My SACD player is packing a sad

TABARD

• TemaadAudio
My SACD player is packing a sad
« on: 22 Dec 2021, 05:01 am »
Hi, I need a replacement SACD player as my Arcam will no longer read several discs,(yes have cleaned the laser) & the tray opening is hit & miss!!
Can anyone suggest a replacement, say up to $1000, (not Sony as they are having to many warranty issues with their latest player, they are not what they used to be sadly and only the X700 is available in NZ) Would consider maybe a S/H Oppo.
All suggestions welcome, have a great Christmas

Cheers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: My SACD player is packing a sad
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2021, 05:29 am »
If you can find a manual top loading(no drawer) player would be interesting.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2021, 08:02 am »
Used Oppo, they still have a service department going and their prices are reasonable.

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2021, 11:44 am »
I agree Oppo is a good candidate and...

Accessories4less (which I have used with great success) has a nice Yamaha Unit for consideration.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamcds1000bl-rb/yamaha-cd-s1000-natural-sound-super-audio-cd-player/1.html

aln

Marantz
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2021, 12:36 pm »
Buy a new Marantz-get a warranty and a great sounding player.  Why buy a used item?

Craig B

Re: Marantz
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2021, 03:19 pm »
Buy a new Marantz-get a warranty and a great sounding player.  Why buy a used item?

I don't know what Marantz models are or aren't available in NZ, or what prices are like there, but his stated budget was $1000, presumably in NZ currency. That's $680 US as of today. Marantz SACD players start at $3k US.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2021, 04:24 pm by Craig B »

decal

Re: Marantz
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2021, 03:54 pm »

I agree. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2021, 04:24 pm »
The original poster is in NZ.  Accessories4less only has one item in the budget range and almost all of their stuff is marked "*Sold exclusively within the US only. No shipments allowed outside the US!"  The Yamaha noted above is only sold in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico by accessories4less.  There is no new Marantz SACD (that I could find) in NZ for under $6k or 6 times what the original poster indicated his budget was.

This may be a good resource to watch for used player - https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=marantz     or    https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=oppo     As can be noted in the first link there is a Marantz DV9500 universal player listed.  I've own a DV9600 in the past which was decent.  One can also search for Yamaha or any of the other suggestions made in the thread.

If other than disc playback is a consideration (SACDs can be ripped to DSD files), a music server can be had for less money (e.g. a PC based music server and hard drives, including back-up ones) and there are various programs than can play DSD files. 

aln

Marantz 6007 - 799.
« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2021, 04:12 pm »
No they do not cost 3,000

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2021, 04:43 pm »
The cheapest Marantz player which can play SACDs listed on the current Marantz USA page is $2,999.00 list price - https://www.marantz.com/en-us/category/cd-players   There are factory refurbs available for a bit less - e.g. https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/disc-player?#/+/0/score/desc/?tab=products&manufacturer_na_str=Marantz

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2021, 05:12 pm »
That's one zero added to the purchase price of my Oppo 103.

I didn't realize he was in New Zealand, my comment about authorized repairs was for the US.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2021, 05:13 pm »
Arcam will no longer read several discs

You didn't mention the model number. Ali Express has lens replacements for many Arcam models, $16 - $30.
Once I fixed a sticky drawer with a cleaning, look for a rubber belt, the mechanism is really cool engineering.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20211223090305&origin=y&SearchText=Laser+Lens+Replacement+For+ARCAM+

ARCAM HIGH END CD PLAYER, DRIVE BELT REPAIR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arPXW2p8ayY

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2021, 06:17 pm »
That's one zero added to the purchase price of my Oppo 103.

I didn't realize he was in New Zealand, my comment about authorized repairs was for the US.

Oppo has been great about repairs for several years after announcing no new players.  I wish everyone had the service they offer (I sent my Modwright solid state modded BDP-83 for a sticky drawer issue a couple of years aback and since it was a known issue, I just paid for shipping one way - the player basically sits in my main system if someone brings a disc over to play and SACDs are outputted at 24/88.2 and it is connected to my DAC).  I have an integrated amp in for repair (which should be a minor cost in actual parts costs) which is made in the far east (and in accordance with the no dirty laundry policy the company will not be named) and it has been a fiasco and by the time I get it back it will be over 3 months (which Oppo would have turned around in a week, give or take) since I contacted them and will not be all that cheap with everything considered (I think the actual cost of the part is $17 and by the time everything is done it's likely going to cost around $227 to repair).  It's not that the unit sounds bad or is a bad value vs. other available things, it's just inadequate service planning (I think the cost to ship the part to the US is $60 and it likely is something relatively common).  I was going to consider one of their DACs for a secondary system (and wouldn't consider anything they offer due to their inadequate service) but ended up with a great deal on a used Teac UD-503 (I used to have a UD-501 in that same secondary system).

The point is that service availability should be considered on purchases made.  One of the main reasons I finally abandoned disc playback is the fact that electro-mechanical devices with moving parts will eventually have a problem.  Often the drive mechanism comes from a third party (vs. the manufacturer) and is only supported a limited amount of time.  I've owned some fairly expensive (from my point of view) disc spinners in the past.  Some have had issues and while I loved physical media, I finally abandoned it.  My discs sit in a closet underneath the steps in my upstairs bonus room.  I try to buy downloads where possible and a couple of months back I bought storage boxes (https://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Store-Storage-Boxes-Black-SNS01617/dp/B00063E2FU/ref=sxts_rp_s_a1_0?crid=1QJEHKHOVLWRW&cv_ct_cx=cd+storage+box&keywords=cd+storage+box&pd_rd_i=B00063E2FU&pd_rd_r=6e417f49-c95c-4efa-bcb7-9984d3c99e21&pd_rd_w=2jzGF&pd_rd_wg=xbmgI&pf_rd_p=417cc47b-0c09-4851-92d2-3088b503e056&pf_rd_r=ZQPT1M5H8SD6C3ZWTNC9&psc=1&qid=1640283293&sprefix=cd+st%2Caps%2C107&sr=1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e) just so I have a bit more space in my cabinets inside that closet.

Craig B

Re: Marantz 6007 - 799.
« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2021, 06:37 pm »
No they do not cost 3,000

Yes, they do cost $3,000. Marantz makes CD players for less than that, but no SACD players currently, which is what the OP is asking for. Those all start at $3k US and go up quickly from there.

lazydays

« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2021, 07:44 pm »
you couldn't sell me anything with the name Marantz on it!!!! There are some SACD players still being built right now. Denon has one, and think Onkyo / Integra still does one. Maybe Pioneer as well. I have two Integras and they play very well. Yamaha might still do one as well. I also have a Yamaha, but just don't like it. Quality is there Unlike Marantz), but the sound just seems to lack presence. I'm going to give it another shot sometime next, but doubt cables or anything else is going get the job done.

I like the sound of the Sony, but the good ones lack spare parts for the stupid stuff. I think the hot ticket is to find a gently used SCD-1 (top loading). Last time I looked the Denon can be had for $1200 new.
gary

walkern

« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2021, 07:52 pm »
Cambridge Audio and Lexicon used to use Oppo players as a 'base' for their SACD players.  Not sure if they are (or were) available in NZ, but might be worth a look on the used market.

aln

Do some research
« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2021, 08:32 pm »
Marantz 6007 is a cd and SACD player.  The point is there are sacd below 1,000 dollars new.

aln

« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2021, 08:43 pm »
Sorry - I was wrong on the 6007.  The copy I read said it can play a cd/sacd disc.  It is cd only.

Craig B

« Reply #18 on: 23 Dec 2021, 11:14 pm »
Every piece of Sony gear I’ve ever owned has failed prematurely with the exception of one minidisc deck. I’ve had several Denon disc players over the years and each of them have failed, too. The Denons did sound great when they worked, but both died. I haven’t had that happen with either of the two Marantz players I’ve owned. The SACD 30n in particular is a seriously heavy duty piece of gear, and a substantial improvement over the SA8005 it replaced in my system. And yes, Yamaha still makes SACD players, but I’ve never owned one and can’t comment on their build or sound quality.

lazydays

« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2021, 10:59 pm »
Every piece of Sony gear I’ve ever owned has failed prematurely with the exception of one minidisc deck. I’ve had several Denon disc players over the years and each of them have failed, too. The Denons did sound great when they worked, but both died. I haven’t had that happen with either of the two Marantz players I’ve owned. The SACD 30n in particular is a seriously heavy duty piece of gear, and a substantial improvement over the SA8005 it replaced in my system. And yes, Yamaha still makes SACD players, but I’ve never owned one and can’t comment on their build or sound quality.

I bought a Marantz on advice from Stereophile. Redbook discs were ok, but nothing to brag about. SACD was pretty good. Almost exactly a month before the warranty ran out it quit reading discs. I sent it to the Marantz place in Chicago. They fixed good enough to last six weeks! It seemed to be a combo of several things and can't be fixed. The first is the software, and then the laser assembly is cheap junk. I finally dumped it off at Goodwill. The next Marantz piece of junk was a tuner. They refused to fix it on warranty! It went to the dumpster. I keep wanting to see them go belly up (I'm not the only one). All the while, my Jolida just keeps going and going. The tray sounds like a threshing machine when loading. Been retubed twice, and that's about it. I rate Marantz about the same as getting an upper GI!!
gary