Oneac and Powervar isolation transformers...still good?

cpalcott

People still having good luck with Oneac and Powervar isolation transformers? I am looking into them, but can’t figure out which one would be best for my system. I am basically running nine items into a Wiremold L10320 (Naim approved) powerstrip:

1. McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe
2. Paradigm PS1000 Powered (250W) Subwoofer
3. Tube Audio Design TADAC Pre/DAC
4. Monarchy Audio DIP Original
5. Apple TV
6. TivoHD
7. Impact Acoustics 3-Play Component Switcher
8. Hitachi 36” Direct View CRT HDTV
9. Harmony 890 RF Extender

Any suggestions about model/amps?

TheChairGuy

Re: Oneac and Powervar isolation transformers...still good?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2011, 06:52 pm »
Isolation transformers are best used on source equipment....and most benefit generally realized on digital gear. Ie, I haven't found much of any benefit on my turntable(s), for instance.

The lower the noise in the line going in, but maybe more importantly, they act as a wastegate from allowing digital garbage back into the line (and your system)

Your gonna' get different opinions of the level of power conditioning needed in this circle....but, my opinion is it's best to get a few smaller Oneac or similar IsoTrannies and isolate each of your digital items.

Your DAC functions as your preamp and it's tube....so it may require a larger IsoTranny on the order of the PowerVar (as would your Hitachi TV if you want to put that on there, too)

Leave the subwoofer and McCormack amp straight into the Naim/Wiremold power strip...their power draw will likely starve these components if even a HUGE IsoTranny is used. The resultant sound of starvation is troubling to my ears...but not everyone hears it.

I use the Adept stuff for my amplification equipment and it seems to help a bit with higher fidelity with the starvation caused by use with an IsoTranny (or in my case the use of two different brands of very high capacity, expensive, Balanced Power units)

I haven't found the justification of buying a (most often) Balanced Power unit over a (often much less expensive) medical grade Isolation Transformer to be there, myself.

Different strokes for different folks, of course  :thumb:

John

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2011, 03:38 am »
Isolation transformers are best used on source equipment....and most benefit generally realized on digital gear. Ie, I haven't found much of any benefit on my turntable(s), for instance.

The lower the noise in the line going in, but maybe more importantly, they act as a wastegate from allowing digital garbage back into the line (and your system)

Your gonna' get different opinions of the level of power conditioning needed in this circle....but, my opinion is it's best to get a few smaller Oneac or similar IsoTrannies and isolate each of your digital items.

Your DAC functions as your preamp and it's tube....so it may require a larger IsoTranny on the order of the PowerVar (as would your Hitachi TV if you want to put that on there, too)

Leave the subwoofer and McCormack amp straight into the Naim/Wiremold power strip...their power draw will likely starve these components if even a HUGE IsoTranny is used. The resultant sound of starvation is troubling to my ears...but not everyone hears it.

I use the Adept stuff for my amplification equipment and it seems to help a bit with higher fidelity with the starvation caused by use with an IsoTranny (or in my case the use of two different brands of very high capacity, expensive, Balanced Power units)

I haven't found the justification of buying a (most often) Balanced Power unit over a (often much less expensive) medical grade Isolation Transformer to be there, myself.

Different strokes for different folks, of course  :thumb:

John
Pretty much my experience, too.

I have a Topaz 2.5KVA Ultra Isolation transformer that I used with my Cary tube gear.  It worked fine on my power amps as they were CAD572SE MkII SET with a constant current draw.  It had plenty of capacity for the front end and CD player, too.  Put it on a SS amp and the amp just sounds compressed with the leading edges of dynamics blunted.

It is interesting to note that I also had a modified PS Audio P300 that was plugged into an UberBUSS.  I used this combo for the front end with the amps also plugged into the Uber which was in turn plugged into the Topaz.  Every stage of noise isolation improved the sound of my system.  It is truly a testimony to just how important noise elimination and isolation is in creating a killer system.

I wholeheartedly agree that multiple smaller iso TX on the digital sources is a great idea.  They are readily available on the surplus market at reasonable prices.

Dave

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2011, 09:44 am »
How does one decide what size unit to get?  I am looking to find something for my Panasonic SA-XR 700 pure digital receiver and also my Squeezebox Touch.  I also have a Behringer DCX-2496, Panasonic Blu-Ray player and Samsung Plasma.  Would these all be better if plugged into a power conditioner?