Clean Power for Audio

vektro

Clean Power for Audio
« on: 23 Nov 2003, 09:59 pm »
Anyone have any advice on getting good clean power for my system. I am putting in two dedicated 20amp circuits for my equipment, and I have purchased 7 Pass& Seymour 20 amp, cryoed outlets. My equipment consists of 2 monblock amps, a 3 channel amp, a surround sound receiver,(mainly as a pre/pro), dvd player,and a turntable. I am now looking for a surge protector. Would I just get one with enough outlets, plug all my gear into the surge protector, and plug that into my dedicated circuit? If so, then I guess I got too many high dollar outlets. I am putting in a new electric service, so I want to do it right while I have the opportunity.

Hantra

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2003, 12:34 am »
Have you run wire yet?

If not, tell them to use #10 stranded THHN.  Also, the Wattgate 381's are badass.  I don't care what anyone says.  I compared one to one of the FMS back to back, and it's a no-brainer. . .  I've spent more on tweaks that suck. . .  ;-)

Good luck!

B

byteme

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2003, 12:54 am »
For conditioning I've been VERY happy with my OneAc and Powervar isolation transformers.  The Powervar is 6 amp and runs all my digital gear.  The Oneac is a CL1102, 2 amp that powers my preamp.  "They" say it's good to separate digital and analog equipment, I've found that to be true.  For my amps, two of them are run through the PS Audio ultimate outlet (the sub amp and 5 channel surround amp), my Odyssey Stratos goes directly to the wall.  Most amp manufactures recommend going right to the wall.  Oh, the best part, the Powervar was $70 shipped, brand new from ebay, the Oneac was like $20 shipped ebay, brand new.  If you go this route either try to find new or ask specifically if the transformer hums at all when plugged in.  Some of the older ones make noise with is audible during quiet movie and music passages.  

About a year and a half ago we remodled and added a room that turned into our HT/living room.  I ran two dedicated 20Amp lines terminated with cryo'd outlets.  Great "tweak" and your not going to regret it.  My only wish is that I had put in two more lines and two more outlets.  You can NEVER have enough outlets!

Double Ugly

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2003, 01:13 am »
byteme,

Mind telling me what cryo'd outlets you got and where you got 'em?

I've been looking at these, but I don't know anything about them or the seller.  I have two outlets to "correct", but I'm running in circles.

Thanks.

DU

doug s.

• makin' music
Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2003, 02:39 am »
byteme, get a second isolation transformer, & run one each, for transport & dac - you will notice a similar improvement in lowered noise-floor & added detail, as ya likely got when ya separated yer digital from the preamp.

also, i found a vans evers unlimiter works fine on my main amps, (a mesa baron tubed amp & two electrocompaniet aw75dmb's), w/o *any* sonic degradation...  i wanted to have some protection for 'em, & wooda been plenty happy w/no sonic change whatsoever; in fact, i was pleasantly surprised w/a small improvement in control - everyting was a tad tighter...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2003, 02:49 am »
Quote from: Double Ugly
byteme,

Mind telling me what cryo'd outlets you got and where you got 'em?

I've been looking at these, but I don't know anything about them or the seller.  I have two outlets to "correct", but I'm running in circles.

Thanks.

DU

al's outlets have a great following - i may try a couple myself.  re: al himself, ya won't find a better guy to deal with.  he's as trustworthy a guy as you'll ever find.  and, as far as his system goes, well, his rig cost somewhere  north of $250k - his ancillary wire, power conditioning, outlets, etc, cost more than most folk's rigs...  check it out:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1022712214

his bio:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr_memb.pl?&&memb&zzAlbertporter

doug s.

John Casler

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2003, 03:02 am »
Anyone have any advice on getting good clean power for my system.

Hi Vectro,

Boy there is a lot of ground here.  Clean Power can mean many things and there are different ways and levels that can be used to acheive it.

I am both a hobbyist and dealer for some brands of "power products",

Monster, Panamax, Tripplite, Furman Pro, Richard Gray, Sound Applications, BPT, and ExactPower are just a few of the lines I have access to and can place with my clients.

I have also heard (recently) some OneAC, and Van Evers.

I ended up with the BPT, which sounds incredible and the particular unit I have is a BP1 customized to have 4 outlets as a Clean Power Center and 6 outlets as "balanced power" off the tranformer.

In comparing the unit I have now with the Panamax, the Monster, and the OneAC, it wasn't close overall. (but in the case of the OneAC it wasn't close in price either)

The only unit that equalled or sounded better, was the $4200 Sound Applications XE12S, and by plugging my amp straight into the wall with a much better Power Cord, I think I have at least equalled the performance of the SA unit.

So I guess the message is, as hard as it may be, see if you can listen to a few (many have a 30 day trial period) and also realize that there are several "different" versions of "power cleaning" which include some type of filtering, balancing, stabilization, regeneration and sheilding.

Also consider that Power Cords will be extremely important to transfering the power from the wall, and once it has been "cleaned and conditioned", to the equipment it powers.

I might also add that these things are very "system dependant".  I heard a "startling difference" in a friends system using the Shunyata Hydra, and when we put it in my system, it was barely noticable.

vektro

Clean power
« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2003, 03:03 am »
Double Ugly,
I got the outlets at VH Audio http://venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html . Sorry, I can't figure out how to insert the link.  [/img][/url]

vektro

Clean Power
« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2003, 03:18 am »
Thanks for all the response. I will use the #10 wire that was suggested. Somebody told me to look at Brick Wall, not really a conditioner but, more of a surge protector. I also agree that better power cords can make a difference,too. Been hearing good things about Absolute Power cords on the net for about $50. Chris Venhaus at VH Audio has several that he makes for around $150 and up. How much do I need to spend? With the #10 wire, dedicated 20amp circuit, and cryoed 20amp outlets, would a new power cord plugged directly to the wall be okay? Maybe that and add the Brick Wall for surge protection. http://www.brickwall.com/ [/urlhttp://www.gttgroup.com/absolutepower.html][url]http://www.venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html

Double Ugly

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2003, 03:21 am »
doug s. and vektro:

Thanks for the replies.  Much appreciated.

And doug, thanks for info on Al, too.  

DU

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2003, 03:24 am »
One correction if I may, Chris VenHaus has most of his power cords for under $100. It's only hen you go with the higher end terminations that the prices climb. Most of my 6 VenHaus PC's are of the <$100 variety and I highly recommend them as they have worked wonders for me. Regards, Robin

nathanm

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2003, 03:26 am »
I would get ONE expensive outlet and then make a multi-IEC-headed power cord for the equipment.  After building one of these myself it was one of those "Duh, why didn't I think of this before?" moments.   I made two actually, one from scratch and one just by cutting off the male end of some exisiting cords and braiding them together into a 5:1 combo.  Only thing is making sure you've got enough length to reach the backs of all the gear.  I was able to get 5 cords of the usual black power cord variety into the back of one plug, but I'm sure you could fit more if you cut back the insulation. Why IEC plugs cost double the price of male AC plugs is a real mystery, though.

byteme

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:32 am »
DU,

I got my outlets direct from Virtual Dynamics in July when they were on "special" for $29 each.  Got 5 of them, 2 for the wall outlets, 2 for Powervar and one for my Oneac.

As for the BPT gear, I've talked to Chris at BPT before and am sure his stuff is outstanding.  However, I've spent a total of $200 on the units, cryo'd outlets and ERS.  The BPT just reviewed at 6moons is $2500.  For $2300 it better be a helluva lot better, in fact I'd hope it would also wash the car, vaccuum and do the dishes.

satfrat

• Restricted
Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:39 am »
Byteme, it surprises me that you would waste money on Traphazers but scrimp on a quality power conditioner. Make me wonder about your priorities? Regards, Robin

bubba966

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:43 am »
Robin,

byteme has a point. While his tweaked OneAC & Powervar might not be up to snuff with a 3.5 Sig, it might be awfull damn close. You've not heard his conditioners, or a 3.5 Sig. So how do you know for sure he's not made the best choice for his situation?

I really wouldn't mind a 3.5 Sig. But $2,500 is a lot of cheese that I don't have. So for someone like me a pimped out OneAC or Powervar is the next best thing. And maybe it's the same for byteme as well.

Double Ugly

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:50 am »
Quote from: byteme
DU,

I got my outlets direct from Virtual Dynamics in July when they were on "special" for $29 each.  Got 5 of them, 2 for the wall outlets, 2 for Powervar and one for my Oneac.

As for the BPT gear, I've talked to Chris at BPT before and am sure his stuff is outstanding.  However, I've spent a total of $200 on the units, cryo'd outlets and ERS.  The BPT just reviewed at 6moons is $2500.  For $2300 it better be a helluva lot better, in fact I'd hope it would also wash the car, vaccuum and do the dishes.

Thanks, byteme, I replied in the other thread.  I apologize for semi-hijacking this one.  Was not intentional.

DU

satfrat

• Restricted
Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:52 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Robin,

byteme has a point. While his tweaked OneAC & Powervar might not be up to snuff with a 3.5 Sig, it might be awfull damn close. You've not heard his conditioners, or a 3.5 Sig. So how do you know for sure he's not made the best choice for his situation?

I really wouldn't mind a 3.5 Sig. But $2,500 is a lot of cheese that I don't have. So for someone like me a pimped out OneAC or Powervar is the next best thing. And maybe it's the same for byteme as well.
You make a very good point Bubba, but then again there are very few products out there that have rung up as many bad reviews as the Traphazers and they are NOT cheap either Bubba. My only point was money being better spent. Regards, Robin

byteme

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2003, 05:11 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Robin,

Bubba, you're right on here.  When I next have a free $2500 it'll be spent on a pair of Lorelei speakers.  Spending $2500 on a power conditioner when my amp "only" cost $1200 - to me that's insane.

As for my priorities, I think if you've followed what I've posted here since I've joined it's always been the same.  Bang for the buck, pure and simple.  Nixon, Philly Audio, Odyssey, DVP S7700 transport, Powervar and Oneac for power conditioning - I'd say all those fit the bill.  

As for the triphazers, I've explained that too.  Have you heard them in your system?  Are you familiar with them?  Do you seriously think I paid retail?  Why the need to bring that into this?

satfrat

• Restricted
Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2003, 05:22 am »
Byteme, no disrespect meant here. It's just that you & Audiojerry had brought them up the other night and out of curiosity did some research. I was shocked at what I read about them, especially knowing how much you research yourself on products. Frankly, I couldn't find anything good said about them. And like I said earlier, they ain't cheap. Neither is BPT but then compared to other AUDIO-GRADE conditioners, they're the best priced available. I guess it's my curiosity that made me even bring up the subject, but it wasn't meant to disrespect you, hope you believe that. Regards, Robin

byteme

Clean Power for Audio
« Reply #19 on: 24 Nov 2003, 05:35 am »
Quote from: satfrat
Byteme, no disrespect meant here. It's just that you & Audiojerry had brought them up the other night and out of curiosity did some research. I was shocked at what I read about them, especially knowing how much you research yourself on products. Frankly, I couldn't find anything good said about them. And like I said earlier, they ain't cheap. Neither is BPT but then compared to other AUDIO-GRADE conditioners, they're the best priced available. I guess it's my curiosity that made me even bring up the subject, but it wasn't meant to disrespect you, hope you believe that. Regards, Robin

No problems  :mrgreen:   You read me right, I pretty much always overdo research.  I first met Mike @ Tritium this last May or so.  Very passionate, very "Doc Brown" from Back to the Future.  I looked them up on the web and read the mostly less than stellar reviews.  Then I talked to Mike again about price.  YIKES  :o   However, then I heard Jerry's system.  YIKES  :o  but in the opposite direction - damn good!  Then I found someone I'd dealt with before selling a pair of triphazers in my budget, liked them.  Then got some line ones as well.

Regarding the BPT, I'm sure it's excellent.  It's also more than I'll spend for that.  I've heard and had a handful of power conditioners and thus far the tweaked Powervar and Oneac are better than anything else I've heard.  It just so happens that they can be had dirt cheap on ebay.  My powervar was new in box, paid $75, retail is over $600.  So, while they were had on the cheap I certainly don't consider them a skimp.  They condition the power, isolate downstream and protect - all in one unit.