5/28 LAOC mtg Impressions

Jon L

« on: 29 May 2005, 11:32 pm »
A great turnout for a great event!  I don't know how Bob Levi has enough energy to do this month after month.  Looking forward to another LAOC event to be hosted by our own John Castler with VMPS RM30 x3 in August!

For me, it was a great joy being able to listen to 3 top-notch turntable setups through the same system, especially compared to the new Shanling T300 CDP.  Interesting, interesting..

It almost brought tears to my eyes when I saw Audioprism "Quietlines" passive AC conditioners plugged into wall outlets in the Brooks Berdan Ltd restroom..

The 3 table/cartridge setups ($12K-16K range) were the Avid TT with Benz Lyra, SPJ TT with SPJ cart, SME with Helikron cart.  All 3 sounded great, of course, but not quite enough to make me want to go back to TT's.  With record pops/ticks and the inability to have instantaneous access to any song in your collection (like my Audio PC), I just can't go that way..

It also helped that the Shanling T300, which looked much smaller than pictures, was not significantly embarrassed by the TT's.  I'm sure most analogue lovers will say the TT's sounded much better, and maybe they did, but I would probably say instead that TT's sounded more "analogue," but that's b/c they ARE analogue!!  This day and age, I don't believe analogue and digital inherently sound better or worse, especially after hearing the likes of Meitner and Dodson digital.  

Anywho..  The source(s)-->Hovland HP200 tube preamp-->Hovland Radia SS amp-->Wilson Maxx 2 speakers.  All IC's, speaker cables, power cords were Cardas GR (I know, I know).  

The Star of the event was Wilson Maxx 2 ($45K), and rightly so.  While I wished I could have heard the speakers with a little different system voicing/tuning, there's no denying its main virtues:  dynamic range that won't quit, resolution without driver/cabinet resonances,  and sheer sense of confidence and authority.  And unlike many previous Wilsons, Maxx 2 was even "musical."  No spotlighting of upper midrange with plenty of calories in mid/low-mids on down.  

Lots of people rave about Wilson (and Maxx) bass, but in this system, there seemed a slight lack of total control in mid-bass, which I'm sure was either the room, wires, or tubes..  

The Shanling T300 also sounded very promising as is, but it would be more informative to try it in my own system with better tubes.  Maybe some secret-stash CCa tubes instead of the stock EH6922's..

Anyway, if you've got $45K to spend right NOW on speakers and don't wanna spend a penny Less, Wilson Maxx 2 certainly should be on your short list.

Hajime Sato

« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2005, 11:12 am »
Thanks for your impressions, Jon L!
I wanted to go but couldn't, so I appreciate your write-up.

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2005, 09:42 pm »
Quote from: Hajime Sato
Thanks for your impressions, Jon L!
I wanted to go but couldn't, so I appreciate your write-up.

Hope you can join us on 6/12 for ModWright Denon 3910 vs. stock 3910.  Should be fun, though what I really want to hear is ModWright 3910 vs. UDP-1...

John Casler

Re: 5/28 LAOC mtg Impressions
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2005, 11:14 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
A great turnout for a great event!  I don't know how Bob Levi has enough energy to do this month after month.  Looking forward to another LAOC event to be hosted by our own John Castler with VMPS RM30 x3 in August!.

Hey Jon,

Hope I can "live up to" the expectations.  I intend to run 3 VMPS RM30's with a Pair of LARGER VMPS Subwoofers.

We will use a UDP-1 CDP into a Bryston BP26DA.  This will then run into Three Son of AMPzilla amplifiers via a TriNaural Processor.  The subs will be powered by a CineNova 600wpc power amp.

Soundstring will be the supplier of wiring and cable products.

Hope I can make it work in the Hotel Meeting Room we have.

The Star of the event was Wilson Maxx 2 ($45K), and rightly so. While I wished I could have heard the speakers with a little different system voicing/tuning, there's no denying its main virtues: dynamic range that won't quit, resolution without driver/cabinet resonances, and sheer sense of confidence and authority. And unlike many previous Wilsons, Maxx 2 was even "musical." No spotlighting of upper midrange with plenty of calories in mid/low-mids on down.

Lots of people rave about Wilson (and Maxx) bass, but in this system, there seemed a slight lack of total control in mid-bass, which I'm sure was either the room, wires, or tubes..

Wow! I guess we were listening to well over $100K if we include the room, which was quite tricked out.

To be sure the Wilson's seemed to have a "lot" of potential.  I concur that the dynamic capabilities seemed "untapped" and "effortless".  

I noticed the bass was nice and deep, but as you mentioned, a little soft (no doubt due to the tubes)  Now I could feel bass "power", but I just couldn't hear the "Detail and edges" to the cut I sat in the sweet spot for.

I also noticed a "fullness" smack dab in the middle of the mids, that seemed to "blanket" the sound, in comparison to what I'm used to.

On a whole I think the tubes and the room treatment (diffusion rather than absorption) softened the whole presentation as far as "resolution of fine detail".

Now strangely enough, it did not make the detail "imperceptible", it just pushed it further back into the soundstage, where it lost its prominence.

So my perceptions were due more to a completley opposite type reference system.  Mine is "revealing" to the point of being "edgy" and "forward" while this system was "fuller" and slightly "laid back".

But, the system definately "oozed" refinement and dynamic power.  I think Brook has "lots" more clean SPL's that he could have called upon at any time, without stressing the system in any way.

Too, it was a great "vinyl" system because it did not emphasize any of the groove grundge or imperfections.

The cabinets of the Wilson's are like "battle ships" and make no noise whatsoever.

I know that Wilson can sound entirely different with a different room and front end, since I heard the Sophia's not to long ago in a different environment and they "were" more resolving, but with less dynamic weight and Low Bass. (which would be expected due to their place in the Wilson linup)

Imaging was there, but soft and had no edges.  Depth was better and this is where the "diffusive" room treatment showed its strength.  In the sweet spot, images and soundstage was deeeeep.  Much of this depth was casued by some sounds not having immediate detail and so subsequently "originating" well back in the soundfeild.

Tonally, most all the instruments sounded real and the "cowbell" on STIMELA had a somewhat different sound than on other systems I have heard.  Might be those dual 7" midrange drivers "fattening up" the sound.

All in all, it was a great listen to a great system, and a fun time.

Hugh Masekela sounded pretty darn good, but a little further away than my reference.

Hajime Sato

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005, 11:58 pm »
Hope you can join us on 6/12 for ModWright Denon 3910 vs. stock 3910.

Yes, I'll be there! Actually, I suggested the comparison with the stock 3910 and am bringing my own unit to the meeting. I'm quite interested in how much difference Dan's mod makes.

John, thanks for your write-up. It must have been very interesting. Now I really regret I missed it!

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2005, 05:52 pm »
"Wow! I guess we were listening to well over $100K if we include the room, which was quite tricked out."

Did you notice all the Grand Prix Audio equipment racks in use?  I believe they go for like $3,800 (4 tier), and I counted quite a few including amps stands under Hovland.  Heck, I think the racks alone cost more than my whole system   :mrgreen:

Anyway, John, can you burn me a copy of the demo CD you brought that had the Hugh Masekela cut on it to the June meeting ?

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2005, 08:34 pm »
"Wow! I guess we were listening to well over $100K if we include the room, which was quite tricked out."

Did you notice all the Grand Prix Audio equipment racks in use?  I believe they go for like $3,800 (4 tier), and I counted quite a few including amps stands under Hovland.  Heck, I think the racks alone cost more than my whole system   :mrgreen:

Anyway, John, can you burn me a copy of the demo CD you brought that had the Hugh Masekela cut on it to the June meeting ?

Yeah Brook, has a lot of the high end toys to play with.  I'd love to spend a month there setting up that system to my preferences.  I could certainly hear the potential.

Will burn demo.

KeithR

Maxx2s
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2005, 09:00 pm »
I think these are the final step in my system, when the time arrives.  I have heard them numerous times, and setup is very contingent on the sound they produce.

That said, I can't think of a better speaker in the top end.  I've heard the big Kharmas, Rockports, Triangles, etc. and the Maxx2s really do it for me.  The effortless dynamics they produce is the big difference for me.  And as said before, they are musical not etched sounding.  

Check out the new stereophile review btw...MF bought the pair and he has had many of the top units in his room as of late.

Sorry haven't been around in awhile...trying to find a new job....