What speakers did you replace?

PJam1995

Re: What speakers did you replace?
« Reply #60 on: 13 Dec 2010, 06:48 pm »
I replaced Klipsch f-3 synergy with Songtowers. Songtowers should be here tomorrow (Tue) as I have been tracking them from Michigan to North Carolina every few hours :lol:

dakulis

« Reply #61 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:49 pm »
Mark,

I don't get it.  You replaced those incredible looking speakers with Jim's HT2-TLs?  Geez, what were you thinking?  But, I'll bet you sold them on Audiogon for 10K or so so you came out ahead, right?  LOL

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #62 on: 29 Dec 2010, 08:33 pm »
I replaced Thiel CS1.6s with SoundScape 10s.

highfilter

« Reply #63 on: 29 Dec 2010, 08:48 pm »
I replaced a pair of Klipsch RB-61 bookshelf speakers with the Salk SoundScape 10s.  :thumb:  :thumb:

mark funk

« Reply #64 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:08 pm »
dakulis,

No 10K is not enough. At one time they looked like this,

I think I like my HT2-TLs a little better. The Dahlquist served my well for over 30 years and
they have been through the wars believe me.

:smoke:

Don_S

« Reply #65 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:21 pm »
Mark,

Your "after" picture of the DQ-10s broke my heart.  Mine were stolen in 1992. If they were destroyed I hope it was mercifully quick and they didn't suffer like yours did.  :bawl:

My real hope is they will come back to me along with the 1.5" solid-walnut stands I built for them with love and marked my name on the bottom.  :thankyou:

Saturn94

« Reply #66 on: 18 Feb 2011, 07:23 pm »
dakulis,

No 10K is not enough. At one time they looked like this,

I think I like my HT2-TLs a little better. The Dahlquist served my well for over 30 years and
they have been through the wars believe me.

Those Dahlquist are great speakers.  Back in the 80's I auditioned them and really liked them.  But I ended up getting a pair of ADS L1290/2's instead which I still have 24+ years later.  However, their reign may soon end as I received a pair of HT2-TLs a couple days ago. :wink:

mark funk

« Reply #67 on: 18 Feb 2011, 08:02 pm »
Stands for DQ10s. Back in the late 70s Martyo and I lived together and worked together and both had DQ10s. We had the guys in the back do a government job for us and had them make a set of stacked 10s :o. At that time Martyo had a Sun of Ampzilla, it got a little hot but sounded dam good back then.

Audioexcels

« Reply #68 on: 25 Feb 2011, 10:40 am »
First time posting in here.  It's great to see some Madisound guys have somehow made it through the world of DIY and into at least some sort of money profit business while still providing a very cheap vs. mainstream company priced product.  Kudos to you Jim and the others that have helped make this journey a great one that I hope lasts many a years to come!

I will never replace the speakers I have, but I can say a friend that has heard a LOT of speakers in home, in hi-end stores, at CES, you name it, he's had an ear there.  I have heard him speak "very little" about anything out there, but the most recent and I believe only 2nd speaker (LOL!) he mentioned to me was the current version HT3's that he very much enjoyed.  I told him ribbons have it...especially with a fine metal driver like the Seas!

So here's my .02...I'd LOVE to see a thread with the subject being, "what speakers did you replace to get A) Wife approval, B) Something to show off even a high end furniture rep, and C) To the priceless ones that would say=are those making music???  I thought they were some fine art gallery display!  Honey, come over here...these beautiful things play music!!!

Good job Jim and continue the adventure!

DeanZ

« Reply #69 on: 8 Sep 2011, 08:56 pm »
Salk HT1-TL's and Salk Veracity Center replaced Vandersteen 2C's and a Boston Acoustics Center.
After years in the hobby and moving through mid-fi JBL's and Polks and Boston Acoustics, et al, I purchased the Vandees feeling that for the first time I was really hearing audiophile quality sound and a true soundstage. I spent about 10 years happily with the Vandees and just decided it was time for a change. Started to do some research on line and fell upon positive comments about Salk products. Based upon budget level and wanting speakers that were smaller in profile than the wide faced Vandees, chose the HT1-TL's with ribbon tweeters.
From the first notes on the supplied demo disk, my jaw hit the floor. Good as the Vandees were, they for me are not even close to being in the same league as the Salks - precision of the soundstage width, depth and height, realism of strings and piano notes, top to bottom coherence, I could go on and on. I've heard lots of equipment but my system has never presented music that could pull you in emotionally until I heard the Salks. Yes indeed I have swallowed the Salk cool-aide.
System consists of:
ProJect RPM-5 with Speed Box, Ortofon 2M Black
Emotiva USP-1 and UMC-1
Panasonic BD80, Hi Def Cable, Wii, Apple TV
Sharp 70" LED LCD
Salk HT1-TL, Veracity Center with Ribbon tweeters
Def Tech Surrounds
Aperion Audio Subwoofer
Rotel 1095 5x200w amp
Morrow interconnects, Belden 10 gauge biwired

shawbros3

« Reply #70 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:45 am »
I replaced some Mirage 1090i with the Songtowers.  Everything about the sound has improved, except for the width and depth of the sound-stage.  They image very nicely and sound super accurate, but don't quite have the disappearing act like my monitors.  I feel the 'boxiness' sometimes at higher volumes.

I recently got a pair of Tekton Lores and enjoy the Songtowers more.  The Lores are pretty sweet, but not as detailed as the Songtowers.  The sound is totally different with full-range drivers, more immediate and warmer but not as much bass.  I might be putting them up for a local sale really soon.     

baxtr

« Reply #71 on: 14 Sep 2011, 02:19 am »
I replaced a pair of Onix Strata Minis with Salk HT2-TL's finished in bamboo.  Awesome upgrade.

sierrarider

« Reply #72 on: 15 Sep 2011, 03:46 am »
I've replaced a trilogy of Energy RVS mtm's in the front with the Songtower QWT's and Songcenter. Going to build my Songsurrounds myself to replace the RVSS surrounds when I can find the time. The Energy's weren't bad, just no comparison to my Salks. Plus, it was time for a change! I love my Salks...

won ton on

« Reply #73 on: 15 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm »
i replaced some martin logan aerius for salk ht2-tl's in pau ferro rosewood.as good as the logans were they don't compare to the salk's

Big Red Machine

« Reply #74 on: 15 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm »
I'm gonna have to give these here Sulk speakers a try one of these days.  A lot of folks drooling over them.... :drool:

Gzerro

« Reply #75 on: 28 Sep 2011, 09:06 pm »
I will soon be replacing B&W CM5s, B&W CMC2 Center, and some Klipsh surrounds with a Song Tower System.

My original intent was to add CM9s for mains, but decided to do a more detailed review of options before making that purchase. To be honest I didn't do a very good job of researching alternatives before purchasing the B&Ws. I also had a very bad experience with the post-sale service from the B&W dealer so I didn't really want to continue to do business with them. I still feel they are pretty good speakers, but once I started auditioning alot of other options in the price range I found them to be in the middle of the pack and over-priced relative to other options.

I chose the Salks because of the very balanced sound top to bottom, clear mid-range and open high-end. I found them to image very well and they have a transparent quality that really impressed me. I will admit the looks were an important factor as well.

Austin08

« Reply #76 on: 11 Jan 2012, 03:29 am »
I have owned quite a few high end speakers from various high end manufacturing that include Totem, Thiel, Triangle, Paradigm sig, Vienna Acoustic, Sonus Faber, Martin Logan, Wilson Audio, just to name a few. I would live peacefully with either Totem Wind or Wilson Maxx 2. Both was really excellent in music reproduction, sound stage, bass, midrange was supper. All those quality is not enough to convince my wife to let me keep them in my house because she dislike the Totem look and the Maxx is like an ugly monster in her living room. I am about to buy a used Wilson Sophia untill I came across this website. Athought, I requested an audition of the Ht3 but no body live near my house.  I decided to give Jim a call and coincidently, he is working on the new prototye soon to be name soundscape 8. The price, the features, the design is much to my wish list plus all the positive reviews on this site. I order a new pair. Wait and see how it is stacking up again other brand mention above. I can tell the future is looking very promisses now than ever.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #77 on: 11 Jan 2012, 10:14 pm »
all right ! I guess it is time for Jim to tell us something!

I have owned quite a few high end speakers from various high end manufacturing that include Totem, Thiel, Triangle, Paradigm sig, Vienna Acoustic, Sonus Faber, Martin Logan, Wilson Audio, just to name a few. I would live peacefully with either Totem Wind or Wilson Maxx 2. Both was really excellent in music reproduction, sound stage, bass, midrange was supper. All those quality is not enough to convince my wife to let me keep them in my house because she dislike the Totem look and the Maxx is like an ugly monster in her living room. I am about to buy a used Wilson Sophia untill I came across this website. Athought, I requested an audition of the Ht3 but no body live near my house.  I decided to give Jim a call and coincidently, he is working on the new prototye soon to be name soundscape 8. The price, the features, the design is much to my wish list plus all the positive reviews on this site. I order a new pair. Wait and see how it is stacking up again other brand mention above. I can tell the future is looking very promisses now than ever.

jsalk

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2012, 04:11 pm by jsalk »

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #79 on: 22 Mar 2012, 06:04 am »
I am in the process of replacing my ancient Miller & Kreisel S-150THX 5.1 system with a pair of Soundscape 12 speakers. The SS Center and M7 Surrounds are still being crafted, but it should be excellent when it's all done. The only original part left will be the Sub!

The SS12 speakers were initially driven by my trusty Pioneer Elite SC-37, but it's been relegated to Pre-Out duties due to the addition of a Wyred 4 Sound MC5 amplifier. It was pretty clear that despite having 140w @ 8 ohms the Pio was not driving the SS12 the way they deserved. The W4S MC5 is a cool running Class D beast and is the best of both worlds - high power, low standby wattage and runs cool without the need for a dedicated 20A outlet. Plus it makes the SS12s positively sing!