piccolo power supply question

jmpiwonka

piccolo power supply question
« on: 18 Feb 2014, 05:14 pm »
I built a piccolo a few years ago and I've been running it on batteries ever since. I decided to order a wall wart and use that but the one I ordered didn't fit the jack I used  :duh:, the plug for the wall wart I got is 5.5x2.1mm so the jack I used on my piccolo is maybe 5.5x2.5mm ???
is there a wall wart with that size plug that would work for the piccolo?

second, I went to radio shack and bought a 5.5x2.1 jack and wired it in to the piccolo board where the battery supply wires in.
I ended up with a pretty nasty (60hz I think) hum.
Is this because I wired it into the board where the battery power is wired in and I bypassed some filtering or is the wall wart junk?

so after the wall wart was noisy, I wired up a 5.5x2.1 dc plug to a bugle power supply that I built years ago. Plugged it into the same plug that is wired to the battery traces on the board.
No 60hz hum from that but I was getting a high pitched squeal, it was pretty faint, wasn't sure I even heard it at first but it was slightly annoying.
The bugle PS isn't in a case or anything and I just twisted some hookup wire together and ran that to the piccolo (maybe 2 ft. worth), could that pickup high frequency noise and bleed it into the piccolo?

any ideas on this noise? my rechargable batteries are about done. only get a 10hrs or so out of each recharge now.
I'm tempted to just buy some more rechargable batteries but the bugle PS is just sitting around so...

thanks for any help.

jmpiwonka

Re: piccolo power supply question
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2014, 05:16 pm »
oh yeah, i guess i could wire up a 5.5x2.5mm plug to the bugle and see if it makes noise through the power jack wired to the piccolo at the correct location...

poty

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2014, 08:28 pm »
I built a piccolo a few years ago and I've been running it on batteries ever since. I decided to order a wall wart and use that but the one I ordered didn't fit the jack I used  :duh:, the plug for the wall wart I got is 5.5x2.1mm so the jack I used on my piccolo is maybe 5.5x2.5mm ???
is there a wall wart with that size plug that would work for the piccolo?
First of all - the exact spec for power supply is mentioned in the Piccolo manual. Some times ago there was several suggestions in the circle about the matter.
second, I went to radio shack and bought a 5.5x2.1 jack and wired it in to the piccolo board where the battery supply wires in.
I ended up with a pretty nasty (60hz I think) hum.
Is this because I wired it into the board where the battery power is wired in and I bypassed some filtering or is the wall wart junk?
Type of the wall-wart? It should be DC: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=46771.msg419589#msg419589
Check also the output voltage and polarity. The wall wart also can be dual supply.
so after the wall wart was noisy, I wired up a 5.5x2.1 dc plug to a bugle power supply that I built years ago. Plugged it into the same plug that is wired to the battery traces on the board.
How do you connect the Bugle PS to the plug? It is better to plug only one side of the power supply, because using both sides gives you 30V, too much.

jmpiwonka

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2014, 09:45 pm »
First of all - the exact spec for power supply is mentioned in the Piccolo manual. Some times ago there was several suggestions in the circle about the matter.Type of the wall-wart? It should be DC: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=46771.msg419589#msg419589
Check also the output voltage and polarity. The wall wart also can be dual supply.How do you connect the Bugle PS to the plug? It is better to plug only one side of the power supply, because using both sides gives you 30V, too much.

i ordered the part number from the piccolo manual, from digikey...
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=75000008

on the bugle supply, yes i only used one side of the PS to the piccolo.

so could wiring a dc plug to the piccolo board where the battery power goes cause the noise? i saw jim's post in the thread you linked where he talked about doing fancy filtering at the dc input, the battery input doesn't have this filtering?

also, thanks for the reply poty.

poty

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:02 am »
Well, I should admit that I did not understand the first explanation message correctly... My fault.
so could wiring a dc plug to the piccolo board where the battery power goes cause the noise? i saw jim's post in the thread you linked where he talked about doing fancy filtering at the dc input, the battery input doesn't have this filtering?
You should not connect the external power supply to the battery entry contacts! At this points (where batteries connected) there should be only 5-6V of highly filtered DC! Connecting to the points you bypassed the regulator (U2) delivering the necessary filtering, level of voltage and stabilization for the rest of circuit. If Piccolo works from batteries now then maybe nothing wrong happened, but I'd not try to repeat the testing in this way.
If you want to connect the Bugle PS to the Piccolo you can wire the + side of the plug to the L1 part to the wire going to the on-board DC connector and minus side to the minus of the C20.

jmpiwonka

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2014, 04:46 pm »
thanks poty.

no damage to the unit, works fine with batteries back in...i will wire up the PS correctly this time  :thumb:

will probably just get a 5.5x2.5 plug for the bugle PS and use the existing dc jack i installed a few yrs ago.
i think digikey was out of the 5.5x2.1 jack that was supposed to go into the piccolo...and i forgot about the change  :cry: