Your thoughts about "TurnMeUp!

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
Your thoughts about "TurnMeUp!
« on: 28 Jan 2008, 05:08 pm »
There has been some discussion and much grumbling about how the record industry has pushed the loudness controls to their maximum limits thereby eliminating much of the dynamic range we experience in vinyl and early cds.  Well a group of folks have decided to put deeds and action behind their dissatisfaction and formed the “TurnMeUp” organization.  I applaud them for walking the talk but I don’t think they can stop this phenomenon, because they are playing catch up to what has taken over most if not all control rooms.  The vast majority of the listening public appear to accept the loudness mastering because most of their listening is done via iPod ear plugs and car stereos.  What’s your thoughts?  Will this effort grow legs and make a difference or never get off the ground?

TurnMeUp! - Founded by Grammy-winning engineer/producer Charles Dye, alternative indie artist John Ralston, and studio-owner/podcaster Allen Wagner, Turn Me Up!™ is a non-profit music industry organization working together with a group of highly respected artists and recording professionals to give artists back the choice to release more dynamic records.

To be clear, it's not our goal to discourage loud records; they are, of course, a valid choice for many artists. We simply want to make the choice for a more dynamic record an option for artists.

Today, artists generally feel they have to master their records to be as loud as everybody else's. This certainly works for many artists. However, there are many other artists who feel their music would be better served by a more dynamic record, but who don't feel like that option is available to them.

This all comes down to the moment a consumer hears a record, and the fear that if the record is more dynamic, the consumer won't know to just turn up the volume. This is an understandable concern, and one Turn Me Up! is working to resolve.”

http://www.turnmeup.org/index.shtml
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2008, 12:58 am by laserman »

nathanm

Re: Your thoughts about "Turn It Up!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2008, 05:51 pm »
I think it's great that attention is being brought to the issue.  It's a PR problem, we have the truth on our side but it has to be made palpable to the average joe.  You have to convince people that compression is not actually cool, it's not actually loud, and it's not actually giving any more intensity or impact.  It's just a superficial auditory lie.  It's actually wimpy instead of strong.  But I have so little faith in the public.  It seems as if they don't care.  I don't listen with earbuds, but damn, don't these mixes just fatigue the hell out of you?  You put them side by side and the compressed mix sounds so strained and blaring.

People do seem to accept dynamics in movies though, so it's not like the concept is lost on them.  You can have both dialogue and explosions at appropriate levels.  The difference between a modern music CD and a movie DVD is often crazy.  For movies I can put my SCPA's volume at 12 o'clock for a reasonable level but some music CDs I can put on the first click and still not be truly "quiet".   

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2008, 08:49 pm »
I agree with all this and would like to see a similar initiative in the live sound arena, for exactly the same reasons.

Mixing engineers are not totally without guilt on this, although it is easy to blame the client.

I have noticed very recently a re-discovery amongst mix engineers of minimally compressed or even completely uncompressed mixes, and how nice that is to listen to. One engineer said something to the effect of "I always wondered why my early mixes sounded so great - then I realized that was before I had a compressor".

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2008, 10:54 pm »
If the recordings are to have a larger dynamic range, they will actually end up quieter by averaging. Highly compressed music can be controlled and brought close to redline throughout the recording, making a "louder" recording. Unfortunately, doing so reduces dynamic range and hence, the excitement of the music. I am for keeping to the dynamics of the original performance. A great example of dynamic range in a recording would be Holst the Planets by Telarc or Arron Copland's "Music of America" also on Telarc. You would be warned to monitor the volume control as the quite passages can become very quite, then suddenly explode, much like the original symphony. If that is what this group is all for, them I'm with them, but the "turn it up" statement is kind of misleading.

Wayner :D

Gordy

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2008, 11:45 pm »
A truly great example of dynamic range is "our own" Russell Dawkin's recording of conductor Aram Ghrabekian's Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet suites and Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet or his recording of International Guitar Night II Amazon info   :thumb:

orthobiz

Re: Your thoughts about "TurnMeUp!
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2008, 01:32 am »
Turn Me Up has to do with simply turning up the volume control if you want to listen louder. But I agree, it's misleading unless you have already comprehended and bought into the concept.

Isn't there a list of CD's that aren't compressed? Ones that are listenable? I would appreciate it because I still listen to new music...and buy new music. But at least I know why the old stuff sounds so good!

biz