New X-LS Encore build

gaelen5

Re: New X-LS Encore build
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2019, 04:35 am »
Excellent work. The finish on those has so much depth and detail. They're gorgeous!

THROWBACK

« Reply #21 on: 2 May 2019, 01:21 pm »
Mike,
Beautiful! Nice to see that there are still some genuine craftsmen around.
Chuck

Sparkeysf

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul 2020, 12:03 am »
and the step above is Platinum by-pass caps in the tweeter circuits and Miflex KPCU by-pass caps in the woofer circuits.

Hi Mike!

These look amazing. I'm currently building a set, and want to make sure I have all the best upgrades I can possibly install. I've ordered parts from GS Research including the Sonicaps and Mills resistors. Would you mind explaining the woofer and tweeter bypasses? Is this a worthwhile upgrade? What are the values in case I decide to order these caps?

Thanks!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jul 2020, 04:08 am »
As I understand it, the by-pass cap allows the primary cap to discharge faster which results in cleaner more detailed sound.

The Sonicap Platinums I used are no longer available in the size needed for a by-pass cap. Currently the by-pass cap of choice around here is the Miflex KPCU (copper/paper in oil). Danny has them in stock, give him a call.

I’ve built X-LS Encores with many crossover levels, from the original pre-built PCB crossover to the version in these speakers. Every upgrade makes a difference.

Sparkeysf

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jul 2020, 08:20 am »
Thanks Mike. I corresponded with Danny today, and now have some .1uF Miflex KPCU caps added to my order. For the woofer circuit, he recommended .1uf Gen.2 Sonicaps, which I'll order when I find them online somewhere.

Cheers!
Sparkeysf

Trong

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2020, 02:52 pm »
Yes, wow. It is a pleasure seeing where you take your passion and your craft. Inspiration!
Thanks for sharing

Coreyportelli

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2024, 09:27 pm »
Very nice pair of XLS Encore’s.
The best I’ve seen.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2024, 03:58 pm »
Very nice pair of XLS Encore’s.
The best I’ve seen.

Thanks. They are one of a kind. The chances of running across more maple from a tree with all three characteristics, ambrosia (wormy), figured, and spalted at same time it’s very slim. Even if I did find enough wood from such a tree, the expression would be different.