American Speaker broken in VS brand new

shakey

American Speaker broken in VS brand new
« on: 13 Jan 2020, 02:02 pm »
Last week I took delivery of a new pair of speakers. These have dual binding posts, so after placing the order for them in November my next move was to order the bi-wire version of the American Speaker cables. I have been using a single run of these cables on another pair of speakers with great results. When I first got the speakers I left the metal jumpers in place and used my single run. It all sounded great, considering the speakers had very little break in.

This past weekend I removed the jumpers and installed the bi-wire American cables. The first thing I noticed was the left/right soundstage collapsed. Music that was located outside of the speakers now moved closer to the center. On a few recordings I thought I had a terminals reversed and was listening to the music out of phase. To a lessor extent, the midrange seemed to be a little less full sounding with the brand new cable.

I'm confident that with proper break in time the bi-wire pair will sound wonderful.

Triode Pete

Re: American Speaker broken in VS brand new
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2020, 12:10 am »
Jim,
Yes, please be patient... Of all the various cables I fabricate, the BI-WIRED speaker cables take (by far) the LONGEST time to "burn-in" and "settle" into one's system.

There's quite a bit of copper & dielectric in the bi-wired speaker cables... Once, they're "burned-in", you'll be extremely satisfied! They will be much better than the single-run version with the speaker's metal jumpers... trust me!

Cheers,
Pete

dflee

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2020, 03:34 am »
I floundered on that choice.
Shoulda went biwire but did the next best thing and got the American Jumper
to go with the American cable. I'm happy with what I got and it beat the heck
out of the double pair of wire I had previously and ya they do take a while to
break in but man is it worth it.

Don

shakey

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:14 am »
Definitely worth it. I haven’t put a Triode Wire Labs cable in my system I didn’t like. And every one of them replaced a more expensive cable.

dpatters

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm »
I’ve had the biwires on my Vapor Joule Blacks since November of 2014. My recollection is that even after Pete’s preliminary burn in they took about 50-100 hrs to fully flesh out.

Don P

shakey

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2020, 09:52 pm »
My guess is that around 40 hours they started to open up. I'm not sure how many hours I have now but they sound terrific.