What amp for your Salk Speakers?

Rich5616

Re: What amp for your Salk Speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2012, 03:38 pm »
 Songtowers + Songcenter driven by AVA 240+ with double die option. No problem
 going to insane levels in my living room. I do not think I'll need another amp anytime
in the near future. Hope this helps. Richard 

Rich5616

« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2012, 03:42 pm »
Please forgive me it is an AVA 240+/3 amp with double die option. I need more coffee.

tonyptony

« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2012, 04:00 pm »
When I had HT3's, the best sounding amp on them was the BAT VK-600SE. 

Other good amps on the HT3's include:  McCormack DNA-500, Dodd 120's, CI Audio D200's, and Moscode 401HR

I can give a big +1 to the DNA-500. Heard a pair of HT3's driven by this amp and it sounded musical, open, articulate, and dynamic.

Nuance

« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2012, 04:01 pm »
What have I been telling all you guys for years!?! :flame:
I know, I know. :duh:  You were right.  Any suggestions are welcome, by the way.  I want something transparent with plenty of reserve power that will not color the sound.  I may be moving to that EE MiniMax Plus DAC, so I'll use that to flavor the sound if necessary. 

My top choices are something from AVA, the Parasound A21 and the Wyred4Sound ST500.  Thoughts anyone?  Sorry to detail the thread.  I can start my own if necessary.

dmatt

« Reply #24 on: 18 Apr 2012, 04:41 pm »
When I had my Salk HT3s set up, I used first a pair of Channel Islands Audio D-200 Mk1s with another one for the HTC (nice), then a McCormack DNA-500 (very nice), and finally a pair of ModWright KWA 150s (outstanding) -- all driven by a ModWright LS 36.5 DM. 

I think the DNA-500 is a fantastic bang for the buck amp -- wonderful sound and powerful enough to drive most anything.  You could do a lot worse than running a DNA 500 on the front channels and a McCormack DNA-HT5 powering the center and surrounds.

David

Saturn94

« Reply #25 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:07 pm »
Pre/Pro - Anthem AVM20
Amp - Parasound 5250 (380wpc @ 4ohms)
Speakers - HT2-TL

When I originally auditioned Salks, I believe Dennis was using one of the AVA solid state amps (not sure which one).

Both the Parasound and the AVA sound excellent with Salks to my ears.

PSB Guy

« Reply #26 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:22 pm »
Driving my SongBirds with an AVA Insight + control amp. I love the combination, but I'll be upgrading to one of the Synergy amps and a T8+ pre in the not too distant future.

Cornelis

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:25 pm »
I know, I know. :duh:  You were right.  Any suggestions are welcome, by the way.  I want something transparent with plenty of reserve power that will not color the sound.  I may be moving to that EE MiniMax Plus DAC, so I'll use that to flavor the sound if necessary. 

My top choices are something from AVA, the Parasound A21 and the Wyred4Sound ST500.  Thoughts anyone?  Sorry to detail the thread.  I can start my own if necessary.

If the A21 is close to the performance level of the A51, I would take it over the AVA and Wyred options.  But that is just my opinion.

George

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:30 pm »
If the A21 is close to the performance level of the A51, I would take it over the AVA and Wyred options.  But that is just my opinion.

George

Thank you, George; I appreciate the feedback.  The A21 does offer the same level of performance as the A51.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:33 pm »
Anyone want to take a stab at describing advantages of moving from solid state power amp to hybrid or tube (and relative advantages of hybrid vs. tube) when keeping a solid state pre/pro?

I have Emo UPA-1 200wpc monoblocks with Onkyo 5508 pre/pro.  I'm not currently interested in changing the pre/pro, but am tempted by some of the hybrid and tube options mentioned.

Thanks.......

peabody

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:37 pm »
I have HT3's driven by a Modwright KWA 150 with a Modwright LS 36.5 and Oppo BDP-95 with the full Modwright tube mods.  I've been very happy and never felt a need for more power, but I'm debating whether to upgrade the amp to the SE or try something different.  Anyone try Butler amps?  I previously had a TDB-5150 but I'm thinking about trying a pair of 2250's (800 watts in mono!) along with with a 3150 for my center and surrounds.  I guess another option would be a second KWA 150.

Pete

Nuance

« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:43 pm »
I can somewhat answer both questions.  I owned a Butler 2250 for a while, but ultimately I sold it because of what it did to the bass, which was gave it a sloppy, fat sound.  It wasn't the fast, quickly decaying bass I knew I preferred.  The high's were also slightly too soft for my ears, but YMMV.

mojave

« Reply #32 on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:20 pm »

I bought my Digital Amp Company Cherry Jr. from Big Red Machine (1 of two amps I've bought from him) and love it. It has 380 watts into 8 ohms. I've since added 3 Cherry monoblocks to my system. The amps have great dynamics and detail with incredible bass. Big Red Machine can probably give you some comparisons to the many amps he has owned. Digital Amp Company has a circle here, but it isn't too active.

We used my Cherry amps at the Omaha Subwoofer GTG last October. I wanted to make sure there was plenty of power for the mains/center to keep up with the subs.  This summer I plan to have Jonathan (Archaea) and a few others over to listen to my system.

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #33 on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:40 pm »
Soundscape speakers, Soundscape 12 in front (and yes, they sound stupendously great with 1140w @ 4Ω)!  :icon_lol:

Wyred4Sound MC5 (3x500w, 2x250w @ 8Ω)

Unit Features: