Magnepan 3.6 Speakers

klao

Re: Magnepan 3.6 Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2008, 11:56 am »
Hi Crimson,

What are your thoughts on Biamp vs Passive with the 3.6's.

james

Hi James,

IMO, two deficiencies of the 3.6 are 1)they require lots and lots of power to sound effortless 2)they are a little dark i.e. are slightly lacking in lower mid-range energy (which I attribute to the passive crossover). Active biamping fixes the first issue, and the use of an adjustable active crossover lessens the second. My preference is to biamp as I'm able to take their already fabulous sound to the next level. I've even gone a step further 'effectively' triamping them by rolling them off at about 60Hz using a shallow sloped high level crossover to powered subs. In a word, the sound is sublime with no audible issues in the crossover region(s) (not to take away from them in stock passive form).

Hi Crimson,

Tried the MG-3.6 with a 10B and 4-7B's in active bi-amp mode this weekend - I agree it takes it up a notch.

james

James,

I'm assuming this was compared to a pair of 7-B's. How did it compare to a pair of 28B's? Did you use the recommended crossover frequencies and slopes? BTW, I use the 7B's on the bottom and tubes on top.

I am trying it a number of ways.  So far the 7B on the bottom and the 28B on top sounds the best. Going to try 2-14B's as well.

I am also experimenting with crossover slopes - started at 200 on the highpass at 6dB and 250 on the lowpass at 18dB-gain at 0.

james

Hi James & all,

Sonically, how would you rank these passive/active or single/bi-amps configurations when driving the Maggies 3.6's (given there's no improvement on the current 7B's yet)? 

- Two pairs of 7B-SST's & 10B-Sub (U$ ~18,250)
- One pair of 28B-SST's (U$ ~16,000)
- One pair of 7B-SST's, one 4B-SST, & 10B-Sub (U$ ~14,740)
- Two pairs of 4B-SST's & 10B-Sub (U$ ~11,240)
- One 4B-SST's, one 3B-SST, & 10B-Sub (U$ ~9,350)
- One pair of 7B-SST's (US$ ~7,595)

I have a rather smallish listening room 18ft x 12.5ft (+) x 11.5ft (LxWxH).  Pictures here http://www.thaiavclub.org/forums/index.php?topic=5598.0 .  Not sure which power amps combination would be optimum within the budget range as per above.

Also what are the Class-A biases (watts) of the 28B's and the 7B's?

Thank you.

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2008, 12:58 pm »
You know Klao that is a tough call.

I listen to the 28B's fullrange into the passive network of the MG3.6 and I have to say it really sounds superb.  The active bi-amping gives you more control so 4-7B's and a 10B really allows the fine tuning of the bass vs mid/tweeters in the MG3. The active system also gives you more control and better transient response on the bass panel and the mid panel (amplifer is directly connected).

The argument against the 10B and the bi-amping is that your inserting more electronics in the chain which some feel is not as 'purist' an approach. Also you have to remember that the speaker designer can manipulate and control very fine adjustment within a passive crossover that you can not adjust for when you power the driver(s) directly.

I have always found more power is better with the Maggie's so I would go for a pair of the 28B's driving the passive crossover in the MG3.6 assuming the room/speaker interface allows for excellent performance and reasonably flat frequency balance.  If you need more flexibility in integrating the speaker into the room or you feel the speaker sounds a little sluggish and ill-defined I would opt for a bi-amplified setup using 4-7B's and the 10B.

james

« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2008, 06:40 pm by James Tanner »

klao

« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2008, 01:35 pm »
Thanks, James.  I realize it's indeed a tough call.  If there's any development on the trickling down of 28B's input stage into the 7B's & 14B's, please let us know.

BTW, the SP 3 looks quite nice for the upcoming CEDIA.  I'm eager to know how its bypass analog sounds compare to that of the BP26.  A bit worried that the video circuitry would compromise that somehow?

Have a nice weekend.   :)

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2008, 01:56 pm »
Thanks, James.  I realize it's indeed a tough call.  If there's any development on the trickling down of 28B's input stage into the 7B's & 14B's, please let us know.

BTW, the SP 3 looks quite nice for the upcoming CEDIA.  I'm eager to know how its bypass analog sounds compare to that of the BP26.  A bit worried that the video circuitry would compromise that somehow?

Have a nice weekend.   :)

Hi Klao,

That's why we made the video optional and if video is included then it is in a separate part of the chassis and isolated from the audio circuits.

james
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2008, 03:21 pm by James Tanner »

Burke

« Reply #24 on: 17 Aug 2008, 05:50 pm »
One pair of 7B-SST's (US$ ~7,595)
Klao,

If you have any other expensive hobbies to support, like clothing your family or eating, :>) be assured that while your "last" suggested configuration may also be "least" when compared directly against the top two alternate options, on their own, the 7B-SSTs in conjunction with the Magnepan MG 3.6s provide a powerful yet nuanced presentation worthy of your consideration. This combination will stand up to extended critical listening, and provide a lot of enjoyment "bang for the buck$". (I know, since that is the "compromise" configuration I settled on for my own system.)

Of course if money is no object or other spending priorities fall by the wayside in contrast to this decision, then the top tier recommendations have superior sonic potential -- assuming the room is right and other components in the reproduction chain are equally up to the task.

Burke

klao

« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2008, 03:24 am »
Klao,

If you have any other expensive hobbies to support, like clothing your family or eating, :>) be assured that while your "last" suggested configuration may also be "least" when compared directly against the top two alternate options, on their own, the 7B-SSTs in conjunction with the Magnepan MG 3.6s provide a powerful yet nuanced presentation worthy of your consideration. This combination will stand up to extended critical listening, and provide a lot of enjoyment "bang for the buck$". (I know, since that is the "compromise" configuration I settled on for my own system.)

Of course if money is no object or other spending priorities fall by the wayside in contrast to this decision, then the top tier recommendations have superior sonic potential -- assuming the room is right and other components in the reproduction chain are equally up to the task.

Burke

Hi Burke,

Thanks for your kind input.  Unfortunately, I don't have such other expensive hobbies or rich uncle's estate to support, so money is always the object.  :cry: 

I agree with you on a single pair of 7B-SST's with the 3.6's, because I auditioned them in my system. Love their synergy immensely.  However, the local distributor here in Bangkok last quoted them equivalent to around US$10,000!  So I'm still debating maybe I should start with the smaller 4B-SST first and then add another 3B or 4B later for active bi-amping when my discretionary income permits.  Thus, that tough question to James.

Klao

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 21 Aug 2008, 07:27 pm »
Klao,

Burke

Hi Burke,

Thanks for your kind input.  Unfortunately, I don't have such other expensive hobbies or rich uncle's estate to support, so money is always the object.  :cry: 

I agree with you on a single pair of 7B-SST's with the 3.6's, because I auditioned them in my system. Love their synergy immensely.  However, the local distributor here in Bangkok last quoted them equivalent to around US$10,000!  So I'm still debating maybe I should start with the smaller 4B-SST first and then add another 3B or 4B later for active bi-amping when my discretionary income permits.  Thus, that tough question to James.

Klao

Hi,

Burke's correct on this - I should have mentioned a single pair of 7B's sounds excellent on the MG3.6's.

james