Trumpet

amandarae

Trumpet
« on: 11 Jul 2005, 05:26 pm »
Hello Jim,

A friend who is "leaving" vinyl offered his Trumpet to me.  Serial number is in the 1-10 range.  Roughly, do I need to be concern about the age of the caps (especially power supply) and other components as far as degradation?  I maybe barking at the moon here but even though I know the Trumpet is a very good investment, I just want to be sure.

Just in case, do you service the preamp for "tune up" in the event that it is needed?

Thanks

Abe

hagtech

Trumpet
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2005, 01:01 am »
Abe,

Congrats on the Trumpet purchase.  You will not be disappointed.  There have been no circuit changes since serial #2.  No worries about caps or storage or time.  It'll fire up just fine.  Might want to give it a day to settle into it's new home.  Sometimes wierd things happen and components need a little break-in period after a change.

No tune up necessary.  Warranty was upgraded on all units, so you are still covered in case anything goes awry.

jh :)

amandarae

Trumpet
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2005, 01:51 am »
Congrats on the Trumpet purchase. You will not be disappointed. There have been no circuit changes since serial #2. No worries about caps or storage or time. It'll fire up just fine. Might want to give it a day to settle into it's new home. Sometimes wierd things happen and components need a little break-in period after a change.

No tune up necessary. Warranty was upgraded on all units, so you are still covered in case anything goes awry.

This made my decision making soooo much easier!

Thanks Jim for the assurance.  I will be a proud "Trumpet" owner very soon.

Best,

Abe

amandarae

Trumpet
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2005, 07:02 am »
Hi again Jim!  Can the 5751 be substituted for the 12AX7's in the Trumpet?  I read the manual on-line and I know how you specifically mentioned "any 12AU7's ......any 12AX7's ... but not closed to..."

Just curious that's all.

Thanks

Abe

hagtech

Trumpet
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2005, 11:24 pm »
Yeah, the 5751 should be close enough.  Won't do any harm.

amandarae

Trumpet
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2005, 08:52 am »
Thanks Jim!

amandarae

Trumpet
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2005, 11:27 pm »
Hi (again) Jim,

Looking at the Trumpet schematics, it seems that V7 and V3 are the more "influential" of the 12AU7 pairs than V4 and V8 as far as signal path is concern.  Does that makes sense or my thinking is way out of line on this one?

Thanks

hagtech

Trumpet
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2005, 02:37 am »
Yes, you are correct.  However, it is amazing how much as decent tube damper will make on the current sink pairs.  Funny how you just can't discount even the seemingly innocuous tubes.

amandarae

Trumpet
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2005, 04:47 am »
Thanks! :)