Budget Home Theater and Spoiled Dogs

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Budget Home Theater and Spoiled Dogs
« on: 28 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm »
Where the DMW used to be in this photo there is now a flat screen

The problem is that where I was standing when this photo was taken is EXACTLY where a small couch is that the dog took over and she sheds like you can't believe. 
Lynda and I now sit right around the left hand corner of this picture so the sound is all shifted to our left.
This makes movie dialogue difficult to understand when they're mumbling.

I could either go center channel (CC5)
Get another MMG flipped on it's side for a center channel (tweeter up) but it wouldn't be too far off from the wall which concerns me
Mount a DMW inside of the center cabinet and use to Mini Maggie planars on top of the center cabinet or
Get two MMGWs and mount them on the rear wall (where I was standing when I took this picture).

Losing the dog is not an option as it's not mine.  Maybe shave it bald?

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
Re: Budget Home Theater and Spoiled Dogs
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2012, 01:05 pm »

Plus:

Plus:

Everyday  :thumb:

Otherwise, I would put in a center channel of some sort. Maybe try an MMG there and see how it sounds.

Tubo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2012, 04:40 pm »
Steve,

Of the alternatives you mentioned the most interesting is using Mini Maggies (including the DWM woofer) as a center channel. Since they have true ribbons and are basically a scaled-down version of larger Maggies, they have the potential of higher resolution. And the Mini Maggies + DWM would be a full-range center channel. The only question is, can they play loud enough to be the team leader in a 5.1 HT setup? Please try it and let us know! :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2012, 08:25 pm »
That is the question, isn't it?  I don't know if the little guys could keep up with MMGs before they called it quits.
I'd hate to do a destruction test on them.

Bardo

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2012, 02:16 am »
Hey Steve,

I actually called and asked Wendell a few months ago if the Mini Maggies would suffice as a center channel and he quickly said no because they don't have enough 'power response'. I don't know what power response means though.

I told him I was debating between the CC5 and the Mini Maggies but because I have 3.7's, I kind of cringe at the idea of getting a non-ribbon center but the CCR is and will always be out of my price range. But, that's what Wendell suggested. He'll know better than I.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2012, 05:25 pm »
I gave Wendell a buzz this morning and explained my predicament.

Will the Mini Maggies keep up, SPL-wise, with the MMGs? 
No, too puny.
Will flipping a third MMG on it's side work?
No, there's no sideways dispersion so you'd have to sit in the middle of the dog hair couch and then you'd need to be inside the tweeter area for it to work right.
CC5?
Yes. 
A further report will follow.

« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2012, 09:16 pm by SteveFord »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2012, 10:12 am »
Update:

Last night the wife announced she wanted to get a poodle to keep our oversized boxer doggie hair factory company.
I told her to send me a postcard from her and the dogs when they settle into their new residence.

Arf!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2012, 10:23 pm »
That's the way to put your man of the house foot down, Steve (or was that in a dream?).

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2012, 10:40 pm »
No dream, no poodle.
After all, the poodle bites, the poodle chews it. :D

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2012, 10:46 pm »
In my world, if an animal is not a work animal or raised for slaughter, it's of little use to the world. Man's best friend (the dog), is nothing more then a poop and piss factory.

:D

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2012, 01:17 am »
Poodles are great! Just get one of the big ones, not the little yippy ones....

http://imageshack.us/a/img696/1010/myriampics012.jpg

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #11 on: 4 Nov 2012, 01:36 am »
Well Steve I can relate....

Before I had my room, I had my audio equipment set up in the living room.
One night my GF A-88 was doing its job when a big "CRACK!" erupted from the amp.
I rushed up to turn it off but not before another one hit. It was so loud...firecracker loud.

The next day I fired her up to see......right channel gone.
I boxed her up and that was that.
About a yr later I was buying a MP 401 from Gary at musical paradise.
On the phone I asked if he would be interested in fixing the A-88.
I dropped it off at his house. A week later he said to come on down, all fixed.

The first thing he asked was....You have a white dog?
Yep....Jack Russel, she had a short course coat....she shed like crazy.
Guess what had collected in the amp....

So that dog hair could be more than just bothersome.

My dog has passed now, but I have another JR, hes a short hair, but still sheds...not as bad.
Hes allowed in my room, but has a bed that he lies in....not allowed to wander, and I take
apart my stuff once a yr and give it a canned air cleaning.

Perry

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2012, 01:40 am »
In my world, if an animal is not a work animal or raised for slaughter, it's of little use to the world. Man's best friend (the dog), is nothing more then a poop and piss factory.

That's funny cuz when I read your posts such as this one Wayner, a poop and piss factory comes to mind quite often. :jester:

My Aussie shephard buddy, Bandit says Rrrruffin' A!  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin 

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2012, 01:51 am »

I'd say you're missing out on quite a lot then  :wink:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2012, 02:06 am »
When I was looking to put together an all Magnepan 7.1 system I also spoke w/ Wendell, and next to a Maggie tech.  The Maggie tech was trying to up-sell me on the CC5 vs the MMG-C to use with my 1.7's.  He claimed the CC5 had more "power handling" vs the MMG-C and was therefore better matched to the power handling of the 1.7.  I said I don't listen to movies at ear bleeding levels.  He said you'd be surprised at the peaks levels achieved.  Wendell also was trying to steer me towards the CC5 - said MMG & C / W were really designed as an alternative for the Best Buy crowd vs cheapo speakers & home theater in a box. I think they really feel that few if anyone is going to stay w/ MMG / MMG-C or MMG-W and will upgrade within the 60 day home trial to bigger / better.

Maybe they might - particularly for the main two channels - but I think I disagree on the necessity for the other channels. The MMG-W are good rear / side channels, the MMG-C is perfectly decent center, and I haven't felt that I've reached their max power handling. 

I tried a regular MMG on it's side as a center channel, and I thought it was even better than the MMG-C - but my MMG-C is not fully broken in, and is more convenient to place.  And I even used a pair I bought second hand and w/ door hinges, wall mounted them as a cheaper / better alternative to MC1's for side surround channels.

Not gonna help Magnepan financially, but I think putting together a multichannel system based on used MMG's is the most cost effective as pairs go for $350 - 400 used.  Maybe will concede that they should be mounted against the wall as they are not "voiced" to be that close to a back wall.  But you can certainly do as Steve & I and mount them such that they have some distance from the back / side walls.

Re: the dog - PDR's experience w/ his JR now has me worried.  I have a JR as well that has run of the house, but fortunately no blown gear!  The furminator + a lint roller is your friend.

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2012, 03:30 am »
I use the MMG-Ws in back for surrounds and love them, but there's no way I'd be happy with an MMG-C in the center. Definitely not with my 3.6s, but I wouldn't even do it if I still had my MMGs. Id rather just go with a phantom center than put a "C" in the middle, personally.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #16 on: 4 Nov 2012, 05:46 am »
I've thought about going the "phantom" center route as well sometimes.  But really the MMG-C is pretty decent - and w/ the 60 day trial, there's really little to no risk trying it. Buying a pair of MMG's used to experiment with as a center is also pretty low risk as they are much in demand in the used market and very easy to sell on.

If someone has experience trying all three (and / or also the CC5 or CCR) vs phantom center & what their preference was & why, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 4 Nov 2012, 11:54 am »
That's funny cuz when I read your posts such as this one Wayner, a poop and piss factory comes to mind quite often. :jester:

My Aussie shephard buddy, Bandit says Rrrruffin' A!  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Emsquare

« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2012, 01:40 pm »
Update:

Last night the wife announced she wanted to get a poodle to keep our oversized boxer doggie hair factory company.
I told her to send me a postcard from her and the dogs when they settle into their new residence.

Arf!

A few observations ...

1) I love boxers. Stubborn, goofy, sweet - natured, love muffins. The pic that you chose is a splendid example of 'boxer in the house'. A boxer will not be ignored for long.

*Short boxer story. A friends boxer named Tyler had escaped the back yard. It took a panicked half an hour to locate the rat b@$t@rd. It wasn't so much that he fought extradiction back to home so much as he employed passive resistance. He went completely limp which necessitated being slung over the shoulders for the 1/2 mile trek home. The passing drivers assumed injury/death and would slow to inquire if the dog was OK to which they eventually got the answer, "He's fine till I get him home". But what can you do? Beat the dog for misjudging their ability to escape confinement?

2) I believe the lyric is "A poodle dog bites it and a poodle dog chews it". Among my favorite FZ lines.

3) So ... did she get the poodle yet? How about now? Now?

4) Dogs may be defecation machines but we knew that when we made the decission.

5) Ever wonder if one of the little Sunfire QR monitors may serve the purpose for the center channel? May not be the best match but I've wondered if they could be used with Magnepan's for this purpose.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #19 on: 4 Nov 2012, 02:20 pm »
A few observations ...

4) Dogs may be defecation machines but we knew that when we made the decision.

So are children, but dogs don't wreck the car, need constant wardrobe changes, the latest electronic gadgets, or get arrested.

And a dog hardly ever gets mad at you.................. :icon_twisted:

EDIT:  Now, if you want a pooping and pissing machine, get a Dallas Cowboy fan, er, bird.

A dog won't crap on the ceiling fan, your shirt, or the top of your favorite chair.
 :banghead: