Power Conditioner Isolation

Occam

Re: Power Conditioner Isolation
« Reply #20 on: 18 Aug 2006, 03:54 pm »
Daryl,

I'd like to apologize for addressing your post indirectly, rather than voicing my reactions directly to you. It was rude.

Subjective listening tests allow you to fool yourself.
Yup, almost as likely as conclusions based thought experiments, ill formed models, and worst of all, confidence that the problem is 'trivial' without any actual experience with the issues.

FWIW,
Paul

Steve

« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2006, 05:07 pm »
I agree Occam.

Another point that I think needs to be made is that it may not be the power supply, or poor power supply related at all. Noise problems can also transverse through the ground scheme, which has nothing to do with the quality of power supply of the component.

I do find a good conditioner almost always helps on other portions of the lines as well.

In fact, the mediocre components may lack the resolution for one to perceive some problems.

Just my .02.

serengetiplains

« Reply #22 on: 19 Aug 2006, 05:08 pm »
Yup, almost as likely as conclusions based thought experiments, ill formed models, and worst of all, confidence that the problem is 'trivial' without any actual experience with the issues.

Nicely put, Paul.  In my experiments, I was pleasantly surprised to hear audible improvements adding each next conditioning component to my system, though theoretically I assumed beforehand the results should have been what I heard.  What I couldn't foresee beforehand was whether I might be choking the energy supply to my amplifiers, diminishing dynamics etc.  I observed no such compression.

I am using balanced toroids as the last component in the series feeding the power supplies of my amplifiers.  I find they also improve the sound, much like the author of the EquiTech site says: greater clarity, better bass articulation, etc.

As to the question where electricity is best cleaned (regulated), I think that's an interesting, open question.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2006, 05:19 pm by serengetiplains »