Sound quality: USB vs. optical vs. coaxial

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Sound quality: USB vs. optical vs. coaxial
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2018, 03:33 am »
Coax interface was made to use 75 ohms cable, some years ago some cables on the market was not true 75 ohms.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2018, 04:14 am »
TOSLINK should have audible inferiority to coax because (a) TOSLINK imposes another layer of dual signal conversion (converting electrical to optical S/PDIF at the transmitter then converting optical back to electrical at the receiver and (b) the majority of optical interfaces measure significantly (and in some cases massively) higher jitter.

Subjectively listening without measurements revealed to me that coax sounded better than optical in every component I tried, except for one inexpensive DVD player where I couldn't detect any difference.

If noise is present in a coax S/PDIF connection, then TOSLINK will obviously be superior, but noise is somewhat rare with a decent quality component and coax S/PDIF cable.  Otherwise coax sounds clearer and more focused to me than TOSLINK.

Thanks for the point. I should’ve  said “in theory”, and I was paraphrasing what McGowan had said. I’m not going to argue as it’s like talking about elections. You’re voting for bad #1 or bad # 2. But Toslink indeed seems to finish dead last amongst the three...

Just to be clear, I’ve never listened to Toslink critically nor do I plan on it. I’m frankly surprised that it continues to be offered in manufacturers products as it is bandwidth limited.

Unfortunately, it appears that Toslink, SPDIF/Coax and USB all try to consolidate I2S signals into one single block for the sake of making a “single cable”, ie convenience (?!), and the attendant noise that ensues from the various conversions. With regards to USB, I feel that more resources have been thrown at that method over the years, so improvements have arrived. But we still have to resort to microRendus, expensive USB cables,USB Disruptors/Filters/Jitterbugs and the like to achieve “acceptable” performance imho. And don’t forget the plethora of linear supplies and “supercharged” capacitor supplies that have to support these additional doohickeys.

It’s really best for us as an industry to avoid all three. I often wonder WHY I2S isn’t more universally used, it’s not like it is brand new. I mean even look at AC manufacturers. We’ve got Leo’s Orchard Audio offering the GALA (and Raspberry Pi/USB version called ApplePi) and Tommy O., offering his DAC DAC and touting all sorts of delusions of sonic grandeur. All 3 I am guessing have similar hardware/DNA, dac chip and analog output stages.

And then there is CI Audio, Bryston, Modwright, etc...

I’m not trying to single them out but perhaps they build what sells, and therefore it’s time for us to demand better? Or is it too expensive to offer native I2S and ethernet based transports + compatible dacs?

Best,
Anand.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2018, 06:46 pm »
Anybody know why a PC would cause the right side of the optical to go "static/white noise"?

It did that on a old DAC (thought it was the DAC/firmware) and did not go away. Did it on a newer DAC but can be corrected.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2018, 08:00 pm by mix4fix »

Stu Pitt

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2018, 10:15 pm »
Anybody know why a PC would cause the right side of the optical to go "static/white noise"?

It did that on a old DAC (thought it was the DAC/firmware) and did not go away. Did it on a newer DAC but can be corrected.
I don’t think that has anything to do with optical. It’s either the transport or the DAC itself. If it doesn’t happen on a different DAC, it’s the old DAC. If it happens on both DACs, it’s the transport. Something’s amiss, and it’s not because of the cable or format itself.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2018, 10:18 pm »
I don’t think that has anything to do with optical. It’s either the transport or the DAC itself. If it doesn’t happen on a different DAC, it’s the old DAC. If it happens on both DACs, it’s the transport. Something’s amiss, and it’s not because of the cable or format itself.

It's an Asus motherboard, not a transport.

A_shah

« Reply #25 on: 12 Nov 2018, 08:49 am »
I use a Lifatec glass cable from my TV Toslink to my OPPO 205 in addition to HDMI from my Oppo 205 to Directstream DAC as per Paul Macgown suggestion 75 OHM Coax to the Directstream DAC for two channel Listening , I did once try the DirectStream DAC with I2S with a Heed player and SACD Disc "ONE" from PS audio definitely to my ears it did sound better
I think if one is not doing critical listening or HI-Res listening I dont find much of difference between the glass Toslink and a Coax cable , over a short distance , :scratch: just my take on this.
Asghar

bacobits1

« Reply #26 on: 12 Nov 2018, 09:52 am »
I have the Lifatec 1meter here and it's pretty close to the WiWire coax connection or bnc I use from a CXC trans .
 Most coax are not 75 ohm. The Wiwire Litspeed is not even a coax construction and is the best I have heard. How can it be 75 ohm, it's not. Must be within spec no problems ever. The Yggdrasil I have would tell me if there was.

Freo-1

« Reply #27 on: 12 Nov 2018, 01:00 pm »
Thanks for the point. I should’ve  said “in theory”, and I was paraphrasing what McGowan had said. I’m not going to argue as it’s like talking about elections. You’re voting for bad #1 or bad # 2. But Toslink indeed seems to finish dead last amongst the three...

Just to be clear, I’ve never listened to Toslink critically nor do I plan on it. I’m frankly surprised that it continues to be offered in manufacturers products as it is bandwidth limited.

Unfortunately, it appears that Toslink, SPDIF/Coax and USB all try to consolidate I2S signals into one single block for the sake of making a “single cable”, ie convenience (?!), and the attendant noise that ensues from the various conversions. With regards to USB, I feel that more resources have been thrown at that method over the years, so improvements have arrived. But we still have to resort to microRendus, expensive USB cables,USB Disruptors/Filters/Jitterbugs and the like to achieve “acceptable” performance imho. And don’t forget the plethora of linear supplies and “supercharged” capacitor supplies that have to support these additional doohickeys.

It’s really best for us as an industry to avoid all three. I often wonder WHY I2S isn’t more universally used, it’s not like it is brand new. I mean even look at AC manufacturers. We’ve got Leo’s Orchard Audio offering the GALA (and Raspberry Pi/USB version called ApplePi) and Tommy O., offering his DAC DAC and touting all sorts of delusions of sonic grandeur. All 3 I am guessing have similar hardware/DNA, dac chip and analog output stages.

And then there is CI Audio, Bryston, Modwright, etc...

I’m not trying to single them out but perhaps they build what sells, and therefore it’s time for us to demand better? Or is it too expensive to offer native I2S and ethernet based transports + compatible dacs?

Best,
Anand.

I'll add support to this.  The DIN connection with McIntosh Transports to the DAC sounds significantly improved over both Coax or Toslink.  SACD via the DIN is MUCH better.  It's quite noticeable when one switches between the CD layer and the SACD layer for comparison. 

While I wish there were more SACD offerings overall, if Classical music is your preference, there are a LOT of SACD offerings available.  The vast majority of discs I add to the collection are SACD. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #28 on: 12 Nov 2018, 02:03 pm »
It's an Asus motherboard, not a transport.
I use “transport” as anything that’s sending the digital stream to the DAC - computer, disc spinner, streamer, etc. I think that’s the right way to use it, but I could quite possibly be wrong.

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #29 on: 12 Nov 2018, 07:55 pm »
I often wonder WHY I2S isn’t more universally used

I2S is what it name (Inter-IC Sound) implies, a protocol to connect IC's on the same board.
There is no standard for cabling, connectors, etc.
As there is no standard, you can't connect products from different manufacturers over the I2S

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 30 May 2019, 04:29 pm »
I use “transport” as anything that’s sending the digital stream to the DAC - computer, disc spinner, streamer, etc. I think that’s the right way to use it, but I could quite possibly be wrong.

I call a transport as a physical removable disk. I think of a server of any type of PC hardware.

But, could it be the combination of PC and DAC using this particular path controlled by Windows? Plays fine on USB. Plays fine on a DVD players with optical (good Denon, OPPO, and cheap Sony).

It's an old DAC, but I hate to see hardware become outdate or useless.

slash

« Reply #31 on: 30 May 2019, 08:35 pm »
usb and coaxial and also optical doesn't affect in any way the sound .. what you mean is the resolution bit of the interfaces host/controller in the electronics that manage signal the cable are able to transport .

the values , bits and resolutions , are  relatively  standard values for this type of interfaces.