Dishwasher reliability and performance?

Craig B

Re: Dishwasher reliability and performance?
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2021, 11:23 am »
Interesting thread. Our dishwasher is original to our house, so it's been in service just over 16 years, and I'm pretty sure we'll be replacing it in the next couple of years, so I'm interested in hearing others' experiences with different brands and stores. It still works well, but our well water managed to take what I'm sure was nothing more than a pinprick in the plastic coating of the lower rack, right near the rear wheel mounts, and turned it into a balloon of rust. I expect it could sever completely any day now, and no longer hold the tray level, or allow it to roll in and out.

Replace an entire dishwasher because of a failed tray, you ask? Well, it turns out replacement trays are still available, but they cost - get this - over $400.

Digi-G

« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2021, 05:44 pm »
Kitchen Aid here.  It sucks balls.  About 8 years old.  Within the first 3-4 years the rollers on the racks broke (I had to fix them w/ stainless fasteners) and the main board went out.

It's tempermental now.  It once stopped working and was dead for months - I assumed it was the board again.  Then started working again for no apparent reason.

I'm pretty sure it's their POS model.

mhconley

« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2021, 07:22 pm »
We have a top of the line 6-10 year old KitchenAid dishwasher that is dead silent in operation and works flawlessly. I replaced the pieces that allowed the top rack to adjust up and down and a few other small plastic rack parts. The rack adjuster replacement was completely redesigned and seems much more durable than what was originally installed.

We love this dishwasher and that’s saying something because I HATE KitchenAid large appliances. The refrigerator bought at the same time was absolute garbage and the over-range microwave blew up about 6 months ago. We replaced those with LG appliances.

eBay is an excellent source for appliance parts. New OEM parts are usually pennies on the dollar vs. some of the appliance parts websites, especially those attached to the appliance brand.

Martin

ctviggen

« Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2021, 10:48 am »
I do note for our current Bosch dishwasher, in for at least 9 years, I have had to replace part of the handle that broke.  Ordered the part and had it, kept it a long time thinking the repair was difficult to do. Finally did it, then realized it was a 15 minute repair.

The door lock finally is going bad.  I've ordered that and will replace this weekend.  So, two parts in 9+ years. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2021, 12:08 pm »
Today's appliances are designed to last 10 years.  Sales people will tell you that.  Our Maytag is 16 years old and still chugging along.  Has never dried well and is getting worse.  Fairly quiet.  Wish Speed Queen made dishwashers, their washer/dryers are commercial rated (found in laundromats) to last 10,000 loads!