Minor hardware issue, need some advice.

DaveWin88

Minor hardware issue, need some advice.
« on: 13 May 2023, 07:10 pm »
Hello guys. I was recently very fortunate to upgrade my system and in the process, had to purchase a phono preamp. I went with a Parasound jc3jr. I haven't been able listen to vinyl because I have significant hum. Would putting the ground just on screw on the chassis rather than the ground on the preamp? I also wanted to tout a product that so many people seem to rave over, the Parasound JC 2 BP preamplifier. This has been the biggest single improvement that I have ever experienced in my system. It's absolutely staggering how much quieter the background is in music. You basically only hear the instruments and they portray a killer sense of 3D spatial information. It's unreal. I have a photo of how the ground is right now, and a screw on the side of the chassis. Thank you

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
Re: Minor hardware issue, need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2023, 11:27 pm »
try the ground different ways.  to preamp.  not to preamp.

can you plug the power cords into different sockets/conditioners?

look for power cords running close to signal cables.  move them apart.  make any needed crossings at right angles.

JCs are great units. good luck!

DaveWin88

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2023, 03:08 am »
try the ground different ways.  to preamp.  not to preamp.

can you plug the power cords into different sockets/conditioners?

look for power cords running close to signal cables.  move them apart.  make any needed crossings at right angles.

JCs are great units. good luck!
musicdre. I've tried pretty much most of what you have written down. I did gain a bit of ground :) but still at a level that I can't play LP's. It's frustrating and maybe this phono preamp might have been better than my turntable would justify. I was going to get a half the price Pro-ject preamp. The real kicker is that I'm jonesing to hear some albums:) The JC5 JC2 BP combo is pretty unbelievable.  Thank you for the advice. 

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2023, 05:59 am »
Try the unbalanced outputs. (most likely)
Lift the preamp off the shelf. If the hum is reduced it may be too close to the p.s. transformers in that parasound amp below.
Is there an mc/mm switch? In the correct position?
Metallic shelving unit?
Short the inputs and listen to make sure it isn't coming from the TT.

DaveWin88

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2023, 12:39 pm »
Try the unbalanced outputs. (most likely)
Lift the preamp off the shelf. If the hum is reduced it may be too close to the p.s. transformers in that parasound amp below.
Is there an mc/mm switch? In the correct position?
Metallic shelving unit?
Short the inputs and listen to make sure it isn't coming from the TT.
whydontumarryit I'll try to take the xlr's out of the mix tonight. The amplifier is at least 10 feet away from the other components. It is above the JC2. I could rearrange the rack so the JC2 is at the bottom, then the CD player, then the phono pre-amp going up to the turn table. I'm trying most of what you said tonight. I'll let you guys know. Thank you so much

DaveWin88

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2023, 03:51 pm »
OK I rearranged the rack so that the preamp is furthest away from the phono pre-amp. Tried the RCA connections. No go. I physically cannot move the turntable or phono preamp any further away. I guess it'll have to take back and get the Pro-Ject preamp.   
« Last Edit: 14 May 2023, 11:16 pm by DaveWin88 »

js1955

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2023, 04:27 pm »
Is the phono stage a recent addition?  Was vinyl playback OK and without hum (with previous phono stage) before adding it?

If so, new phono section may be defective?  If you can, try the new phono section in another system:  a friend's house, a dealer, etc.  If it works there, it is fine.  Move onto examining something else in your rig.

If you made many changes at same time to your rig, you need to start deducing things with a process of elimination approach.  That is, keep swapping out gear a piece at a time, to try and narrow down the culprit.

I assume you've already done it, but double check all your connections.  Unplug and replug all cables.  Also, check your cartridge leads at the headshell.  They can sometimes loosen from cartridge pins and cause hum.

Good Luck.

Edit to my first suggestion above:   or alternatively, insert a different phono stage into your rig.  All good, no hum?  There's your answer, bad phono section.  Hum still exists?  Your phono section is fine, look elsewhere.  etc.....

DaveWin88

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2023, 10:10 pm »
Is the phono stage a recent addition?  Was vinyl playback OK and without hum (with previous phono stage) before adding it?

If so, new phono section may be defective?  If you can, try the new phono section in another system:  a friend's house, a dealer, etc.  If it works there, it is fine.  Move onto examining something else in your rig.

If you made many changes at same time to your rig, you need to start deducing things with a process of elimination approach.  That is, keep swapping out gear a piece at a time, to try and narrow down the culprit.

I assume you've already done it, but double check all your connections.  Unplug and replug all cables.  Also, check your cartridge leads at the headshell.  They can sometimes loosen from cartridge pins and cause hum.

Good Luck.

Edit to my first suggestion above:   or alternatively, insert a different phono stage into your rig.  All good, no hum?  There's your answer, bad phono section.  Hum still exists?  Your phono section is fine, look elsewhere.  etc.....
js1955. I did have an Parasound P6 prior to the JC 2 and it had a built in phono preamp and I had no issues whatsoever. Fast forward to the JC 2 I had to get a stand alone preamp for the turntable. Through a process of elimination like you have said (trying different grounding points, at least one's that the cable could reach) I was able to get it to a hiss and not a hum. I was at least able to listen to some vinyl and let me tell you I'm so dang happy with how it sounded. I never knew albums could sound this good. The P6 seemed to roll off the high's and it just seemed muffled if you will, but the JC3 jr and the JC 2 just sounds open on the top and pretty killer. So I went downstairs to lift and I see that I had bought years ago and electrical tester kit. I've been meaning to get outlets and switches fixed, but my lazy ass just never got it done. So I tested the outlets all my equipment it using and they all (3 of them) have open grounds. So that really is the problem? I'm just going to have to have an electrician come here and update these and other outlets in the house. Thank you for all the tips, I really appreciate it. Dude I'm geeked that vinyl sounds so damn good.

DaveWin88

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2023, 12:06 am »
Small update. I had an electrician today install a grounded outlet that I can plug the preamp and the phono preamp into and it knocked out the hiss pretty significantly. Not completely gone but it's hardly noticeable until you turn it up halfway, which is beyond the volume I would even consider. The JC 2 BP has a ton of gain compared to the P6.     

Mr. Big

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2023, 02:15 pm »
js1955. I did have an Parasound P6 prior to the JC 2 and it had a built in phono preamp and I had no issues whatsoever. Fast forward to the JC 2 I had to get a stand alone preamp for the turntable. Through a process of elimination like you have said (trying different grounding points, at least one's that the cable could reach) I was able to get it to a hiss and not a hum. I was at least able to listen to some vinyl and let me tell you I'm so dang happy with how it sounded. I never knew albums could sound this good. The P6 seemed to roll off the high's and it just seemed muffled if you will, but the JC3 jr and the JC 2 just sounds open on the top and pretty killer. So I went downstairs to lift and I see that I had bought years ago and electrical tester kit. I've been meaning to get outlets and switches fixed, but my lazy ass just never got it done. So I tested the outlets all my equipment it using and they all (3 of them) have open grounds. So that really is the problem? I'm just going to have to have an electrician come here and update these and other outlets in the house. Thank you for all the tips, I really appreciate it. Dude I'm geeked that vinyl sounds so damn good.

Open grounds are never a good thing, glad you got it fixed and your system grounded properly. And of course all the sonics benefit of having the outlet feeding your gear correctly.

DaveWin88

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2023, 01:06 am »
Thank you Mr Big. Sorry for the slow response. Listening to vinyl exclusively. Loving the sound and giving the CD player a much needed break.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2023, 11:39 pm by DaveWin88 »