low priced power conditioner

markC

low priced power conditioner
« on: 6 Aug 2006, 04:03 pm »
http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=H15&tab=features
Has anyone ever heard of, had experience with this power conditioner? Seems to be reasonably priced. Perhaps it's a get what you pay for type thing, or perhaps it's not aimed at audiophiles.

Tinkerer

Re: low priced power conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2006, 06:37 pm »
Three or four hundred bucks is low-priced?

I consider $300 to $400 to be fair for a good power conditioner, with max 15A 120V input - but not low-priced.

(This is the age of electronics prices held down by low cost manufacturing in Asia, even for decent grade stuff.  APC is long-time and makes stuff ranging from consumer to high-end commercial/enterprise rack-mount.)

But maybe some folks want to pay thousands for a power conditioner rated at 1.6 kVA peak?

The main things I'd be concerned about with this unit is the chassis hum from the transformer, and maybe heat.  Better-made stuff will have less hum, and better efficiency & heatsinking.

markC

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2006, 08:44 pm »
Although it's spec's may be on the low side, does one really need more for a 2 channel set-up? Even running 300+ W amps, I've never tripped my 15A dedicated breaker. I suppose some concern would be aimed at choking the headroom, but with the really low voltage at the outlets here lately, it's got me wondering. Compared to most units at 3-5 times it's price, it may be worth a try. I guess I'll have to check out the return policy.

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2006, 09:45 pm »
If you are more interested in protecting your gear than power conditioning, then you might be interested in the Zero Surge or SurgeX or Brick Wall products. The SurgeX product I use, the SA-1810, claims to use an Impedance Tolerant EMI/RFI filter. They can be purchased through pro audio dealers. I can suggest a dealer. As I recall they were less than $300 each.