This is not a sub but a SpeedTwelve

Louis O

This is not a sub but a SpeedTwelve
« on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:39 pm »
Hi All,

Here is a sneak peak at the SpeedTwelve. It is a bass enhancer and powered. Uses my latest 12" pro driver.

It is US made and will be available in 2 versions. Paramount and Studio.

Still working on the particulars such as price etc, but the units are ready.

The Paramount version styling is a preview of my Paramount lines styling. This line will be 100 percent Wide Baffle. A lot of custom pieces will be in this line and some very exclusive models that I won't make many of.

The SpeedTwelve driver is fitted flush mount and not surface mount. Also I have them made very clean with no front mount gaskets of any kind. The basket is cast aluminum and has one of the lightest fiber cones that is available. Treated fabric surround and this is a 96 dB conservatively rated driver.

Paramount pictures first.

Studio

Thanks,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: This is not a sub but a SpeedTwelve
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:51 pm »
Cool! What's the frequency range covered by the Speed12? Do they have high pass x-overs? Designed to be used with Omega single drivers specifically? What amp is powering it?

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:56 pm »
Hi DaveC113,

Thanks and it goes down to 30Hz and limited to 160Hz. 4th Order active cross over variable and no High Pass on this one. It can be used with many speakers.

The amp is an AB 250 watt with custom EQ. The SpeedTwelve is dual mode sealed or vented.

Thanks,
Louis

beowulf

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2014, 07:57 am »
Hi Louis, just a few questions:

1. Other than the looks ~ what are the differences between the Paramount and Studio versions? 

2. What are the dimensions?

3. Is there a rule of thumb for placement or can this be placed in different locations within a room like a sub and do we place these specifically?

Thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2014, 10:38 am »
I take it that it is a 'fast' bass enhancer, designed with music (versus home theater) in mind.

How does the specifications/sound change when used sealed versus ported?

How does this product fit in with your sub(s)?

Any interest in developing a 'DoubleSpeedEight' with opposing/in-phase (even faster) 8 inch woofers (similar to the Epic subs) that could be sized to serve as speaker stands for the RS5 series like is available for the Hoyt-Bedfords?

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:00 am »
I take it that it is a 'fast' bass enhancer, designed with music (versus home theater) in mind.

How does the specifications/sound change when used sealed versus ported?

How does this product fit in with your sub(s)?

Any interest in developing a 'DoubleSpeedEight' with opposing/in-phase (even faster) 8 inch woofers (similar to the Epic subs) that could be sized to serve as speaker stands for the RS5 series like is available for the Hoyt-Bedfords?
Hi JLM and all Audio Circle members.
I am sure that a knowledgeble audio person like you,
knows that Epic was going out of business,
that what I saw on their website.
Just wanted top let you know, in case...

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:05 am »
Hi (Again) JLM and all Audio Circle members.
Please, can you give me a link that shows what a DoubleSpeedEight' with opposing/in-phase look like.
I want to learn more about different types of subwoofers.
Thanks.

Guy 13

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2014, 08:14 pm »
Yes, unfortunately I also read that Epic was going out of business. 

I'm just imagining a 9 inch wide, 24 inch tall sub/speaker stand to match the Super 5 and 3T monitors with 8 inch drivers on both sides (cancelling out each other's vibrations) with a plate amp built into the back.

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2014, 11:26 pm »
Hi JLM,

Many thanks and the dual purpose loading is dependant on room and placement. I actually prefer the sealed mode in my room and with my placement.

The dual 8 is still on the list and I will build it. It will be bipole too. It's just been hectic with developing the speed 12. Took a lot of time to do.

Thanks,
Louis

beowulf

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2014, 01:09 am »
Hi Louis, just a few questions:

1. Other than the looks ~ what are the differences between the Paramount and Studio versions? 

3. Is there a rule of thumb for placement or can this be placed in different locations within a room like a sub and do we place these specifically?

Thanks

Hi, just bumping this up ... my questions got passed over ...

3. Is there a rule of thumb for placement or can this be placed in different locations within a room like a sub or do we place these specifically? (I don't have a spot in between my left and right channels to place it there ... it would have to be on the side to one of them).

4. How much would they cost in walnut veneer?

Thanks

beowulf

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2014, 01:10 am »
Hi, just bumping this up ... my questions got passed over ...

3. Is there a rule of thumb for placement or can this be placed in different locations within a room like a sub or do we place these specifically? (I don't have a spot in between my left and right channels to place it there ... it would have to be on the side to one of them).

4. How much do they cost in walnut veneer?

Thanks

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2014, 11:00 pm »
Hi beowulf,

Thanks and sorry about that.

1: It's just the looks and the addition of the platform

2 : Minus spikes it's 22" high x 16" wide x 13" deep.

3: They are made to be placed in the best spot for you room so there is no rule about placing it in the middle. You can use a corner as well.

4: I have to finalize and in Walnut it would be Paramount. The studio is $1650.

Thanks,
Louis