My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

Jon L

I read this interesting article by humblehomemadehifi and it made mentioned of the VISHAY-RODERSTEIN MKP-1837 Metalized Polypropylene Film Capacitor as a good bypass caps.  And the Vishay practically costs nothing.  hat is your take on this?

My take on the Vishay MKP-1839 (axial version of 1837) is here, at the bottom.  I mostly tried it on its own as coupling cap, but it should work fine as bypass.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/capacitor3.htm

tarquineous

I read this interesting article by humblehomemadehifi and it made mentioned of the VISHAY-RODERSTEIN MKP-1837 Metalized Polypropylene Film Capacitor as a good bypass caps.  And the Vishay practically costs nothing.  hat is your take on this? 

Experimentation is costly, time consuming, and can cause confusion resulting in more cost, time. So, unless you have a plan and money to experiment with, go with something proven, like the MKP-1837s.
Take notice of how they are used, and what capacitors they are used with in humblehomemakehifi.
They usually start with a good sounding, not horribly priced capacitor, from their tests, and then add the MKP-1837.
Using that combination, along with copper binding posts and better hook up wire, will result in a significant improvement over most factory speakers. Be sure to use a copper bearing solder for a bit better sound quality (Mundorf, Riehl, Chimera Labs, Cardas). For binding posts, I like the plated Cardas for best sound so far. The bare copper is a hassle.

50jess

Burning in 2.2uf Mundorf Supremes and .1uf Mundorrf S/G/Os in the Cayin CDT-17a CD player.  It's about 50 hours and the harshness is quite pronounced that even ordinary listening to music is not bearable. 
Running in a CD at repeat mode to reach 100 hours.   

oncle_tom

Who knows a supplier for PPS (Polyphenylsulfide)-Caps with values > 1.0µ, preferable in europe.

Thanks,
Peter

jazzcan

Thanks Jon and others for the wealth of information here.

I just replaced my coupling capacitors in my Copland power amp with Mundorf silver in oil.   Even without break-in I'm very impressed.

Rich

DARTH AUDIO

Really good info here. Just wondering if ayone has had a problem with the Mundorf S/O & S/G caps? I have an amp under the knife and the preliminary test points to the caps? They are only 6 months old. I'm being told they never fail? Let me know. Thanks

andyr

Really good info here. Just wondering if ayone has had a problem with the Mundorf S/O & S/G caps? I have an amp under the knife and the preliminary test points to the caps? They are only 6 months old. I'm being told they never fail? Let me know. Thanks

I've had 1uF Mundorf SiO caps as the output coupling caps in my phono stage for about 3 years and have had no issues.  And I keep it powered on 24x7, except when I go away for more than a weekend.

Regards,

Andy

jazzcan

As I just noted, I just replaced my coupling caps with Mundorf SIO.   What I didn't say was that one matched pair of the new replacement set proved faulty (leaking) right away!

However I picked up another pair and I'm a happy camper with the sound.   Have about 50 hours in to date.

Rich

Fast996

I recapped my Ampex 350 preamps with Mundorf Supreme,SO,SGO,Mcaps,& Mundorf electrolytics after 500 hours the balance of sound improved greatly. With 1000 hours the sound finally opened fully. The Mundorf caps take a really long time to settle in.

I thought Blackgates were bad!

I can say that these caps take a long time even at 50-100 hours of usage they were grainy and hard but later as the hours passed OMG did they change. Don't sell these caps short as they improve in detail and smoothness.
The build replaced 28 caps in all with Mundorf being the most used.Then Auricap in CC positions and with Ampohm copper in very select positions.
The preamps are spectacular the best sound i've ever heard from my system or anybody elses.

« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2011, 12:03 am by Fast996 »

50jess

Wow.  Such a long wait to burn-in these caps.

I.Greyhound Fan

Hi, I am a noob concerning this stuff.  I have a question about replacing the Caps in my 35 year old Technic's SU7600 integrated amp.  It has 2 large capacitors that are listed as the following-

10,000uF mass quantity resisting  pressure (40V) electrolytic capacitors. 

What Caps would you recommend using to replace the aging caps and what sonic changes can I expect?

The amp still sounds great after all these years and is in use in a secondary system in our bedroom driving a pair of Monitor Audio S1's.  I am wanting to  give it to my son because he wants a TT and it has a decent phono preamp.  So I want to spruce it up a little.  I don't mind dropping about $100 on the amp.

Much thanks!

Larry

Jon L

Hi, I am a noob concerning this stuff.  I have a question about replacing the Caps in my 35 year old Technic's SU7600 integrated amp.  It has 2 large capacitors that are listed as the following-

What Caps would you recommend using to replace the aging caps and what sonic changes can I expect?

The amp still sounds great after all these years and is in use in a secondary system in our bedroom driving a pair of Monitor Audio S1's.  I am wanting to  give it to my son because he wants a TT and it has a decent phono preamp.  So I want to spruce it up a little.  I don't mind dropping about $100 on the amp.

Much thanks!

Larry

Those 2 caps are electrolytic capacitors in power supply.  Electrolytics that old do need to be replaced, and you can google 10,000 uF (can be 10,000 or little higher) 40V (can be 40V or higher).  Panasonic, Vishy, etc are fine and pretty cheap.

If you are handy with soldering iron, do it yourself or any competent tech should be able to do it very fast. 

Æ

Much thanks!

Larry

The only problem you'll have finding 10,000uF caps, is finding the correct physical size. Otherwise 10,000uF is quite common. Don't worry about the voltage as long as it is 40V or higher. You might want to bypass the big electrolytics with some smaller film capacitors too.

I.Greyhound Fan

Thanks for the info..  I will have to take a look inside and see what other caps are there so that I can get recommendations for replacements.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Larry

AmCan

Just swapped out the Mundorf SIO for Claritycap MRs on my SimpleSE. Veeeery Nice. The SIO is no slouch but the MRs are really clean and quiet. Has the Clarity 'house' sound, but perfected. See-through.

Hi, I was wondering what your opinion of this swap might be now that you have has some time to absorb the difference; which do you prefer.

I need to select some main coupling caps for my HK Citation Solid State 19 Power amp. I have it paired with a Citation 17 pre, which I have Mundorf Supremes with the 1837 bypass as the main coupling cap on the Output Board. I just put in dedicated audio lines and it has drastically changed the sound. Everything is highly detailed, clear and opened but sounding a tad bright now but not grating. What would be the best .1uF coupling caps to put in my power amp to balance with my pre and the M-Cap supremes if I want to tame this brightness a little? I am considering Mundorf SIO or Clarity MR. I was thinking of using an RTE .01 as a bypass as well to dial in the impedance matching with my speakers. All suggestion welcome. Thanks

oncle_tom

Hi,

I got best results with Arcotronics R75 and Audyn True Copper 0.1 as bypass. Cheap and wonderfull sounding. Clear, detailled but also smooth in the upper octaves.

Peter

AmCan

Hi,

I got best results with Arcotronics R75 and Audyn True Copper 0.1 as bypass. Cheap and wonderfull sounding. Clear, detailled but also smooth in the upper octaves.

Peter

I haven't heard much about Audyn. That's a copper foil. Will they tame the brightness? My thinking was that the Clarity MRs with an RTE bypass would place more focus on the lower treble and the RTEs would sweeten the pot.

Roni

Hi Jon and others,
I read the entire thread, very helpfull, great read, most enjoyable, just wondering if you thought of trying these caps?

ModWright MOIP Series Film Capacitors (Metalized Oil-Impregnated Polypropylene)

I am going to renew the coupling caps in my Jasmine phono. At this time after reading your thread I like the ClarityCap MR Series Film Capacitor,

also  my martain logon speakers are almost 20 years old now and there are 3 caps I could renew, 2 are 15 uf and the other is 250 uf. I was thinking to repalce the 2, 15uf with ClarityCap MR Series Film Capacitors and by pass the 250 uf with a Ebay Russian teflon. any sugestions?  :scratch:
Thanks again for all your reporting, and this great thread
Roni

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
Hello Jon & Other Audio Experts!
Most of these cap trials are done in amps & such.  Is there any way to relate the sound in these usages to predict the sound if the caps are used in a speaker xover, pls?   :scratch:

Murf

face

Most of these cap trials are done in amps & such.  Is there any way to relate the sound in these usages to predict the sound if the caps are used in a speaker xover, pls?   :scratch:
Nope.