is similar to yours is very slight toe in. I have my Superhemps set up this way and the imaging is the best for me. I have tried the XRS this way too. My speakers are 3 feet from the sidewall and 3 feet from the back wall. Extreme toe in is also an option for very precise imaging. I get the widest soundstage with slight toe in. The room is pretty big and has 12-foot ceilings.

Thanks again,
Louis

CJ Paul

Toe in for Omegas
« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2006, 02:27 pm »
I need to re-take a panoramic image like that with the Omegas in place now.