Stevie Wonder suspending tour, having kidney transplant

dB Cooper

Wow. I have met Stevie Wonder years ago. Incredibly nice man with no 'superstar' attitude at all. Hope he'll be OK.

Mile-long URL here

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Stevie Wonder suspending tour, having kidney transplant
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2019, 02:43 pm »
  Wish him the best.

charles

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2019, 04:51 pm »
A national treasure, hope he recovers completely.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2019, 05:44 pm »
Best wishes for him/family

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2019, 06:32 am »
So sad to hear it . . . a musical genius with a beautiful heart.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2019, 10:08 am »
Wonder if he was on dialysis prior (nearly all are), why he's suffering from kidney disease (and what disease), and how long he waited for a donor kidney (some never get a transplant).    Mickey Mantle is the classic example of a celebrity organ recipient.  He was an alcoholic who never should have gotten one, but did in exchange for being a spokesperson for transplant, then died shortly afterwards.

Getting a transplant is not a cake walk.  Donor organs can fail to "take".  Complications happen.  You now have a foreign object inside of you that the rest of your body is trying to reject, so you're dependent on uber-expensive anti-rejection drugs for the rest of your life.  And those drugs make the patient more susceptible to all sorts of infection.

My son (age 6) got two liver transplants 30 years ago but only survived a few months due to complications.  I pray it goes better for Stevie.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2019, 07:21 pm by JLM »

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2019, 04:59 pm »
I have a friend whose son waited around eight years for a kidney.

Musician Papa John Phillips (another renowned boozer) was spotted drinking in a NYC bar literally days after getting his liver... Guess he figured he had reset the odometer.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2019, 05:31 pm »
This is why I am an organ donor - they won't do me any good after I'm dead, but they might help someone else in need. 

RoadTripper

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2019, 06:29 pm »
Mantle's was a liver transplant. As we have only one, they always come from a recently deceased person. Which is why it's controversial when a celebrity leap-frogs others. In the case of a kidney, they come from living persons more often than not (I am guessing here). The first thing I thought of reading about the supremely gifted Stevie Wonder was that there were probably people lining up to donate.